Classic Aspie Moments. Share your own.

Page 1 of 11 [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 6:21 pm

Although I often come across as capable, confident and able to most people, once in a while, I'll mess things up with someone or make a social faux pas; the classic "Aspie moment"!

Classic AS moment happened just now, in fact. My good friend was telling me a few days ago how she liked this guy in this band. I find out the band is playing this weekend in the city where I used to live. Out of excitement and out of a possible chance to see her (I haven't seen her in months and we've been trying to catch up with each other to no avail), I left her a casual message on her facebook saying "are you going to this? I wanna meet that guy"...then she deleted the message and warned me that I shouldn't talk about him publicly because he has no idea that she likes him. I was so excited about seeing her though that I wasn't thinking things through! Luckily I apologized and she laughed it off, saying that she wasn't mad, and now we're just talking about the band. :)

Share your classic aspie moments here, if you're willing to laugh at them a little of course. :P

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 6:26 pm

I told my husband that I didn't love him on the day I married him but fell madly in love with him over the first two years we were married. He looked Sooo hurt but I he got through it. We're married for 18 years now. He's an aspie too.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 6:56 pm

Just had one yesterday going on to today.

My mom for no reason whatsoever really got on me for not doing my own laundry last night. But how can they tell me to do laundry and then not tell me how to work the washer and dryer?

When I was in college, I had to learn on my own something that people have gotten on me in high school since I was living in the dorm. However the washers and dryers in the dorms were much more simpler and easier to operate as all I had to do was determine whether a piece of clothing was warm wash or cold wash according to the tags then keep the whites and colors separate.

However the washer at my parents house is a much more complex system with way too many controls and way too many variants of wash to choose from with no idea what it means. Instead of having hot, warm, or cold wash....the controls are more like cold-warm, warm-warm, warm-hot, cold-cold, and I'm going WTF? I tried to explain this to my family but they think I am full of it as usual but it's their own fault for NEVER teaching me how to use the washer. :x

It's quite Aspie because nothing is more irritating than being told to do something and then not having ANY understanding as to how you're supposed to do it.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 7:52 pm

Oh man. My mom's washer and dryer are quite complicated like that, as well. I don't live there, so there is more leniency (once and a while i take my laundry to her house.)

Well. I got this sweet job. They are always hiring for this particular position. So, I want my friends to join me. What do I do? INFORMATIONINFORMATIONINFORMATIONINFORMATIONINFORMATIONINFORMATIONINFORMATIONINFORMATIONINFORMATION.

And no one applies. I feel a bit like a jerk sometimes. Meh. I did learn from the situation, though. Ask if they have a job BEFORE telling them about it? or something... :roll:

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 8:11 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:

My mom for no reason whatsoever really got on me for not doing my own laundry last night. But how can they tell me to do laundry and then not tell me how to work the washer and dryer?

When I was in college, I had to learn on my own something that people have gotten on me in high school since I was living in the dorm. However the washers and dryers in the dorms were much more simpler and easier to operate as all I had to do was determine whether a piece of clothing was warm wash or cold wash according to the tags then keep the whites and colors separate.

However the washer at my parents house is a much more complex system with way too many controls and way too many variants of wash to choose from with no idea what it means. Instead of having hot, warm, or cold wash....the controls are more like cold-warm, warm-warm, warm-hot, cold-cold, and I'm going WTF? I tried to explain this to my family but they think I am full of it as usual but it's their own fault for NEVER teaching me how to use the washer. :x

It's quite Aspie because nothing is more irritating than being told to do something and then not having ANY understanding as to how you're supposed to do it.

I always get into that situation too: I hate being told to do something and then no one explicitly teaches me how to do it. My job at a coffee shop was exactly like this: they told me to toast some bread but not that it was only supposed to go in a particular way...and there were lots of details that i didn't know unless someone told me I was screwing up. Lots of questions were asked by me, and of course, everyone got annoyed that I somehow didn't know the rules for things. Well, I would know them if you actually told me them instead of sitting around waiting for me to mess up!

Washers and dryers are confusing though, each one you run into has a different set of rules and it's not like you'll ever find an instruction book anywhere so you often have to figure out how to work them yourself! It's so boggling!

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 8:14 pm

The number of gaffes I have made because of my literal mindedness would fill several thick books. Taking things literally is the Story of My Life.

ruveyn

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 8:20 pm

Someone told me once that her friend thought I was good looking. He was pretty cute himself so I screwed up my courage and went up to him.

Him: Hi
Me: Hi

How are you blah blah blah etc.

Me: We should get together for coffee sometime, after all I'm nobody and so are you.
Him: Erm, bye.

I went up later to apologize and try to express what I had been trying to say and was once again at a loss for words.

He said, It's cool, you're just you.

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2010, 8:22 pm

My worst aspie moment has to be asking the wrong girl out when I was a kid

the 'intended target' lived in my neighbourhood, she was attractive and funny and we got along really well, even better she showed signs of being interested. After great deliberation a endless practice and refinement of my 'will you go out with me?' speech, I saw her in her backyard and decided that today was the day.

