Can you dance rock and roll and/or salsa?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 6:44 pm

If yes, how did you learn?

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 7:37 pm

I know how to salsa along with doing various other latin based dances.

When I was 3 or 4, my parents lived temporarily in Heredia, Costa Rica. I learned how to speak fluently along with some of the dances since I was really into dancing as a youngster.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 7:51 pm

Did you learn from watching? I ask because I have NLD, so I can't learn from watching. I need to receive theoretical explanations and very slow, repetitive demonstration.

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 8:40 pm

this would also be a good place to suggest dances that are good to learn.

You are very likely an Aspie

Dr_Cheeba
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2013, 8:53 pm

I can't dance to save my life but I really want to learn! I can do the 2 step but that's about it.

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 10:17 pm

Moondust wrote:
Did you learn from watching? I ask because I have NLD, so I can't learn from watching. I need to receive theoretical explanations and very slow, repetitive demonstration.

No, I can't learn from watching either.

I was taught by doing. The locals grabbed me and we went out on the floor! :lol:

That being said I don't think I'd be able to describe it in detail enough to teach you how to salsa. :?

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 11:02 pm

Someone might mistake me for Godzilla wrecking Tokyo.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 11:33 pm

Kinda rusty now, but used to be into handjive/swing/jitterbug type dancing, and could do some salsa, and merengue.

All from workshops, and informal lessons.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 2:40 am

Not that I ever was good I did some dancing to rock and pogoing and other spastic new wave stuff back in the day. Now it's more like bobbing. But I still love Rock and Roll.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 2:57 am

And how did you learn the footwork, and to combine it with the turns and armwork?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 6:02 am

Moondust wrote:
And how did you learn the footwork, and to combine it with the turns and armwork?

I just let my body react to the music. Disco dances like "The Hustle" with its specific steps I could not do. Groups like Devo or The Talking heads were pretty spastic. So the music was tailor made for somebody like me.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 6:09 am

Why would I dance?

It exemplifies everything I hate about humanity.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 6:37 am

I am still learning how to walk normal lol.
It would be cool to dance, but right now I just fall down if i try.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 3:17 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Why would I dance?

It exemplifies everything I hate about humanity.

Fun and wiggliness? :huh:

VioletTigerLily
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Dec 2013, 3:39 pm

I've done some swing dancing and a tiny bit of salsa dancing. I've only ever danced as a follow, and in my experience it's easier to dance with a lead who knows what they're doing and is decisive in their movements. I've always thought that learning to follow is a lot easier than leading, but I've met people who've said the opposite, so I guess that's just a matter of preference. (Traditionally leads are male, but I've also known girls who lead, and all of the dance instructors I've met are open to teaching people to dance in either position.)

As for how I learned....well, it's been a long time, so I don't really remember details, but I think what we did in most of my classes was just watch the instructor and try to mimic their movements while you're watching. You generally start by learning simple steps, and you don't really do anything with your arms until you have the steps down. I always thought that learning what to do with your arms was the hardest part, though; I could never manage to do different things with my arms and legs at the same time. That's not as much of a problem with partnered dancing, though, since all you need to do with your arms is hold on to the other person, and pretty much anything else is done with your feet.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 3:46 pm

I just don't understand how so many people are able to learn just by watching others on the dance floor. Turns out the footwork for rock and roll, for example, has 2 very precise steps you have to make, it's not just walking back and forth to the rythm of the music as I was led to believe back when I tried in my teenage years.