Did you get lower grades than your NT peers?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 6:00 pm

I feel so underaverage for an Aspie because I did get quite low grades for my end-of-school exams, whilst other people I have spoken to since about grades they say they got at least one A or at least one B. I got mostly E's and F's.

I thought as an Aspie I would be getting higher grades. I have never got an A before, nor a B, maybe a C once. It might have been because I found it hard to get motivated to study. I would stare at the books and would not know where to begin. I just read through it and it just went in one ear and out the other, then I got distracted on to other things.

I didn't have any special interests, only out of control obsessions with men. Could getting low grades be because I had a hard time learning things I wasn't interested in? Mind you, I was interested in some science but I still couldn't grasp what I was taught. I think I'm more of an audio learner, though. I prefer to sit somewhere comfortably and hear someone talk about something interesting in a very simplistic way, without being too concise or too much detail, just in between where you can grasp everything you need to know and can ask questions. I couldn't get on with books or online sites. It was all so boring. I got a D in English, but was told I would have got lower if it weren't for my spelling. I have always been good with spelling.

Was anyone else the same as me when it came to school exams and studying?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 6:06 pm

I was quite fortunate to have gone to school in an era where nobody really cared about grades. however, if I had of put the effort in I would have got far higher grades than my peers I reckon.

I was just so bored with the whole education lark. I still don't believe in it now. You can earn quite good money without formal qualifications, you just have to apply yourself a little.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 6:19 pm

My grades have always been very spikey. I got As and Bs most of the time, but I usually got Fs and Cs for subjects I hated.

Sanji
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2014, 6:20 pm

I got better grades than most of my NT classmates and I graduated with a B average. Also, my high school was filled with students who just didn't care about classes.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 6:24 pm

I was a semi-special need student,so I got graded different.

Pastanoodle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jan 2014, 6:25 pm

My grades were so bad that I almost failed HS. Terrible focus, not interested in the classes, not very good at math. Conversely I had a 3.8 GPA in college. Having an interest in what you're studying makes all the difference.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 6:54 pm

Mostly Bs and Cs. I only did "homework" if I could finish it in class or study hall. Once I got home, school was over for the day.

However, I was usually well ahead of my grade level in independent study because I read incessantly and between that and the ability to listen to lectures while I drew and retain nearly 100% comprehension, I made up for slacking on homework by testing very highly.

Except in math. You can't retain much from a math demonstration while you're looking at what you're drawing. :oops:

In spite of decent grades in everything else, I nearly didn't graduate with my class because of my horrible math skills. It was a real squeaker - I had to ace my Business Math final to have enough math credits to graduate. Thank God for bonus questions.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 7:11 pm

Except for math and science in which I excelled in. Everything else I got mostly C's and D's in. Just like babybird said. I was quite fortunate to have gone to school in an era where nobody really cared about grades.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 7:12 pm

I almost didn't graduate highschool because most of my grades were pretty bad. I think it was a motivation problem, because I got really good grades in the classes I was interested in, such as zoology, drafting, photography and shop.

I feel as if I "fell through the cracks" because I had problems throughout school since I started, but no one really seemed to make an effort to figure out why I was having problems in school.

One of my elementary teachers (in the early '90s) suggested to my mom that I may have ADD, but my mom didn't agree. So I wasn't tested for ADD and didn't get any help. I wish my mom had listened. I might have done much better in school.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 7:52 pm

Well, didn't know that it was possible to score an E on things.
I am not very good at school. My counselor said that I could fail this grade if I don't get special teachers or a tutor.
I'm not very good at school, because it's just hard to do. I am good at science and band. That is all. Everything else is hard.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 7:55 pm

I am an auditory learner , too. I got good grades by listening, taking notes, then reviewing the notes the night before the test. hardly ever cracked a book, except in literature courses. Worth a try.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 8:15 pm

I usually got good grades. The other kids didn't like me, so it became my only source of self-esteem and I put in as much effort as it took - most of the time. Sometimes I would simply collapse from stress: skip classes, not hand in assignments, etc. and drag my grades down that way.
However, I relate to this:

Joe90 wrote:
I didn't have any special interests, only out of control obsessions with men.

Describes most of my "special interests" during my teen years and a few in my early 20's as well. Even the interests that didn't consist of straight-up obsession with a man were associated with one. For instance, I simultaneously had a special interest in Tolkien and an obsession with a Tolkien scholar; a special interest in yoga and meditation along with an obsession with a man who was into those things, etc. I'm not sure whether the obsession or the interest came first, either. It's more like they evolved together and fed each other.

LuigiDude

18 Jan 2014, 8:24 pm

I've always gotten really good grades in school. I've never failed any of my classes, from what I remember.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 8:26 pm

I got excellent grades, my mother expected perfection nd I was punished for grades that others got paid to get, so I did not have a choice

I just saw it as another unfairness of life and being pretend - it got me INTO college (U.C. Berkeley) but I could not function there and had to drop out.

ended up getting a programming certificate - but there again I was top of my class

LastSanityJermaine
Raven
Raven

18 Jan 2014, 8:50 pm

Yes but only cause of depression

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 2:21 am

No and they slaughtered me socially because of it.