Amount of warning when needing to go to the bathroom.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you have much warning that you need to go to the bathroom.
Yes (& I have AS) 40%  40%  [ 12 ]
No (& I have AS) 57%  57%  [ 17 ]
Yes (& I do not have AS) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 30

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 4:06 pm

I have come to realize that I do not have as much warning that I need to go to the bathroom as other people. This is not often a problem, although there have been a few (very few) embarrassing situations when I do not wake up fast enough, but sometimes it seems like I am similar to a young child who, when they tell you they need to go, it means that they need to go NOW. I did not have trouble being potty trained, I just do not have much warning.

I know that AS has a neurological basis, and from what I know about how the body tells the body it is time to go, it is a sympathetic nervous system pathway. I did not know if my nerves were slow in this because of AS, or if it something found in all areas of the population.

Edit: There should be a forth option on the poll for: No (& I do not have AS)

Last edited by nebrets on 03 Feb 2014, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 4:09 pm

This continued for me in junior high.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 4:19 pm

My problem is that I ignore the signal for too long and I usually wait until its an emergency.

Makar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2014, 4:29 pm

I think I have this problem. When I was in elementary school I use to wet my pants 1-3 times a week. I had very little warning I needed to use the bathroom and I had horrible social anxiety so I would be too afraid to ask to go :/ usually by the time I would work up the courage it would be too late... some how I managed to hide it fairly well most of the time, though it was the end of whatever meager social life I had.

Anyway, my mostly NT sister (she might qualify as BAP) might interest you because she couldn't tell when she needed to go and she couldn't even tell when she wet her pants up until she was about 12 years old. I think sometimes she could tell but not if she was busy or distracted. No physical cause was found for it either. It has occurred to me that it might be a type of hyposensitivity to internal sensations.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 4:36 pm

I've never had trouble with knowing when I need to use the toilet. I was potty-trained before I was 3, and my mum said I very good and never looked back.

Of course I did have an accident when I was 16. I was with my friend walking along a very slippery slope near a pond, and I knew that if I slipped too hard on the mud (which was mixed with slushy ice and snow that was rapidly thawing), I would have fallen into the pond. My friend knew that too, and was trying to avoid that from happening. We were both laughing, but panicking at the same time. I was trying to my hardest not to slip, whilst trying my hardest not to pee at the same time, and was also laughing, so you think how hard that must have been! Then suddenly the pee started dribbling out from laughing too much, and I couldn't stop myself - a whole bladder full came gushing out. Oops a daisy! But that's something that's probably happened to everybody when laughing, especially teenage girls when they're with their friends.

Then I had a ''number two'' accident a couple of months ago. Now that really upset me. I just got out of bed one morning, felt fine, then wondered if I needed the toilet - and I suddenly felt diarrhoea coming out. I shocked myself, and quickly pushed back up before the whole lot came out. I had to change. That was the first time that ever happened since I was 3. But my mum told me that everybody has had that happened to them at least once or twice in their lives.

Apart from those two incidents, I have no trouble at all with going to the toilet. It's all just natural to me.

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 5:28 pm

It seems to fluctuate with me; within recent years, I seem to have the "warning" early enough for it not to be of concern (sometimes, I am capable of "holding it in" for hours), but there are some instances where it does become a very sudden, very strong urge, especially about fifteen-to-thirty minutes after I consume any large amount of liquids; this was more severe as a child, though I did have my fair share of urinary tract infections.

According to older relatives, I regressed a bit with potty-training when I was three, but this may have in part been due to a chaotic family situation at the time.

On a semi-related note, I do not notice that I am too warm until I become dizzy from dehydration and have been known to not eat for an entire day simply because the hunger isn't enough to distract me from whatever else I happen to be doing.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 6:12 pm

i dont get much of a warning and sometimes end up partially wetting myself. i only seem to need to go when its urgent.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 10:04 pm

am not sure if were hoping to get a view of aspergers specificaly as some of us here are elsewhere on the spectrum but we suffer from sensory issues around toileting as well, its especialy common in moderate,severe and profound autism.
am unable to feel the toileting needs and dont get any warning,luckily am prescribed slip nappies on the NHS.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 10:17 pm

Soccer22 wrote:
My problem is that I ignore the signal for too long and I usually wait until its an emergency.

