Do people try to make you have a sensory overload?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hihowareyou
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Feb 2014, 2:09 pm

All my friends and family know I have Aspergers.

My sister's friend has come over time to time and I always thought her hugging was to be friendly now I think she thinks it's a game. She is very insecure with herself and everyone knows it. Every time she hugged me it made me squirm. She does the same thing with this other aspie guy and now I can see that she does it because it causes him to feel uncomfortable. My aunt use to do the same thing and laugh.

My dad also seems to always act silly and any time I act excited he tells me to settle down. My sister doesn't understand personal space and when she talks she has to get real close. I wonder if my dad and sister have Aspergers. My mom and brother both have ADHD and are completely different than my dad and sister. They understand how I feel.

Do other people try to make you stim or have a sensory overload on purpose?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 2:29 pm

And NTs are meant to have empathy? If they tried to put themselves in our shoes then they'll really know how annoying they're being.

My brother tries to make me angry on purpose, then gets upset when I react, as if he doesn't know what to expect (and he is NT). I hate it when people leave the sitting-room door open and all I can hear is chattering from my bedroom, and it just makes me angry because I can't ignore it. I don't mind chattering noise when I'm in the room with them, but when I'm in a different room and all I can hear is their voices but not the actual words, it just drives me insane, and people (especially my brother) don't know how annoying it feels. Usually my family get cold and so prefer the doors to be shut (my house is quite a cold house), so it's not like it's really making a huge difference to them if the door is shut, but when some absent-minded human leaves the door wide open and nobody gets up to shut it (but complain that they're cold), I end up having to come out to shut it, and my brother will then open the door again, just to prove a unnecessary point.

BUT when he's on the phone to a friend, he likes to shut us all out (may not be the same as a sensory issue but still a similar thing; wanting the door shut for his liking), and I got up and deliberately opened it just to annoy, he WILL yell at me and call me childish. But I don't get up and open it just to annoy, because it IS childish and pointless. I try not to annoy people if I can, because I try to put myself in their shoes and think ''hang on, I wouldn't want to be annoyed like that'' and I stay out of it.

hihowareyou

14 Feb 2014, 2:35 pm

Joe90 wrote:
And NTs are meant to have empathy? If they tried to put themselves in our shoes then they'll really know how annoying they're being.

Supposedly. :wink:

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 3:11 pm

Some, but I know a narcassist with antisocial traits, who have corrupted people around me into believing I'm abusive... so... yeah. It's a rather purposeful thing and not to be funny.

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 3:27 pm

My entire childhood, my sister goaded me into meltdowns, which generally ended in me beating the crap out of her and then running to my room and crying.
This went on even after we got older and I would literally beg her to stop.
She didn't know I was autistic, but she knew exactly what she was doing each and every time she pushed my buttons until I flew into an uncontrollable rage.

She hasn't talked to me in over 14 years, ever since my college roommate deliberately goaded me into a meltdown and ended up with a shap pointy object less than an inch away from his throat.
The kicker is, to this day, despite being informed of my diagnosis and subsequently getting a master's in psychology, she still blames me and doesn't believe she was at fault in the slightest.
I understand, why, of course: doing so would be admitting that she tortured me our entire childhood and that I had no control over my actions while she, in fact, did.

Yeah, people will try to push your buttons if they know about them.
Don't let them.
Stand up for yourself.
They have no right to torture you.
B*stards.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 5:04 pm

This was years ago when I was a teen and before I was diagnosed with Asperger's, but my older brother was like every other brother when he did everything he could to make me want to kill him. It was just too easy for him - My constant need of privacy, my unusual interests in collecting dolls and figures and keeping them strictly organized, his natural severe hatred of nearly everything I liked, his constant barging into my bedroom just to put on his socks or play his guitar while telling me over and over how whatever show on TV I was watching at the moment was stupid, or that everyone on it was on drugs. Of course if I openly said I didn't like something he did he'd be horrified. It just goes to show that haters have been around even before the internet. Of course he would only act like this when our parents were out of the house, or while we were getting ready for school while they were still asleep. My mother still seems to think he was a complete angel, and any of the things I tell her about how he terrorized me and sent me into numerous meltdowns where I'd be screaming, bawling, throwing objects or even threatening suicide, are an exaggeration. I remember even coming close to causing him serious injury maybe twice because he simply did not know when to stop being a terror. I think somewhere in his mid 20's his brain finally fully developed and he became the great friend of a brother I know and love today. Or maybe he was replaced by an alien. :P

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 5:21 pm

My sister has admitted that on occasion she will deliberately try to irritate or provoke me, like when she volunteers to unload the dishwasher, which forces me to load it, and she knows how sensitive I am to the smell of old food and the feel of slimy plates. Sometimes when she plays her music in the car and I ask her to turn it down or switch songs because it's too loud or the bass is like auditory strobe lights, she'll deliberately turn the volume up higher just to watch my reaction. She's pushed me close to a sensory meltdown because of this a few times. Sometimes she'll touch me, invade my personal space, or poke me just to annoy me. She's sixteen now. I look forward to the day when her brain fully matures so she can see how unfair she's being.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 5:22 pm

When I was bullied in school as a kid, I have do doubt that some of the kids did it to overload me and cause me to react. Especially when those annoying f*****s shot rubber bands and paper wasps at me in middle school and the early years of high school. I f*****g hated that! To me, getting hit in the back by one of those unexpectedly was almost as bad as being punched in the face.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 5:22 pm

whilst living in a intelectual disability institution many years ago, was chased around by the staff with these big old noisy industrial type hoovers whilst they were switched on and they were laughing amongst themselves whilst was running away from them for dear life head banging off the walls and hitting self from the noise.