I walked over grabbed her attention, I launched straight into my speech. I mean I was so intent on what I was doing, there was no way she could get a word in edge wise. She had a slightly blank & confused look on her face, but I get that allot.

I finally reached the end, looked up and waited for an answer, she looked straight at me and said "who the f**k are you?" 8O . I had just asked out her younger sister (who I had never met). The worst part is that they were not that close in age, and did not really look alike.

They say the worst that a girl can ever say is no, well I managed a new low :D

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 8:23 pm

Long, long ago a girl I was in bed with said "Turn Around" It turns out she wanted to do 69. But Aspie me rotated 180 degrees on my longitudal axis. That is Aspie literal mindedness at work.

ruveyn

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 8:52 pm

I was turning in a sick note to HR at work. When the HR guy held out his hand I got confused and thought he wanted to hold hands. I figured, "Erm, well... ok..." and grabbed his hand like a little kid. He shook my hand off angrily and told me "No, give me the papers." I just gave him the note and walked away.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 9:07 pm

Aimless wrote:
Me: We should get together for coffee sometime, after all I'm nobody and so are you.

Emily Dickinson reference? 8)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

whitchry9
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2010, 9:09 pm

anneurysm wrote:
raisedbyignorance wrote:

I always get into that situation too: I hate being told to do something and then no one explicitly teaches me how to do it. My job at a coffee shop was exactly like this: they told me to toast some bread but not that it was only supposed to go in a particular way...and there were lots of details that i didn't know unless someone told me I was screwing up. Lots of questions were asked by me, and of course, everyone got annoyed that I somehow didn't know the rules for things. Well, I would know them if you actually told me them instead of sitting around waiting for me to mess up!

Washers and dryers are confusing though, each one you run into has a different set of rules and it's not like you'll ever find an instruction book anywhere so you often have to figure out how to work them yourself! It's so boggling!

This really bothers me. I can't do something without detailed instructions. Especially if it's something new. I need to know each specific step so I can make sure I get it right.
And I can't handle it when I'm supposed to figure these sorts of things out on my own.

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

13 Oct 2010, 9:23 pm

I sometimes find myself getting muddled with politeness expressions like "please" and "thank you". It happened today. I was on campus at my university, and someone walked up to me and asked if I knew where a certain building was. I'd been there before, but was coming at it from a different angle than usual, so I paused a moment and said something like "I do, I just need to remember which one it is". Someone else must have told him/pointed it out to him, although I didn't see/hear, because he said "Oh, that's it, ok", and turned to head off. I said "Thank you", then realized he hadn't done anything for me so it really wasn't an occasion for me to say "thank you".

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 9:40 pm

conundrum wrote:
Aimless wrote:

Emily Dickinson reference? 8)

I've actually never read her, so I don't know.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 10:23 pm

I had a classic "Aspie" moment this past weekend. I was working for a family friend at his clothing store. A couple came in with their daughter who was about six or seven y/o. The little girl was observing me much like kids often observe strangers. I took a pair of shorts her father wanted to try on off a rack. The little girl looked up at me and giggled and said...."your hands are shaking".

I was pretty taken aback by this statement. Plenty of adults have commented on my tremors over the years, but this was the first time a little kid did. I looked at her and just said, "yeah.....they do that sometimes".

Well.....obviously she noticed something in my facial expressions that scared her, because her sunny-happy little kid face just vanished immediately. She got this scared look on her face and just backed away from me.

I guess maybe she thought she had offended me and now I was mad at her or something. Perhaps she just sized me up as weirdo or whatever....I really don't know. She did not offend me or make me mad in the least. I was just embarassed and really didn't know how to respond to her. I don't smile much and I guess I just looked angry or crazy to her.

At any rate....her parents were preoccupied looking at merchandise, so they didn't seem to notice any of this. If they did....maybe they were embarassed by her remarks to a complete stranger. She was a little kid, so of course I wasn't upset by her comment. I probably would be a bit upset had this been an adult. Adults ought to at least be well-informed enough to realize that if someone has hand tremors, they likely have a medical disorder which is causing the tremors. Few adults would ever comment on a person's obvious physical disability, so I think it's pretty rude when they say something about someone's hand tremors or something similar.

Anyway....this was pretty much a classic "Aspie" moment for me. It's pretty bad when you even alienate little kids :roll:

redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

13 Oct 2010, 10:30 pm

Cassia wrote:
I sometimes find myself getting muddled with politeness expressions like "please" and "thank you". It happened today. I was on campus at my university, and someone walked up to me and asked if I knew where a certain building was. I'd been there before, but was coming at it from a different angle than usual, so I paused a moment and said something like "I do, I just need to remember which one it is". Someone else must have told him/pointed it out to him, although I didn't see/hear, because he said "Oh, that's it, ok", and turned to head off. I said "Thank you", then realized he hadn't done anything for me so it really wasn't an occasion for me to say "thank you".

Reminds me of the time one of my cousins said "Happy Birthday" to me and I blankly replied "Happy Birthday". I blame it on my birthday being only eight days after Christmas.