Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

09 Feb 2007, 11:00 pm

Hey guys, I want to try a fish called "fugu" which is a japanese blowfish.

Apparently it's a delicacy in Japan. They only serve it in February so I thought it'd be a perfect date for you and your valentine.

Here's what the reviewer wrote:

Considering that you’re paying $150 to taste a fish whose internal organs secrete a poison that is 270 times more toxic than cyanide, and will cause agonizing death within an hour if the specially trained and licensed fugu chef who surgically removes the deadly organs has had a bad day, I’m not sure it is worth it. Besides that, the fish itself has very little taste.

Here's a pic:

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 11:03 pm

*begins humming Taps* We'll miss you, alex

j/k, you know how i am.

Just be cautious, those things have killed before. Otherwise, dig in. :D

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 11:05 pm

Because of the risk of the venom, I would never try it, even though Homer Simpson said it was "fan-fugu-tastic".

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 11:11 pm

I'd try it.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 11:17 pm

I don't eat fish, so I'll never try it. However if I did eat fish, I would only want to try it in Japan. I know somebody that did eat it in Tokyo back in 1990. it's esentially sashimi sliced thin enough to see the pattern of the plate. They said that small amounts of tetrodotoxin are in the flesh. --Just enough to numb the lips.

kindofbluenote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Feb 2007, 11:29 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Because of the risk of the venom, I would never try it, even though Homer Simpson said it was "fan-fugu-tastic".

Tim

Well, Homer did make a very detailed list of all the things to do when he thought he was a goner. That's a pretty Aspie thing to do, I can imagine myself making a list for such an occasion.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 11:31 pm

no way

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 11:32 pm

But it looks too cute to eat.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 11:54 pm

if you eat too much of it any any one time you get high

didn't know it was only served in feb

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 11:55 pm

alex wrote:

Apparently it's a delicacy in Japan. They only serve it in February so I thought it'd be a perfect date for you and your valentine.

Considering that you’re paying $150 to taste a fish whose internal organs secrete a poison that is 270 times more toxic than cyanide, and will cause agonizing death within an hour if the specially trained and licensed fugu chef who surgically removes the deadly organs has had a bad day, I’m not sure it is worth it. Besides that, the fish itself has very little taste.

Here's a pic:

^^'

You suicidal or something, Alex?

Get your will sorted out, find out who should look after Wrong Planet in your absence.....

(I'm not kidding here)

On sabbatical...

agent79
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2007, 12:18 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

So far, this is my favorite WrongPlanet quote EVER!

Thank you, Alex, for bringing the fugu fish up as conversation...therefore allowing this magnificent quote to occur.

PenitentSpark
Raven
Raven

10 Feb 2007, 12:20 am

I don't like fish, so if I ate that, I'd probably start barfing and everyone would think I ate a poisoned and badly prepared one :P

EDIT: 100th post! W00T!

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2007, 12:23 am

PenitentSpark wrote:
I don't like fish, so if I ate that, I'd probably start barfing and everyone would think I ate a poisoned and badly prepared one :P

EDIT: 100th post! W00T!
\

Congratulations!

PenitentSpark
Raven
Raven

10 Feb 2007, 12:26 am

Wow you have 3267 posts or something like that - Kinda funny how perspective jumps out at you like that :P

Has anyone here tried fugu? If (from alex's post) people think it has a not-so-much taste, why is it that people go through such lengths to eat them? You'd think someone will try to find a way to eat active landmines if it's the thrill they like :lol:

Nagy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Feb 2007, 12:28 am

Quatermass wrote:
alex wrote:

Here's a pic:

^^'

You suicidal or something, Alex?

Get your will sorted out, find out who should look after Wrong Planet in your absence.....

(I'm not kidding here)

I totally agree with you
270 times more toxic than cyanide , that means the smallest mistake .... whoa , no thanks 8O

My passions from a common spring.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2007, 1:09 am

At the end of the James Bond novel From Russia with Love, Rosa Klebb actually manages to poison Bond at the end of the novel with fugu on a small blade in her boot. The immediately following novel, Doctor No, actually explains that it's fugu, or tetrodotoxin. This novel was written in 1958, and fugu wasn't exactly well known ("Trust the Russians to use something no-one's ever heard of before" say Sir James Malony, a neurologist looking after Bond as he recovers), although it is mentioned again in the novel You Only Live Twice.

(The scenes in the film of Dr No about Bond changing his weapon to a Walther, due to his Beretta jamming and a woman nearly killing him is actually a reference to the novel of From Russia with Love, but when that novel became the second Bond film, the ending was obviously changed, as no doubt film audiences didn't want the film to end on a cliffhanger with Bond dying from fugu poisoning)

On sabbatical...