Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 5:10 pm

I keep getting the urge to bite things, its like an ache in my jaw, if I do bite something I end up hurting my jaw but it makes the urge go away. I also tend to bite myself when frustrated.

I also sniff my family members to show affection sometimes.

It seems to all be quite primeval in nature.

doe anyone get these urges?

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 5:53 pm

I have always been a "chewer"--many pencils, wooden tables, pen caps, bottle caps, and felt car seats have bore the marks of several little teeth. :lol: I've lessened this behavior during adolescence due to increasing concerns about the toxins in paints and plastics, though I do occasionally find myself chewing on something that I perhaps shouldn't. I also bite myself out of frustration at times, though I bought and use a Jellystone Teething Necklace to help redirect this behavior (I'd say it has about a 65% success rate thus far; part of the problem, though, is that the pain on the arms is just as cathartic as is the sensation of biting).

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 6:06 pm

WerewolfPoet wrote:
I have always been a "chewer"--many pencils, wooden tables, pen caps, bottle caps, and felt car seats have bore the marks of several little teeth. :lol: I've lessened this behavior during adolescence due to increasing concerns about the toxins in paints and plastics, though I do occasionally find myself chewing on something that I perhaps shouldn't. I also bite myself out of frustration at times, though I bought and use a Jellystone Teething Necklace to help redirect this behavior (I'd say it has about a 65% success rate thus far; part of the problem, though, is that the pain on the arms is just as cathartic as is the sensation of biting).

a teething necklace sounds like a good idea. I do love to chew things as well, its very calming. found it quite funny that your name has werewolf in it :D

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 6:09 pm

i do, i used to bite people at school, my dad, myself, my dog, my ferrets, and objects, i completely destroyed a dvd case and straws always get chewed up when i have them,

for me i get tingling in my bottom teeth and energy in my spine.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 6:18 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
i do, i used to bite people at school, my dad, myself, my dog, my ferrets, and objects, i completely destroyed a dvd case and straws always get chewed up when i have them,

ferrets, dangerous business didn't you get bitten back?

straws are fun to chew.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 6:23 pm

franknfurter wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:

ferrets, dangerous business didn't you get bitten back?

straws are fun to chew.

funny story, every time i bit them they would hiss at me or cry, but if i squeaked a squeaky toy in front of them they would bite me

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2014, 6:30 pm

Sometimes I bite my hand when I get really frustrated. I typically stop after the first bite because I know its bad and I want to break that habit as much as possible. Nobody else knows I do this; I never do it with anyone watching.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 6:49 pm

Have bitten my hand as hard I could during meltdowns, or great confusion. Have bit someone helping me while attempting to communicate something, when I have no words.

Last edited by Lumi on 03 Feb 2014, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 7:06 pm

I used to bite myself and objects and my brother as a child, but now I just have a tic left, that I am biting on my own teeth or the inside tissue of my mouth, I do it permanently as people have pointed out, I was not aware of it.
I also feel urge to poke my eyes, but I suppress it as I do not want to hurt my eyes and sight, so I rub my eyebrows instead.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 7:39 pm

have not got awareness of having the urge to bite,but am always biting self static or non static objects and other people.
will bite objects and self because of sensory seeking,lacking communication, severe anxiety,frustration etc.
will bite others when restrained,when frustrated,severe anxiety,lacking communication,being touched/hugged without wanting it etc.
have also got pica.

this is a photo of self at the trafford centre after having come out of the costa coffee shop;part of routine there is to get a handful of those wooden stirrers and chew and eat them-
http://i.cubeupload.com/voSYmL.jpg
woud recommend a visit there any time soon for sensory seeking coffee lovers. ;) plus the free wifi is pretty good.

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Feb 2014, 8:05 pm

I don't get the urge to chew things, but I know of a lot of people on the spectrum that do. It's a fairly common stim, so don't worry about it.

This shop has lots of things made specifically for chewing on, some that look like completely ordinary accessories, if you wanna check it out.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 8:39 pm

Fair enough; humans do explore things with their mouths when we're very young, and even as adults many people like interesting food and drink.

If you chew on something, make sure it's safe to chew on. There's chewy tubes for adults, if you tend to destroy the kind that are made for teething babies. Also make sure it's not too hard, else you might chip your teeth. Some substances that aren't made to chew on may damage your teeth or make you ill, but if it's made for babies or made to be used around food, it's probably safe.

It's seen as odd, but honestly, I've had enough of people telling us not to do things because they're "not appropriate". Chew on things all you like; it's not hurting anybody.

Sniffing someone you don't know very well might be a bit dangerous because they would not know that you meant it as a greeting because you wanted to know what they smelled like, kind of the way a dog will smell you as a greeting. They might be upset or frightened, thinking that you meant to harm them. So if you do this, only do it when the person you are sniffing knows what you mean and doesn't mind. If you do it before you have the chance to think better of it, you might have to ask an aide or family member to explain to people why you are sniffing them if it causes confusion.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:35 pm

biting and chewing is one of my stress stims. the smell of ppl close to me helps me feel more reassured. they are used to being sniffed :P

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 12:40 am

EzraS wrote:
biting and chewing is one of my stress stims. the smell of ppl close to me helps me feel more reassured. they are used to being sniffed :P

You mean you sniff people when they are close to you? Isn't that, uh, taken to be a bit, uh, uh, uh, strange?

Makar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2014, 5:40 am

Yes :D I get the same jaw ache feeling. When I was a kid everything I owned had bite marks on it. I was a wood chipper for pencils. My mom had to cover the window sills with plastic because I would chew on them when I was a toddler. I frequently would completely chew off my finger nails and my clothing had holes from being chewed on.

I also bite myself when really stressed. I use to bite myself on the school bus on the way to school to try to control the dread I felt.

I don't feel an urge to smell people though, generally I like having a lot of personal space and try to avoid being that close to others.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 10:01 am

Yes, I constantly feel the urge to do something with my mouth, and the more stimulating, the better. I tend to bite my fingers while I study, probably because of under-stimulation. I want to stop and replace it with something else that does not involve damaging my body in any way, but I can't find anything equivalent. I can eat sometimes instead of doing this, especially the very spicy foods which give me the same effect, but it's not good for me nor my wallet to have to eat constantly like that. I also want to find a stim that I can do while writing exams as well as while studying so that it becomes a memory trigger.

The problem with these necklaces and other things on that site is that they are of a colour and texture that I would never put in my mouth. I never put things that look or feel synthetic in my mouth. So I want to find something that is completely natural, feels safe, and is safe. :?

As for sniffing people, I usually don't like how people smell with their perfumes and colognes and whatnot so I don't try to sniff them.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Last edited by MathGirl on 04 Feb 2014, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.