Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 2:07 pm

my dreams sometimes involve embarrassing situations, or people asking questions i dont know the answer to.
or, when i was a nanny, i used to dream that i forgot where i put the infant, and i'd wake up with my heart racing.
once i dreamt a feral cat talked to me and said she wanted to be my cat. (no, i didnt take her home. she wouldnt go with me).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 2:47 pm

My dreams are quite strange. They involve changes such as moving, graduation or getting a job. There are some dreams I have about my past. Dreams that show how things would have been if I chose to do things differently. Those dreams take place in a high school setting and I'm more popular with my same age peers than I was in reality when I was in high school. I also look and dress they way I do now in those dreams and my peers praise me for having the guts to show my true style.

A lot of my dreams involve my friends or family and they involve things such as the different seasons of the year, Christmastime, swimming and other things to do with the seasons. They also have things to do with children, seniors and the disabled. I have dreams that I'm working at careers helping those people and talking to them.

There are dreams that have an element of travel in them. Half of those dreams take place in London and England and the other half of those dreams take place in many other cities and countries. A lot of my dreams involve time travel as well.

I also have dreams where there is a crime that needs to be solved and my friends, family and I work together with the police to solve them. Every person has a role in those dreams and I have my role as the spy of the team.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 4:20 pm

I often dream about work, not always my normal job.

I once had a very enjoyable dream where I worked as a man collecting seaweed while wearing a magic boilersuit which allowed me to breathe underwater. That was a fun job.

I did not enjoy the dream where I was a military policeman, that was horrible. I did things in the dream which disgusted me.

I also have had some other dreams where I have been at meetings at my normal workplace.

I once had a dream that my lab equipment had come to life, that was very odd.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 4:24 pm

How do you guys remember your dreams like that? That's very rare for me, when I wake up I try to remember them, but they are foggy.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 4:31 pm

For decades, I've had dreams about floating in the air. When floating, motion is relatively slow -- never more than walking speed. These dreams are becoming more and more prevalent -- probably well over 50% of my dreams.

Most of the floating is close to the floor or ground. Occasionally it might be rooftop or treetop height and then I start to worry about what happens if I suddenly lose the ability to float.

Very, very rarely does the height reach even 1,000 feet.

The dreams are nearly always very pleasant. I can only remember a couple of times when I dreamed someone was chasing me and I floated away from them.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 5:52 pm

Sometimes after lots of studying I dream in code. I dream about things I did or watched usually, but events rarely line up - programming language can stand in for thoughts & expressions alike.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 5:54 pm

Last edited by Willard on 17 Feb 2014, 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2014, 6:00 pm

Lots of my dreams are foggy and hard to remember. In my most vivid dreams, something always goes wrong with the solar system.

Once, when I was little, I had a nightmare about the sun crashing into the Earth. That was pretty scary. I ran over to the mailboxes about a block from my family's house. (Don't know why.) My mom fetched me and we ran to the front of the house. We stood there and watched as the sun got bigger ... and bigger ... and bigger ... and it swallowed up the sky ... and then I woke up.

A few years later, I dreamed of the sun slowly drifting away from Earth until it blinked out of existence. The news reporters were going crazy about it on TV. When the moment finally came, my grandpa grabbed me, pointed to the sun, and said something along the lines of, "Look, there it goes." The sun winked out, and the TV shut off at the same time. The unanimous thought/reaction was, "What are we going to do now?" Then, suddenly, the TV turned on again, and there stood the Winnie-the-Pooh characters, looking at us. They offered to let us come live with them in the Hundred Acre Wood. We didn't refuse. Me (holding my favorite toy, Bambi, and my favorite pillow), my mom, my dad, my sister, and my grandpa stepped through the TV screen and into the Wood, and we spent the rest of the dream touring it.