was also made to take the glasses out of the packed dish washer because of the clinking noises they did as this woud also set off sensory overload and a meltdown.
they woud watch and get a thrill out of it to.

these were oldskool staff who were totaly ignorant on sensory issues of autism because they had only worked with profoundly autistic adults before whose sensory issues were always put down to just being challenging behavior.
was told by them was making up the sensitive hearing because they used the profoundly autistic residents as a 'yardstick' and assumed they defined what autism is just because they were profound,they also said they cant hear it so no one else shoud be able to. :roll:

was phsicaly forced to have a hearing test by them,which did have just to prove to them- the test showed that hearing went way beyond what their own testing software coud manage and it was equal in both ears.
they saw the results on paper, and were still not satisfied,thankfuly after that sht hole got shutdown the national autistic society did a inquiry into the abuse had suffered there,sensory abuse was the mildest of it all.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

ak_born
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Feb 2014, 5:28 pm

My kids like to "tickle" my arms because they know it will produce such a strong reaction and is hard for them to understand how terrible it feels--will break out in goose bumps on my arms and down my sides. This usually causes me to lose tolerance for noise and all touch for a bit which means I end up wearing my rifle muffs and sit in my room for a bit where I don't have to worry about being touched until my system calms back down.

Hard to explain to preschoolers!

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Feb 2014, 7:30 pm

One time I was talking to a guy on Omegle and he showed me his underwear and I think he was trying to give me a sensory overload because he kept rubbing his legs when he saw me look at the screen and he thought it was making me crazy and excited and so I disconnected.
In my experience only guys on Omegle have tried to give me sensory overloads for some reason.
#nohomo

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 8:23 pm

I'm not sure whether I experience sensory overload or not to be honest, but when I was younger especially I loathed going to crowded events or wide open spaces with lots of walking, especially on hot days. The events I refer to could be athletic open days (for my sister), to parks with my grandparents, or to the beach. My dad always forced me to go and every time I was out I'd just feel like crap. I'd be exhausted, feel constant irritation, and at times feel sick. I can't really describe the exact details as ever since I reached my late teenage years he stopped forcing me to go most places. It was exacerbated if I was forced to wear 'appropriate clothes' such as jeans, cords, thongs etc as they all provided great discomfort. I literally would be complaining the whole time, just wanting to be home. It was made worse again by my parents promising me that we'd only be out for a few hours, when really they meant 7-8 hours.

It was seriously the most incredibly frustrating experience every time I had to go out. All I'd hear if I resisted would be:

+ 'You just want to stay home on the computer all the time!'
+ 'Nope, I don't care what you say, yer goin!'
+ 'Stop being such an ungrateful prick!'
+ 'You will regret it if you don't go!'

I could go on and on. No matter what, the outcome would either be that I went, or that I got belted (by an actual belt) and had my computer taken away for weeks.

StuffedMarshmallow wrote:
One time I was talking to a guy on Omegle and he showed me his underwear and I think he was trying to give me a sensory overload because he kept rubbing his legs when he saw me look at the screen and he thought it was making me crazy and excited and so I disconnected.
In my experience only guys on Omegle have tried to give me sensory overloads for some reason.

#nohomo

Should be your signature by now. >.>

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 9:10 pm

hihowareyou wrote:
Do other people try to make you stim or have a sensory overload on purpose?

im guessing that what they are trying to do is 'help you to get over not liking hugging'.
like they dont take it serious and 'know you will come around eventually'
that kind of stuff. it get that sort of thing from time to time.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 12:02 am

Norny wrote:
I'm not sure whether I experience sensory overload or not to be honest, but when I was younger especially I loathed going to crowded events or wide open spaces with lots of walking, especially on hot days. The events I refer to could be athletic open days (for my sister), to parks with my grandparents, or to the beach. My dad always forced me to go and every time I was out I'd just feel like crap. I'd be exhausted, feel constant irritation, and at times feel sick. I can't really describe the exact details as ever since I reached my late teenage years he stopped forcing me to go most places. It was exacerbated if I was forced to wear 'appropriate clothes' such as jeans, cords, thongs etc as they all provided great discomfort. I literally would be complaining the whole time, just wanting to be home. It was made worse again by my parents promising me that we'd only be out for a few hours, when really they meant 7-8 hours.

It was seriously the most incredibly frustrating experience every time I had to go out. All I'd hear if I resisted would be:

+ 'You just want to stay home on the computer all the time!'
+ 'Nope, I don't care what you say, yer goin!'
+ 'Stop being such an ungrateful prick!'
+ 'You will regret it if you don't go!'

I could go on and on. No matter what, the outcome would either be that I went, or that I got belted (by an actual belt) and had my computer taken away for weeks.

#nohomo

That sounds awful. I would actually consider it abusive. Do your parents finally understand, or are they still stubborn?

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Feb 2014, 12:03 am

Norny wrote:
#nohomo

Dude, I barely use #nohomo. This is like, the only time I have used it. I MAY have used it twice maximum I think lol.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 12:39 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
That sounds awful. I would actually consider it abusive. Do your parents finally understand, or are they still stubborn?

I've only told my mum that I think it's possible that I could have AS, or something similar to AS. She was somewhat understanding, but rejects the idea because she is adamant that school staff would have tested for it accurately. My dad still thinks that I was just a defiant bastard addicted to video games and nothing more, despite my plethora of unrelated complaints that have happened in the past. I don't know how hard it is to see that even if I weren't playing video games (which I wasn't all the time anyway), I'd still rather be at home than out feeling irritable/tired/sick/pain etc, not to mention anxiety.

Norny wrote:
#nohomo

Dude, I barely use #nohomo. This is like, the only time I have used it. I MAY have used it twice maximum I think lol.

Maybe I am having wishful thinking, but I swear I have seen it more than once. XD