Me too and sometimes its too late.

KingdomOfRats wrote:
am not sure if were hoping to get a view of aspergers specificaly as some of us here are elsewhere on the spectrum but we suffer from sensory issues around toileting as well, its especialy common in moderate,severe and profound autism.
am unable to feel the toileting needs and dont get any warning,luckily am prescribed slip nappies on the NHS.

yeah i was wondering if AS was Aspergers Syndrome or Autistic Spectrum, so didnt know how to vote. i was wearing pullups until just a couple of years go and i still have accidents if im too absorbed in something. and I still wear them to bed.

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

03 Feb 2014, 11:26 pm

I'm ashamed to admit that I have to keep a spare pair of pants in my desk at work because sometimes I realize just a little too late that I need to pee. I've only ever had to use said spare pants once, but it was embarrassing. When I have to go, it's usually a very strong urge and I have to start heading to the bathroom right then or I have a problem.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:33 pm

There's a song about my condition:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOV3Ub1vUg4[/youtube]

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:33 pm

I've never had problems with this, fortunately. However, I am a neat-freak, and the slightest bit of discomfort will send me to the bathroom. I'm extremely sensitive to touch and to any internal feelings I'm having within my body. And that's the way AS expresses itself in me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:36 pm

I've got to have a sense of humour about my shituation. :lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 1:28 am

nebrets wrote:
I have come to realize that I do not have as much warning that I need to go to the bathroom as other people. This is not often a problem, although there have been a few (very few) embarrassing situations when I do not wake up fast enough, but sometimes it seems like I am similar to a young child who, when they tell you they need to go, it means that they need to go NOW. I did not have trouble being potty trained, I just do not have much warning.

I know that AS has a neurological basis, and from what I know about how the body tells the body it is time to go, it is a sympathetic nervous system pathway. I did not know if my nerves were slow in this because of AS, or if it something found in all areas of the population.

Edit: There should be a forth option on the poll for: No (& I do not have AS)

"Overactive Bladder" is a fairly common and treatable medical condition in females
http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinen ... c-overview

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 5:32 am

Actually I start feeling it, when its short to an emergency. Because of that, I do go very regularly, and because of my drinking and food habbits being quite the same every day, it functions well. (As example less drinking in the evening, and going to the pot before sleeping, ...)

Right now it sucks a bit, because of me being pregnant and the baby seems to start pushing on my bladder. So my routines actually dont work that well anymore. During day its not the prob, so I simply go more often regularly on the toilette, but during sleep it sucks, and there almost had been some accidents.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 3:17 pm

I always assume mine is average. It's just a strong sensation I have to go pee. I would go from feeling fine to having to go all of a sudden. But I have a strong bladder so I never had accidents except for when I was real little and I last wet my pants when I was five. I have wet my pants into my preteens from laughing too hard but I always stopped it. I thought this was normal until I read online it's a medical thing. :? I don't have that issue anymore. Now that I have messed my bladder up, I get a sensation I have to go even if it's not full. I can go to the bathroom and then feel a few minutes later I had to go again. Pregnancy may be part of it too because I have been going a lot more.

I also would just hold it in my childhood and teens because I was always too lazy to use the bathroom and still no accidents and never got any UTIs. I would go eventually.

But for a while after I had my baby, I didn't get any notice to go so I still made sure I went to empty out my bladder. At least I didn't feel I had to go all the time in less than an hour so that was a good thing. If I noticed five hours had passed since I last gone, I would go anyway even if I didn't feel I had to go. The delivery and the epidural seemed to have messed my body up and that was feeling the urge to go so I made sure I went to my bladder wouldn't burst. I never had accidents either except leak urine sometimes and would have a damp crotch.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.