gradma says i shoulnt say im like lennie from of miceandmen

Page 1 of 5 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,286

26 Jan 2014, 6:19 pm

Today my grandma and I were watching of mice and men and after I tried to tell her how im like Lennie and she's like George. But she said I not and I shouldn't say things that. Why not?


_________________
Your Aspie score: 192 of 200 Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 9 of 200 You are very likely an Aspie PDD assessment score= 172 (severe PDD)
Autism= Awesome, unique ,Special, talented, Intelligent, Smart and Mysterious


coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Oct 2013
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 769
Location: MN, US

26 Jan 2014, 6:21 pm

Have you seen the ending of the movie or book? If I remember correctly, Lennie accidentally does something very, very bad... that might be what she's worried people will associate you with.



Callista
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,395
Location: Ohio, USA

26 Jan 2014, 6:25 pm

I think she said that because the story has a horribly sad ending. She doesn't think you would accidentally kill someone, and she would never even consider hurting you. She wants a happy ending for you and for her and she is rejecting the idea that a tragedy of that sort is inevitable--it is avoidable for George and Lenny, and not even conceivable for her and you.

The story kind of reflects the way people used to think about disability--like disabled people are almost better off dead, because they can never fit into society. But that's not true. In fact, disabled people can find a place, can make their own place, in the world. Today, someone like Lenny would be taught how to interact with people more effectively, would get physical therapy to improve his coordination, would have gone to school with NT peers and gotten job training. Things would be different--could have been different, even back then.


_________________
Reports from a Resident Alien:
http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com


Last edited by Callista on 26 Jan 2014, 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,620

26 Jan 2014, 6:27 pm

Lenny was very simple=minded and unable to understand many things. You are bright and inquisitive and can hold you own when talking to adults. (Do I have to keep saying that?! :D)



jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,286

26 Jan 2014, 6:52 pm

wozeree wrote:
Lenny was very simple=minded and unable to understand many things. You are bright and inquisitive and can hold you own when talking to adults. (Do I have to keep saying that?! :D)


Well I wasn't thinking of the ending when I said I was thinking of how me and my grandmother interact like how George and Lenny interact I'm always forgetting things and my grandma tries to remind me. Also who will break things by accident or lose things all the time or get in trouble when I didn't mean to so she always tried to get me out of trouble actually a few times she called/ almost called the police on me for no reason but that's another story and I think she's learned from it . 
I was thinking how Lennies cute and innocent and I'm cute and innocent and how my grandmother sometimes has a short temper and how she acts like George. Although I try not to think about the end I don't like the end it all and I find it hard to believe and cringe worthy. 
However the optimistic little kid in me loves the part where lennies talks about the rabbits and George is telling him about the place. And when lennie is talking about puppies and petting the puppies and all that stuff.


Also I wasn't considering his mental state it doesn't matter to me whether or not he's retarded I really don't think about that kind of thing when I'm relating to characters.


_________________
Your Aspie score: 192 of 200 Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 9 of 200 You are very likely an Aspie PDD assessment score= 172 (severe PDD)
Autism= Awesome, unique ,Special, talented, Intelligent, Smart and Mysterious


skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,553
Location: my own little world

26 Jan 2014, 6:53 pm

Like Wozeree said, Jenny, you are not like Lenny. Your names may rhyme but that is about it. :D You are much more complex and extremely intelligent and articulate. But I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like Lenny too. But telling people you are like him might make them think that you are less capable than you are. I can see you growing up to be a powerful women who will lead the way in doing a lot for Autism awareness. I could see you becoming an advocate for other children who are growing up in situation similar to yours.

You are awesome my dear! :D


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,620

26 Jan 2014, 7:07 pm

jenisautistic wrote:
wozeree wrote:
Lenny was very simple=minded and unable to understand many things. You are bright and inquisitive and can hold you own when talking to adults. (Do I have to keep saying that?! :D)


Well I wasn't thinking of the ending when I said I was thinking of how me and my grandmother interact like how George and Lenny interact I'm always forgetting things and my grandma tries to remind me. Also who will break things by accident or lose things all the time or get in trouble when I didn't mean to so she always tried to get me out of trouble actually a few times she called/ almost called the police on me for no reason but that's another story and I think she's learned from it . 
I was thinking how Lennies cute and innocent and I'm cute and innocent and how my grandmother sometimes has a short temper and how she acts like George. Although I try not to think about the end I don't like the end it all and I find it hard to believe and cringe worthy. 
However the optimistic little kid in me loves the part where lennies talks about the rabbits and George is telling him about the place. And when lennie is talking about puppies and petting the puppies and all that stuff.


Also I wasn't considering his mental state it doesn't matter to me whether or not he's retarded I really don't think about that kind of thing when I'm relating to characters.


Well when you explain it that way... puppies and rabbits. Sure, I can see you like him. But the thing is, he's not really associated with those things on first thought by most people, so if you say, "I am like Lenny," to someone, they're not likely going to think, Oh Jen likes bunnies and puppies.

I think even your ability to come up with that similarity which is so different from how we "usually" see him, is a great example of how bright (and cool) you are.



wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,620

26 Jan 2014, 7:26 pm

PS, I was just thinking about this - in real life you don't really hear about mentally handicapped guys accidentally breaking women's necks. Maybe that's why you disassociated yourself from it, just not very realistic.



jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,286

26 Jan 2014, 7:33 pm

wozeree wrote:
PS, I was just thinking about this - in real life you don't really hear about mentally handicapped guys accidentally breaking women's necks. Maybe that's why you disassociated yourself from it, just not very realistic.


