Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 5:35 pm

Fogpatrol wrote:
I scored 124 on that online IQ test, I feel dumb.

So did I. We are in the area typical for Phd.´s and MD´s.
Not too bad :wink:

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 6:01 pm

I wish i was like you with a high IQ. Using the DSM 5, I am actually closer to having an intellectual disability than being Mensa material. My IQ is between 79-85. That is Borderline Intellectual Functioning. I might sound "smart" when talking about psychology but any other subject I'm an idiot.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 6:06 pm

Mensa always seemed pointless to me, I don't want to hang out with a bunch of people who scored some number of points on some test. It's beater to focus on your interests, such related to your studies, and hang around a bunch of smart people with similar interests and understand what you are talking about, while pursuing something purposeful like the things that I listed before .

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 7:18 pm

I used to belong to mensa. one bad apple there spoiled the meetings for me. now I belong to the online and FREE colloquy.

Asperbear
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2014, 7:20 pm

Writing quite literally stopped me from going insane from this. Write essays! is my tipp.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 8:38 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I know IQ is not exact but I have an IQ of 160 as recorded by an educational psychologist.

But I live in supported housing with people who don't understand me. To be honest few people understand me clearly when I open my mouth as I come out with theories and calculations that I have done in my head on the bus home or similar.

I need an outlet for my theories and calculations without having to call my dad (he has a PhD in engineering) repeatedly to tell him. If I don't have any outlet, I feel like my brain will explode.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? What is your outlet?

A typical conversation at home:
P: look, the peas are dancing about in the saucepan
Me: those are the convection currents, which follow a certain pattern, it is due to entropy -
P: I have no idea what that means.

How old are you? use that IQ. Figure out what to do next in your life.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 9:15 pm

Your description of yourself sounds like me talking to my friends at work. Except I don't know what my IQ is, it's just that I'm really curious about science and stuff and they aren't.

One thing you could do - if you like to explain science to people, you could start a small website that explains it to lay people in fun ways that makes them want to read and helps them understand. (I want to do that myself.) There are a lot of scientific theories and things that have been taught stiffly and formally and made unnecessarily hard to understand. But if you use your passion, you can infect kids with your passion too. You know about Kahn Academy, right? He started out just putting videos on the internet to help his nieces with their homework - now look how he helps people. I bet you'd have fun too.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 9:46 pm

to the OP: it is a LOT harder by orders of magnitude, to be LOW-IQ in an alien world.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 11:35 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I need an outlet for my theories and calculations without having to call my dad (he has a PhD in engineering) repeatedly to tell him. If I don't have any outlet, I feel like my brain will explode.

My dad was very smart, he had a high IQ and people thought he was a genius. I used to love having conversations with him on the phone.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 11:36 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I know IQ is not exact but I have an IQ of 160 as recorded by an educational psychologist.

But I live in supported housing with people who don't understand me. To be honest few people understand me clearly when I open my mouth as I come out with theories and calculations that I have done in my head on the bus home or similar.

A typical conversation at home:
Me: those are the convection currents, which follow a certain pattern, it is due to entropy -
P: I have no idea what that means.

Well it looks like you beat me on the IQ by about 6 points. My clocked in about 154. Ironically. My intelligence was way beyond any of the people I was around with and a lot of times. I would use word and explanations that would for the most part be "over their head". It was not uncommon for people to say to me "Speak English!". It sounds like to me that you are using your dad as a proxy to dumb things down for you so that others can understand what you are saying. If that is the case then you might want to listen to what he is saying to the other person. You might learn something.

What you really need to do is learn to use parables and analogies to describe your ideas better to people who don't understand those big words you use. Lets go back to your peas and saucepan thing again only this time, I will use an analog to describe it.

Me: That's because the heat from the burner heats the water from the bottom of the pan and the hotter water rises to the top and once it reaches the top. It cools down and sinks to the bottom again. This crates turbulence in the water and that turbulence moves the peas around the same way that current flowing in a river moves things floating in it downstream.
P: Wow! that's interesting.

Now I know that's not the big words you like to use but you will find that you will get a lot farther in a conversation when you just learn to dumb thing down a bit.

Hope this helps.

hope that helps.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 12:02 am

MENSA was mentioned.

Here is a "tester quiz" if anyone thinks they have what it takes :D ... http://www.mensa.org/workout

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 12:03 am

^^^
makes my frontal lobes shrink in fear of it. :oops:

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 5:13 am

You have to find ‘the right people’ to hang out with, people with the same kinds of interest, with a similar education level, or appropriate intellect.

I’ve had issues finding people that ‘match’ what I need in a conversational partner all of my life, and have an IQ a bit higher than yours, so I certainly know how rare it is to find people who can mentally engage you.

Aside from intelligence, you’ll also need to engage with people who have interests in line with your own. The guy who knows everything about entropy, but doesn’t really care to talk about it, isn’t going to help you much. Some people approach information with passion, others simply acquire it as a tool, a means to an end.

So, the trick is, find a way to immerse yourself in the kind of places and organizations where you will find a higher than average education level, a higher than average intellect, and a predisposition to enjoy the sorts of things you happen to enjoy.

Put that IQ to work, find the right place for yourself, figure out how to ingrain yourself into it, and then find the people you are looking for.

I’ve personally only ever found 3 people who do it for me. But… having 3 friends is infinitely better than none.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 7:54 am

SteelMaiden wrote:
Thanks, I'll have a look at that link. I've been thinking about Mensa, does anyone else have experience with Mensa?

Mensa bored me, we are both way above the median Mensa member

Vertex Society
http://www.vertexsociety.org/

Prometheus Society
http://prometheussociety.org/cms/

Epimethius Society
http://www.epimetheussociety.com/

whalewatcher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2014, 8:36 am

Having a high IQ and an ASD is like having a Lamborghini without any wheels. You can keep revving the engine, but you just don't go anywhere. Frustrating.

I was in Mensa in London about 20 years ago. I connected with a few people, but overall it was more like a professional drinking club, and I didn't relate to most of the people there.

HomeschoolTrekkie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jan 2014, 9:31 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
MENSA was mentioned.

Here is a "tester quiz" if anyone thinks they have what it takes :D ... http://www.mensa.org/workout

I got 70% on that test. Is that good, bad, or mediocre?