Page 4 of 18 [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next

threequarters
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2013, 11:29 pm

However....I wouldn't be able to focus as I can now. I wouldn't see things differently and come up with previously untested methods of doing things which usually end up working and which others adopt after they are shown how they work. I wouldn't have many of the skills I have today because many of them came about as the result of my lack of desire to waste time on mass popular culture and gossip. I wouldn't speak a dozen languages had I not had hyperlexia from AS. I wouldn't be able to pick up and play just about any musical instrument.

Still liking the same authors and foods is trivial next to these things, IMO. There is a crucial core of being that is specifically the product of AS and to a lesser extent the life one constructs because of it. Those are the most defining characteristics in my mind because they are unique. And they are not things that require a "cure".

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2013, 11:50 pm

threequarters wrote:
However....I wouldn't be able to focus as I can now. I wouldn't see things differently and come up with previously untested methods of doing things which usually end up working and which others adopt after they are shown how they work. I wouldn't have many of the skills I have today because many of them came about as the result of my lack of desire to waste time on mass popular culture and gossip. I wouldn't speak a dozen languages had I not had hyperlexia from AS. I wouldn't be able to pick up and play just about any musical instrument.

Not everyone can do these things. I can't. Does that mean I've wasted my time when I should have been learning?

Still liking the same authors and foods is trivial next to these things, IMO.

In your opinion. I like those things. I could care less about speaking other languages or playing instruments. That's trivial to me. I'm good at taking care of my family, which might be trivial to you, it's not to me or to them. I'd still be good at the things I'm good at if I didn't have AS.

There is a crucial core of being that is specifically the product of AS and to a lesser extent the life one constructs because of it. Those are the most defining characteristics in my mind because they are unique. And they are not things that require a "cure".

The life I've constructed is indistinguishable from the lives of NTs. Did I do it wrong then? Should I have not tried to fit in and learn to enjoy things and relationships? I thought that was the goal of everybody here.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Dec 2013, 12:32 am

I am pretty sure I would be unrecognizable if I were NT.

I can't even really relate to the idea of being NT.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 4:16 am

Verdandi wrote:

Is that because you are only recognizable by your AS signs and symptoms, or because you think you might lose some IQ points if you became NT? What would make you unrecognizable if you didn't have AS, suddenly?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 5:34 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Is that because you are only recognizable by your AS signs and symptoms, or because you think you might lose some IQ points if you became NT? What would make you unrecognizable if you didn't have AS, suddenly?

NT's can have high IQs although I wonder if their intelligence expresses itself differently.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 6:55 am

goldfish21 wrote:
HDLMatchette wrote:
they advocate a cure and prevention of autism, write poems that claim we are "not living" and are "born to ruin marriages"

I'm all for the former; especially given what I've written here on wp in the thread linked in my signature.
I've contacted Autism Speaks about it and they replied and informed me that they continue to finance research in the area of gut dysbiosis. I offered to provide any info/help I can to whomever it'll help as well as emailed the research doctor that conducted the study on probiotic treatments in mice. Autism speaks sounds like a valuable organization on that front.

But the latter... claiming that we're "not living," and are "born to ruin marriages," is pretty downright rude and nasty stuff. Must be a bunch of Aspies themselves if they're oblivious to the offence that saying things like that is bound to cause. Meh, ah well, at least they're doing good work on finding treatments/cures/preventions, so if we have to put up with a little bit of assholery in the process, so be it, it's a means to an end.

I am glad you followed through on the suggestions I made on the now defunct thread.

Unlike every other disability organization there are no Autistic members in leadership positions at Autism Speaks. They had a prominent Aspie who is a "curabie" who just resigned in disgust after years of trying effect change from the inside. So I am pretty sure the policy is not a result of oblivious Aspies. The policy is not a result of obliviousness at all but a deliberate tactical decision to market and fund raise by creating fear. Using fear is a time tested method of successful fundraising and gaining political power.

Our social problems are not based on us being wrong but us being the minority and the human tendency to fear and lash out at the unknown. You always ended your posts by saying "suit yourself" . I took that as meaning you don't agree with me but agree with my right to make choices you don't like. If a vaccine or pill or diet is found that gets rid of Autism and the hatred mentality of Autism Speaks takes hold I would seriously wonder if I would have a choice to refuse the cure or society punishments would be so severe there would be no realistic choice but to conform and take the cure.

Autisim is a pervasive condition so it is a large part of who I am. While it is tempting to get rid of the effects that I don't like it is realistic to worry about the unintended consequences of suddenly getting rid of it all after 56 years. It should be my right to say no and not be bullied or persecuted for refusing a cure.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 7:06 am

It is your right.

And yes, I meant agree to disagree, do as you wish, suit yourself etc.

I'm a firm believer in personal rights and freedoms, as well as freedom of speech. I quite like the Voltaire quote "I may not agree with what it is you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

From my own personal experience of experiencing life cripplingly strong Autism symptoms, then doing what I've done to treat myself & reducing them nearly completely, I cannot fathom wanting to go back to having stronger symptoms that hinder my ability to work towards goals in life & business.

