Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 3:37 pm

A 9 year old male has attended a number of child psychological assessments. As a result his Mother is told that the best place for him to go is a specific institutional home (I will come to that later).

The childs Mother visits the institution, and refuses to give her permission for her son to go there.

At age 30 the male is diagnosed as being a person with ADHD.
At age 39 he is diagnosed as being a person with both ADHD & Aspergers.

Prior to the diagnosis of ASD when the male is 39 there is no record of a previous diagnosis in his medical records.

And now to the institution that the child psychologists advised that his Mother should give her consent for him to go to: A care home/hospital specifically for children with Autism.

That child & that man are me, and it makes no sense.

No record of me being diagnosed with Autism as a child is in my medical notes & yet the child psychologists/psychiatrists I saw when I was a child had reccomended that I live in an institutional home specifically for Autistic children.

On my medical notes the only thing that is stated as me having when I was a child is depression.

That makes no sense AT ALL.

Can anyone offer any ideas of what the cause of this conundrum may be?

The only thing I can think of is that the medical notes when I was diagnosed as a child as being a person with Autism were lost. If that is the case then it is VERY frustrating as I've lost all those years through lack of support.

Maybe there may be another explanation.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 4:15 pm

-Just because you were suggested to go to an institution for kids with autism, doesn't mean you were necessarily diagnosed as autistic. Perhaps you only had traits that the diagnostician(s) didn't think qualified you fully for it, but they nevertheless saw potential in raising you as if you had it.
-perhaps your mother had more power over what diagnosis you got than you realized? Like, maybe she thought it would be really, really bad for you to have that diagnosis and her decision to not treat you as an autistic made the diagnositicians not actually diagnose you?
-Maybe your mother managed to destroy records because she was so against the idea of it
-maybe, as you said, the records were lost
-maybe the records were destroyed after 10 years or something. What is the standard for keeping records around? They usually get destroyed at some point. Perhaps because you only had only a short period of time when you had visits with this diagnositician your records were the first to get destroyed as you were an inactive file.

Poor motivation

had
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jan 2014, 4:43 pm

don't forget that 30/40 years ago, most psychiatrics was psychoanalyst (in UK too) : they really dislike give a diagnostic, because they see diagnostics as labels that don't help people to understand themselve (they think it's counterproductive).

And 30/40 years ago, autism was a psychotic condition (like schizophrenia), and asperger wasn't rediscovered : a special institutional home, in the '70, was, actually, a small psychiatric hospital for kids.

certainly not the best place to grow up.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 7:05 pm

Many doctors don't like to say "autism". It's as though, if they write it down, it'll become real.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 11:01 am

Many thanks to everyone for their replies on this topic :)

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.