Then, a few months ago, I dreamed that me, some of my Honors English classmates, and some people that don't exist in the real world were trainees, part of some elite team that worked to protect the planets with life on them. The person guarding the Earth was dying, and the Earth picked a successor was picked among us. He was one of the people who didn't exist in the real world, and Asian guy who wore a black baseball cap. The people presiding over our training set the coordinates to Earth, and we tried to send him over. It was really a rather strange teleport system, because the teleport system was the ceiling. We had to throw this guy up high enough for the teleport to "catch" him with electric currents and teleport him to Earth. So we threw him up, all of us cheering, the Asian guy's identical twin brother cheering the loudest. We didn't throw him quite high enough. So we threw up again. Almost, but not quite there. If we threw him up a couple inches higher, he would make it. So we threw him up a third time, and we finally got him high enough. The only problem was that the teleport didn't catch him because it was malfunctioning. When he landed in our arms, the teleport system finished breaking down completely. The people in charge of us got to work fixing the teleport, and we were sent home.
It was Christmas that day, and at my house, I had a nice, fancy Christmas dinner with my family: my mom, my dad, my sister, my aunt, my uncle, and my grandpa. Then I heard something moving around in the basement, and I went to go investigate. There was a girl (not one who existed in the real world), a friend of mine, part of my trainee group, who had long, dark orange hair that was somewhat wavy on the sides and really vivid, bright, light emerald green eyes. She wasn't actually looking in our basement; she was investigating a secret set of computer rooms under my house that someone had put there. She had found it one time when she was visiting me. We discovered the computers were monitoring the trajectory of a star that was going to crash into the solar system and throw some of the planets out of orbit.
We raced back to the base. The guardian of the Earth had died. The people in charge of us knew about the oncoming star, and they had fixed the teleport system. Only one problem: the successor for the late guardian of the Earth had mysteriously vanished. There was a frenzied search. About an hour later, for some reason, I looked into a trash can just outside of the teleport system, and there he was. Turns out, the Asian twins weren't really Asian, or even human: they were part of a species of hand-sized, sapient, extra-terrestrial snails. They had just used some special technology that allowed them to assume human shape. He didn't look to good: he kept moving his head around in a slow circle, and he looked really sick. I picked up the hand-sized snail guy and called for the bosses. The bosses came, along with the snail's twin brother, who was still in human shape. They knew how to treat him, but it would take a few hours, so they sent me and my friend to the Earth to try and help with the situation.
This dream took place around the year 2020 or 2030. We landed in some mall that had been built between now and that time. My friend and I tried to figure out what to do, but we had no clue where to start. NASA finally saw the star coming, and warnings were issued on the TVs. Lots of people in the mall didn't believe them; why would they? They just kept shopping. This was huge mall; it was SEVEN STORIES HIGH. And there was a jungle-gym-thing that went from the ground floor to the top. Kids were playing on it. Lots of parents had left them there unsupervised while they went shopping. Then the sky turned yellow, like it does before a tornado hits (according to a novel.) The ground started to shake. The star had entered the solar system. My friend and I were on the fourth floor. Three kids were playing on this section of the jungle gym when the star hit: two boys and one girl. The youngest boy was the one closest to the floor, and he climbed down to safety before the worst of the shaking started. Then the worst of the shaking started, and the other boy and the girl fell off. My friend caught the boy, and I caught the girl. Luckily,, none of us were hurt. My friend and I ran outside, onto the beach, taking the three children with us.
There was a news reporter and her cameraman outside. The Asian-snail-guy, Earth's last hope, had finally arrived. The news reporter didn't really care about him; she and her cameraman were fixtated on Jupiter. It was spinning around the Earth, coming closer and closer. Then Jupiter slammed into to Mars. We could see Mars' north pole, because the collision turned Mars onto its side. But the planets were stuck in mid collision; some greater force had frozen them. Earth had finally bestowed the powers of guardianship on the Asian-snail-guy, and, as he held his hand up in the "STOP" gesture, he stopped Jupiter and Mars and saved the Earth.
Then I woke up.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 6:13 pm

My dreams make no sense. I've had two repeating dreams but haven't had them in a while now. One was where I was standing outside my preschool just looking at the playground and feeling really sad. My other repeating dream was trying to run away from a pink Cadillac that was chasing me but I couldn't move. Last night I had a dream that my friend told me that her and her husband are divorcing. All so random.