Wow I thought I was the only one who thought it was hard to believe that Lenny could snap Curleys wife's neck cause I don't believe it at all and I also can't believe the George would shoot Lennie if he really cared about him. You could've easily just ran across the river agin and ran away. The whole first and second act were wonderfully beautiful to me but then it all went downhill that ending was just one of the worst things I've ever seen and also the scene where they shoot Candys dog.

I personally think the ending should've been different especially since it could have helped people with mental disabilities be respected. I mean it's like whenever there's a shooting or whatever they always lead it to a mental illness I don't know how I feel about that .


_________________
Your Aspie score: 192 of 200 Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 9 of 200 You are very likely an Aspie PDD assessment score= 172 (severe PDD)
Autism= Awesome, unique ,Special, talented, Intelligent, Smart and Mysterious


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,827
Location: Pacific Northwest

26 Jan 2014, 7:44 pm

I'm going to echo what everyone else has said, it has to do with the ending. I don't think you are ever going to accidentally kill someone. Plus you are not intellectually challenged.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,286

26 Jan 2014, 7:48 pm

skibum wrote:
Like Wozeree said, Jenny, you are not like Lenny. Your names may rhyme but that is about it. :D You are much more complex and extremely intelligent and articulate. But I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like Lenny too. But telling people you are like him might make them think that you are less capable than you are. I can see you growing up to be a powerful women who will lead the way in doing a lot for Autism awareness. I could see you becoming an advocate for other children who are growing up in situation similar to yours.
You are awesome my dear! :D

Well let me put it this way I was talking my grandma about the ending and how I don't think George should have killed him and all that stuff and then my grandma basicly hinted that he does not feeling that's why I can't say that im like him but I think that they can have feelings and let me remind you this is the early 1930s maybe lennie maybe could've been more than we assume he is especially if he had therapy.
I get what you mean I'm not simpleminded and I am really physically weaker than money because of my low muscle tone but kind of strange because despite that I could still in the breaking things by accident literally all the time.
Basically this stumps me because I never take anyone's intelligence level into consideration because I don't think they should be how thought of as a lower standard than someone else I know that society normally does that but I don't want to do it. I guess I can just think it for myself and not say anything about it until things change.
And I never even thought of it that way I just thought it was cute how I could see myself on my grandma like Georges position and me Lenny's position. 
I mean I look at George telling Lenny not to say anything to the boss is like when my grandmother tells me not to stand near her when we go to the supermarket and not bother her when she's trying to pay at the cashier but I always end up forgetting and doing it anyway.
Even though I'm not intellectually disabled like him I'm still like that and I think my grandmas like George but I don't see that as a bad thing I just think of it is kind of adorable and ironic at the same time and kind of funny. 
I am around intellectually disabled people at the leave a lot I'm sure some of the kids in my camp bar and the people and my mothers adult home are.
And what does being intellectually disabled really mean anyway?
Kingdom of rats is moderate - severely intellectually disabled and she is a very articulate and beautiful writer even better than me and I'm sure there are many others. 
As with functioning with kids my age or NT or or not as disabled as me. I'm like a different species than even among the kids with Cerebel palsy in my old camp.
But that doesn't matter to me because I like what I like they like what they like I might need more extra help and they might not it doesn't matter to me.
And again that ending to me is not accurate at all. 


_________________
Your Aspie score: 192 of 200 Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 9 of 200 You are very likely an Aspie PDD assessment score= 172 (severe PDD)
Autism= Awesome, unique ,Special, talented, Intelligent, Smart and Mysterious


vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jul 2013
Age: 64
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,118
Location: pueblo colorado

26 Jan 2014, 7:50 pm

You are not like Lennie from 'Of Mice and Men." You are like Jenny from WP, which is a good thing because that is who you are.

True, you are so cute and so sweet, as is Lennie. What happened to Lennie [and what he did] would never happen with you. And sweetie, I am no mind reader,but I see tons of kittens and puppies and bunnies in your future [and many other wonderful things]



Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 14 Nov 2013
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 224
Location: Yorkshire, England

26 Jan 2014, 8:02 pm

I'm going to say it was because of the ending, which of course has George euthanize Lennie. Maybe your grandmother doesn't feel that your problems relate to those of Lennie's. Looking at things objectively, Lennie was a character living with mild intellectual disabilities in the Great Depression, and was greatly misunderstood and often neglected by the other characters of the novella. His situation was so dire that it ultimately ended with his best friend killing him, as I mentioned previously.



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,741
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

26 Jan 2014, 8:08 pm

Lenny is shot at the end of the movie. That's not a happy ending. Your Grandma wants a happy ending and I hope and pray that all people with disabilities will be able to enjoy a happy ending someday soon. It's wrong to kill someone, just because they're handicapped.


_________________
Schultz

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


Agdgdgwngo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 41

26 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm

Explain that it's because you see parallels in your relationship. If she knows you are autistic then she might think you identifying with Lenny, who clearly has a mental disability, is a sign of low self-esteem. With some clarification I am sure she will begin to view it with good humor.