Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 8:08 pm

Since I started reading about aspergers and coming to the realization that I'm probably on the spectrum, I've realized that my dad may also be on the spectrum.

My dad and I are VERY alike. We can be in the same house together for a whole weekend and not say a word to each other. Not because we dislike each other, but simply because we don't have anything to say to each other. One time, my dads friend told me that my dad had very few friends when he was younger. My parents divorced nearly 25 years ago and since then, my dad has lived alone and has never dated. He sometimes doesn't respond to someone talking to him when he's focused on something. In his side of the family, he and I are the odd ones out. Everyone else can be in the kitchen and dining room talking, we'll be in the living room where it's quiet and there's no one around. My dads side of the family is very religious. I'm an atheist. I'm not sure what my dads beliefs are, but he only goes to church when we go and visit his family. He has never mentioned anything about religion to me.

I've come to realize that I don't really know my dad because we don't talk. The only stories I've heard about what he was like when he was around my age was from his friend. He talked about how they rode motercycles. Apparently my dad did crazy stuff back then :lol: like riding full speed on windy backroads in the pouring rain... and stitching up his own cuts....
I want to finally really get to know my dad.

I'm gonna send him an email about how I came to realize that I may be on the autism spectrum, how it affects me and how it complicates communication. I'm not sure if I wanna just directly say that I think he also has a lot of aspie traits too. I'm just gonna say how it affects me and give him some links to read about it. Maybe he will recognize himself when reading about it.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 9:56 pm

Any chance you can have yourself evaluated so as to know for sure if you're on the spectrum or not?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 10:00 pm

Sethno wrote:
Any chance you can have yourself evaluated so as to know for sure if you're on the spectrum or not?

I intend to, but to me, starting the process seems kinda daunting. Not to mention unless I find someone who will do it for free, I can't afford it.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 1:14 am

Call Easter Seals in your area. They have "scholarships" for people with no money.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 4:30 am

I hope this e-mail brings you two closer together.