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2014, 6:19 pm

Mine are completely random. They're mainly insignificant nonsense. For example, one time I had a dream that I was watching Dragon Tales on my fridge, cause it had a little screen on the front. My parents had also turned into fairies. I don't believe they have any meaning.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 6:42 pm

I try, with much futility, to continue my dreams where they left off. This is usually when I wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Sometimes I've interrupted such a good dream that I hope it'd continue when I went back to bed. So far none ever has.

My dreams can be vivid and colourful. Sometimes it's about my siblings or my parents. Sometimes I dream about playing a musical instrument. Sometimes I'm just walking around in a fog. I'm glad I haven't had nightmares in a while. I really hate those.

Embarrassingly, some of my dreams have been sexual in nature and involve male and female Asians.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:51 pm

I don't think there's anything unusual about my dreams (compared to other people - my dreams are just as weird as anyone else's).

I think I've had a few dreams "resume" after waking up (usually due to an alarm and I will snooze or turn off the alarm because I didn't mean to set it and go back to sleep)

Some themes I've noticed
- Going back to school because of some assignment or test that I missed (I've since graduated college and obtained several degrees)
- Similar to the above, being enrolled in college, nearing the end of the term, and realizing that there's some class that I've somehow forgotten to attend during the term. Apparently I'm not the only one who has these dreams - there's even an xkcd strip about it
- Finding something I've lost (especially after recently losing it), only to be bummed when I wake up to realize that it's still lost
- After a late night programming (or some similar task, such as late night shifts when I worked in retail) - I get stuck in an infinite loop trying to solve some programming problem, usually when partially awake. I can only break out of it by getting up and moving around, using the bathroom, etc.
- Going back to my home country (which I have yet to do after nearly two decades in the US). In the dream, I think "I'm finally here, and hopefully I'm not dreaming this time".
- As an amateur photographer, I sometimes have dreams in which I believe my camera is a "gateway" between the dream and reality. I will be somewhat aware that I'm in a dream (though not a lucid dream) and will take pictures with the impression that I'll be able to view them later, in real life.
- Being in public without wearing adequate clothing (e.g. just pajamas or underwear). I know other people have this dream too.
- If I'm anticipating a big event, such as a trip, I might experience the event in my dreams, but it will usually be a little "different" and I will think nothing of it.
- As xkcd 719 indicates, I also have dreams about poor or dangerous driving (including from the back seat, as the comic states, and losing control) and losing teeth (it's usually a relief when I wake up)

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 10:44 pm

I have recurring dreams about-

-Living in a a zoo chimpanzee enclosure.
-Trying to find my way around inside buildings that have shifting gravity.
-Exploring ruins on alien worlds.
-Being in an unfamiliar place, and having no idea what I am doing there.
-Kafkaesqu persecution narratives.

Last edited by Stannis on 18 Feb 2014, 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 3:03 am

My dreams are usually nice but sometimes to rarely they could be scary, even more so because the when I'm having a bad dream it's usually about a real situation but I rarely get bad dreams and some to most don't remember it.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 4:07 am

Mine are utter gibberish. Impossible structures, nonsensical objects, total breakdown of anything resembling the laws of physics, illogical sequences of nonsensical events, nothing making even the slightest bit of sense whatsoever....

Only on very rare occaisions do I get something that is at least somewhat close to almost being understandable, or at least pieces of it almost being understandable. And even those almost never have anything to do with anything that happens IRL.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 8:48 am

I once dreamed that I built a jungle gym for adults.

Instead of being maybe about five or six feet high and covering a few square feet as in the picture above, in the dream they were around one hundred to two hundred feet high and covered several acres.

If I remember correctly, the local fire department was kind of mad at me in the dream because they would have to rescue people who got up there and froze in position.