I also tend to think that others saying they wouldn't want to reduce/eliminate their symptoms comes from a combination of things. ie altered perceptions due to Autism, stubbornness due to Autism, fear of change & the unknown, making Autism a part of one's identity & thus wanting to hold onto that, believing that Autism is a gift and shouldn't be treated or cured regardless of negative symptoms holding people back from reaching their true potential etc. But as someone who's experienced both now, I am absolutely 100% behind reducing/eliminating symptoms and carrying on with a happier, healthier, more productive & fulfilling life without all of the negative hinderances and annoyances of strong Autism symptoms. But that's just MY take on it. To each their own.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2013, 7:57 am

well if you don't agree with something like this why would we need you to fight for our right to believe in what we believe?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 8:00 am

You don't & you wouldn't get it from me if you did need it. I've been abundantly clear in this thread that I support treatments and cures, especially since I've been able to completely minimize my own symptoms via diet and herbal treatments as is outlined in the thread link in my signature.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2013, 8:03 am

but you also said you would fight for our right to not believe in a cure. you may wanna do it but you won't. some rapists in federal jail like to contribute to good causes, but they can't/shouldn't, and the reason is because they set a bad example. you set a bad one for people like me.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 10:44 am

HDL--I don't know about anyone else here, but I'd fight for people's rights to believe whatever the heck they wanted. I'm really not into thought police, you know? And in an autism rights movement, we have to be inclusive of all opinions, at least the ones that don't involve thinking it's okay to hurt other people or manipulate them or whatever. You can't call it "autistic rights" if you don't include autistic people in general. It's a little more difficult when your group has many different views on things, but I do think we can all agree on things like, autistic kids need a good education; autistic adults need to be employed; autistic people need to be treated with respect. Those are the really important things. Mind you, I'm still going to be yelling at the researchers to focus on education/therapy/inclusion rather than cure, and so are many other people who think curing autism is useless or unethical. But I won't isolate myself from people who think differently. We're all autistic, we're a minority, and we need to stick together to protect each other's rights.

OliveOilMom wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

No, I'm recognizable by a lot other than my AS, but AS affects every other part of me at least slightly.

You might understand this better if you think about transgendered individuals. A trans guy, for example, is male, but looks female unless he takes pains to change his physical appearance. Now, gender isn't a huge part of who you are, necessarily. Women and men can do most of the same things; women can get pregnant (usually) and men are slightly stronger (on average). Other than that, it's a lot of cultural stuff.

So if there's so little difference between the genders, why is our trans guy so uncomfortable being seen as a woman? Maybe he even has feminine traits. I know one trans guy who sews, and he's good at it, too. But he's male despite his socioculturally female traits, and he spent a lot of time feeling awkward and horrible in the role of a female that the world put him in.

Turning me into an NT would change me to a greater degree than if you physically switched my body to male. I identify as autistic. I think in an autistic way. I interact in an autistic way. Those things are part of my identity, much more than my gender. I think I see being turned into an NT a lot like a trans guy would feel about having his gender switched to female to match his body. Yes, being trans is hard, and the world treats you badly... but he's male, not female.

On the other hand, I can see how some trans people would willingly take a "cure" that would change their mental gender to match their bodies. They've been hurt a lot and it's really hard; plus that's their mind to make the decision about. But I'd be scared--scared that kids would be forced into the gender roles their parents wanted, just because a "cure" existed. That's part of what scares me about an autism cure, too.

Hopefully using transgender people as an example hasn't been confusing or disrespectful... I'm not trans and don't know what it's like, so I hope it's a valid analogy.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 12:17 pm

HDLMatchette wrote:
but you also said you would fight for our right to not believe in a cure. you may wanna do it but you won't. some rapists in federal jail like to contribute to good causes, but they can't/shouldn't, and the reason is because they set a bad example. you set a bad one for people like me.

I said I'd defend your right to your opinion, not that I'd join your fight. Big difference.

Your comparison is absurd. For one, if a rapist wants to repent by doing something good while they're in prison who is anyone to tell them they can't or shouldn't? Rape is an extreme case, but many people set bad examples.. it doesn't mean they are entirely bad nor that everything they ever do is bad and always will be. I have not set a bad example for you. I've done what's right for me. Just as I respect your right to do what's right for you, you ought to respect that I and others have the right to do what's right for us. Personally, I believe I set an excellent example for striving for improvement and improved health and functioning in society, if it's not an example you'd like to follow, then don't. It really is that simple. But just because it isn't something you would choose to do for yourself does not make it a bad example.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2013, 12:20 pm

but we have to teach them that searching for a cure isn't right

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 1:32 pm

Sure. If you're right and someone else is wrong, the issue is important enough, and the other person is listening, then that's what you do. Teach, as in explain, debate, research. You can do that without making an enemy of the other person.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2013, 1:38 pm

but can't you see how many murders and kidnappings these beliefs like this have caused?

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 1:46 pm

HDLMatchette wrote:
they advocate a cure and prevention of autism, write poems that claim we are "not living" and are "born to ruin marriages"
In other words an anti autisim hate group in disguise as a help group of sorts.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList