Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 11:10 pm

do any of you fellow aspies enjoy the nothingness of doing nothing?
i like to not have any school, any work, anything i have to do, for very long periods of time, so that i can just do nothing. i used to sit here, and smoke pot, and do nothing. then the pot became a problem, so now i sit here sober and do nothing, and miss the weed.
there are times i like to think, or like to do w/e, but then i get tired of it. its like i'm very tired from no sleep, but i did sleep. then i just don't feel the energy to do, a thing; but i do put effort into setting it up so i can do nothing for a long time.
sometimes i will just here at the comp, watching movies and tv eps of my fav shows, all that i seen 100 times before. i have a couple hdd's full of movies and tv eps. i just put them on 1 after the other, and wish there was some system that handled the in between time while i have to pick something else to watch. i can program, so i could write a program to remember the last ep of every show i watched. then when i click that show, it put on the next ep. it seems like a real good idea, but i never got/(will get) around to coding it...
am i just lazy?

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 11:49 pm

matt271,

I spend too much time watching TV and being in forums such as this(Though I generally limit it to one area of one forum). Actually, I HATE the idea of doing NOTHING. I like to think I am always accomplishing something. In a few minutes, I will shut my eyes but, being sick of the inaction of the past, I will try to do things to make tomorrow better. I won't be doing NOTHING as I have in the past when sleeping.

If you like doing NOTHING so much, etc... Why are you smoking pot?

Steve

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 11:54 pm

It makes the "NOTHING" more better.... wait. it makes the nothing more enjoyable... i can't say this w/out it being a paradox.
if i smoke the right amount, i can almost make my mind turn off. its like i forget to think. only then can i truly enjoy the nothingness.

TeeTee_Mom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2007, 7:13 am

matt271 wrote:
It makes the "NOTHING" more better.... wait. it makes the nothing more enjoyable... i can't say this w/out it being a paradox.
if i smoke the right amount, i can almost make my mind turn off. its like i forget to think. only then can i truly enjoy the nothingness.

This may seem a ridiculous question but could you be depressed?

tolga7t
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2007, 7:25 am

oh man I'm totally with you on this one.. I've been living alone in the past few months, and all I do is sit stoned and watch media player's visualization while I listen to my favorite music. I like feeling "empty" you know?

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 7:28 am

TeeTee_Mom is probably right! When I was depressed, I OFTEN said I wished I could just TURN MYSELF OFF like data in startrek TNG!

Steve

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 10:27 am

TeeTee_Mom wrote:
This may seem a ridiculous question but could you be depressed?

i never though i was depressed, but it is a possibility. i will google it.

tolga7t wrote:
oh man I'm totally with you on this one.. I've been living alone in the past few months, and all I do is sit stoned and watch media player's visualization while I listen to my favorite music. I like feeling "empty" you know?

i do that sometimes too. i recommend winamp with the milkdrop visualization. its way better then windows media players ones ;-)

SteveK wrote:
TeeTee_Mom is probably right! When I was depressed, I OFTEN said I wished I could just TURN MYSELF OFF like data in startrek TNG!

Steve

one time while experimenting with salvia, i had a trip where it just turned off my 5 senses. i couldn't see, hear, feel, taste, small, nothing. it was the most fascinating experience i ever had. i was just sitting on my bed when i came down, my pipe dropped on the floor w/ ashes everything. i kind of figured out what happened.
i don't know if thats exactly what you mean by turn off like data. but i thought i liked that experience because it was so... something that the brain doesn't normally do, not because of depression. but if it is depression then i guess i should do something about it.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 10:45 am

Data is the name of an android on ST TNG. In a few episodes it was revealed he had a switch that could LITERALLY turn him off.

Steve

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 10:50 am

Maybe you like doing nothing? Monks don't exactly jam out on guitars or play poker. I'd consider myself more cut out for that lifestyle then this one.

I dont do "a lot" but I enjoy reading and studying on various things or philosophy/psychology/spirituality. Some state that is nothing and unproductive but I'm happy so screw them. Better then watching 4 hours of t.v. a day

If you are happy then theres nothing to really worry :wink:

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 11:11 am

Corvus wrote:
Maybe you like doing nothing? Monks don't exactly jam out on guitars or play poker. I'd consider myself more cut out for that lifestyle then this one.

Many socially or culturally acceptable ways to "do nothing", I just happen not to be powerful or rich, so my (physical) inactivity & (mental) eccentricity isn't valued or useful. Personally, I couldn't handle the ascetic (and often hard-working, actually) lifestyle of a monk, but I see your point.
Corvus wrote:
I dont do "a lot" but I enjoy reading and studying on various things or philosophy/psychology/spirituality. Some state that is nothing and unproductive but I'm happy so screw them.

I do spend most of my time thinking & feeling, only paying attention to my body when I have to. Am addicted to reading (non-fiction) material, incl. ingredient labels on whatever's in front of my face, it's a reflex that I didn't realize not everyone shares. I think about so much all the time, but it doesn't result in a product or project, only more thoughts. I really cherish the luxury of not having many external demands (example: school) placed upon me, and being allowed to follow my own imperatives or inclinations for how & when to occupy myself as I see fit.
Corvus wrote:
Better then watching 4 hours of t.v. a day

Well, sometimes I do watch lots of tv, but I find justification for doing so in analyzing the content. Also, each of us will have different ideas of what constitutes "quality" vs. "fluff" programming.

tolga7t
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2007, 11:15 am

matt271 wrote:

i do that sometimes too. i recommend winamp with the milkdrop visualization. its way better then windows media players ones ;-)

i used to milkdrop before, now i use g-force which i find just as amazing (for winamp), give it a try :D

god damn see i love this forum, i always thought i was weird for just sitting and looking at odd shapes, but it feels good to know that I'm not the only one :D

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 4:18 pm

I hate the idea of just doing nothing. I can't stand it when I used to be at Warm Springs GA the Roseavelt place there and then being kicked out of there. I realized that I'm stuck at home doing nothing with no body being in my room isolated that it sucked being in the house from 9 till later. Because back there I used to be able to stay out talking to people all night because it was set up like a college.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 6:42 pm

I'm the master of doing nought.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 7:33 pm

nothing=awesome

although i have this problem where i can't stay still. for example, on WP i frequently need to get up and move aroud. i'm always up for doing something if does not include work, hard thinking, or math.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 8:44 pm

To be honest, I've always looked for a girl that could do "nothing."

tolga7t
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2007, 9:06 pm

Corvus wrote: