anyone here change thier diagnoses from Aspergers to SCD

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 10:08 pm

as most of us know the New DSM has changed the autism criteria so know if you dont have repetitive behaviours or sensory issues , you are not on the spectrum and you will be classified to have SCD (Social Communication Disorder)

but i noticed people dont really care and still use Aspergers, even though its off the DSM V. (i know why though, its because not all countries and psychologists follow the DSM and use other diagnostic systems) so heres my question:

if you dont have Aspergers Syndrome.

do you have Social Communication Disorder, or do you have Autism Spectrum Disorder.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 10:17 pm

I've wondered about the sensory issues myself, but my therapist has noted my getting exhausted by going out to run errands or dealing with situations where there are lots of people. Apparently he thinks the fatigue is being caused by my mind being assaulted by sensory input.

As for repetitive stuff, umm...

Does listening to the same song, or alternate performances of it, again and again sometimes for an hour or more...would that count?

(I did some checking and it seems the new catagory also depends on the absence of "restricted interests".)

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 10:28 pm

Sethno wrote:
I've wondered about the sensory issues myself, but my therapist has noted my getting exhausted by going out to run errands or dealing with situations where there are lots of people. Apparently he thinks the fatigue is being caused by my mind being assaulted by sensory input.

As for repetitive stuff, umm...

Does listening to the same song, or alternate performances of it, again and again sometimes for an hour or more...would that count?

(I did some checking and it seems the new catagory also depends on the absence of "restricted interests".)

i guess, it would, but many NTs do it as well,

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 10:42 pm

Sethno wrote:

Yeah, basically you have to have two RRBs to the extent that they impair your functioning in a major way: In plain language the RRBs are:

1) stimming , sensory or motor repetitive motions
2) need for sameness (always same food, taking the same route ect) rituals and/or routines
3) special interests
4) sensory issues

You have to have 2 of these and meet all the social communication criteria for a diagnosis of ASD. If you DON'T have two of these but you DO meet the social communication criteria then you have SCD instead of ASD.

Edit- to answer the OP - I have the full ASD with the RRBs.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:00 pm

^^^
I forgot- there's also a provision that if you ever had two of those RRBs in your developmental history (and they caused severe impairment) then you'd still qualify for the diagnosis even if you don;t have them now. So, if you have report cards talking about you flapping your hands and humming constantly as a kid that would count as one of the RRBs even if you don't do it now, for example.

Last edited by daydreamer84 on 03 Feb 2014, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:01 pm

I expect the new criteria are going to be used to undiagnose people, even though they are written in such a way that if taken literally it would seem that shouldn't be the case.

We are so wedded in this country to the notion that if you can measure something it is more valid, that even though the criteria clearly indicate the degree to which the person is impacted may decrease considerably over the lifespan, when it comes to diagnosing, if it can no longer be seen, it will probably be decreed to no longer exist. Hope I'm wrong about this, though.

In any case for now, for me, ASD not SCD. And I was upset reading, the emphasis in the ASD criteria is so much on broken. Fortunately or not, I can hide pretty well and sometimes almost fit in.

How about you Zombiegirl? ASD or SCD?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:05 pm

In terms of sameness, here's a question.

A few years ago, management put up a sign that says everyone's work schedule will be changed from 8 hours 5 days/week to 12 hours 3 days/week. I was so infuriated and beside myself with the expected change that I resigned on the spot.

Later on I reflected on the moment. I practically bounced off the walls upon learning the changes would take place in a few weeks. I couldn't help my reaction and I quit the job anyway.

Was my reaction to the changes in my routine spectrum related?

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:34 pm

Waterfalls wrote:

my therapist and i took a look at the DSM V together and both agreed on ASD.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:44 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Waterfalls wrote:

my therapist and i took a look at the DSM V together and both agreed on ASD.

Yeah, I looked at the new criteria with my psychologist too because I had asked her to tell me if I still met the criteria.

@Redrobin - Yeah, that sounds like it's aversion to change, need for sameness related to me (though I'm not sure about clinical significance-not a doc).

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:51 pm

Sethno wrote:
I've wondered about the sensory issues myself, but my therapist has noted my getting exhausted by going out to run errands or dealing with situations where there are lots of people. Apparently he thinks the fatigue is being caused by my mind being assaulted by sensory input.[/i]

GAH!! ! I just went through that this afternoon. We had a fair amount of snow yesterday, which people around here are not used to. Then today, it cleared up and got warm enough to melt all the roads free, but the forecast is still predicting more for the rest of the week, so today, which was my regular payday, I had to go to the grocery and do my monthly shopping, as my cupboard was literally bare.

The crowd at the store was INSANE. You would have thought the apocalypse was nigh, people were buying out everything and stockpiling food like a seven year famine was due to start tomorrow, all afraid of getting snowed in. Every aisle was crowded with people, milling about, talking to each other and generally getting in the damn way. Between the stress of making sure I didn't forget something on my list (which I did anyway), and worry about going over my budget, and the pointless muzak and the human cattle, the sensory input was a mind-crushing din.

By the time I got out of there and home and unloaded, my nerves were so fried I was nearly trembling from the stress. The routine of putting everything away helped calm me down, but if I hadn't absolutely HAD to shop, I would have turned around and gone home as soon as I saw the mob. :? :shaking:

Last edited by Willard on 04 Feb 2014, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 12:12 am

I have ASD. I have other dx that goes along with it, but it does not change that i am full blown ASD. The level of ASD i have fluctuates depending on different tests of abilities and disabilities.

Last edited by EzraS on 04 Feb 2014, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 12:13 am

I'm definitely still on the spectrum then. Out of all the different symptoms of ASD, the ones that affect me the most in my day-to-day life are definitely sensory related. As for repetitive behaviors, I'm not as prone to them now as I was when I was younger, but that probably just comes from growing up and "assimilating" more into NT society. That said, changes to my "routine" still affect me heavily, and I am still quite prone to obsessing over specific things. My stimming and restricted/obsessive interests are a major giveaway as well. :P

Last edited by mr_bigmouth_502 on 05 Feb 2014, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 12:22 am

redrobin62 wrote:
In terms of sameness, here's a question.

A few years ago, management put up a sign that says everyone's work schedule will be changed from 8 hours 5 days/week to 12 hours 3 days/week. I was so infuriated and beside myself with the expected change that I resigned on the spot.

Later on I reflected on the moment. I practically bounced off the walls upon learning the changes would take place in a few weeks. I couldn't help my reaction and I quit the job anyway.

Was my reaction to the changes in my routine spectrum related?

It's a safe bet, given that the rest of your coworkers didn't panic and quit their jobs on the spot. I probably would have been upset by it too. I was so anxious on my first day back at school after the Christmas holiday that I spent the entire day listening to my "theme song" over and over and over again on my ipod for literally hours at a time between classes. My only real problem was that after over a month at home, going back to school was a big transition, even if it was going to be almost exactly the same as the previous semester.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 9:59 am

deleted

Last edited by Lumi on 04 Feb 2014, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 11:37 am

I have social issues and intense interests (but more than one..I have 3 right now. The paleo diet and paleolithic nutrition and its link to physical and mental health, old 1940s movies and musicals particularly staring paulette goddard, jerry lewis, norman wisdom, james stewart, fred astaire and ginger rogers; and playing piano/evgeny kissin/learning music theory and composition. My interest in sharks has dropped down a notch as has needlecrafts as they don't get much of my time lately. My interests can change frequently sometimes although cross stitching was my main interest for nearly 8 years at one point...ergo I don't know if these things count).

I can have sensitivities in the following forms although some have improved over the years: dislike of clothing tags, difficulty with elastic and seams in socks and other clothing, difficulty wearing certain wool mixes (its like a thousand pins digging into your skin simultaneously or really scratchy) noise in crowds or where there are more than a few people talking at once, dislike of some sudden loud noises (but these will mostly just make me jump, or sometimes scream...it depends), bright sunlight and a dislike of supermarket lights.

I also have to have my sleep environment the same...need to keep wrinkles and bits out of the bed. I have certain routines such as eating certain foods in certain days or certain foods in certain orders or certain ways (ie ice cream and movie night. Always a Saturday evening after 9pm, always have the same brand and flavour of ice cream, always eat it with the same spoon (or more specifically a spoon from an identical set...never with a different spoon from a different set as the feel, weight and shape of the spoon is different and this changes my experience) and I always eat the ice cream in the same way...round the outside, level it off in the middle, round the outside, then level it off in the middle).

Must have a favourite movie on to sleep at night...cannot sleep without a television playing on timer. Have to have my tickle which is a silky piece of material I rub both during the daytime and at night.

This are just a few examples. I am not sure what is NT and what qualifies and what does not.

Social issues includes inability to make and maintain friendships. Difficulty in social interaction but I don't fully understand why, either i keep getting bullied, piss every one off or the conversations just keep dying out. I am stuck when it comes to that. Have not had a real life friend 20 years and before that friendships were short lived.

Routines annoy potential partners as I get upset when I have to deviate away from the too frequently.

People think I am weird, odd, unusual, different or strange...or so I am regularly told when I do try to socially interact.

Not sure where I fit on the spectrum.

PN i also get migraines so sound sensitivity and light sensitivity can be worsened by those.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 12:55 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
but i noticed people dont really care and still use Aspergers, even though its off the DSM V. (i know why though, its because not all countries and psychologists follow the DSM and use other diagnostic systems) so heres my question.

You also have to consider that a lot of ppl here are from countries who use the ICD-10 and not the DSM-5 and in the ICD-10 you still have Asperger's, HFA and LFA and so on and no SCD.
In my country noone really cares about the DSM-system, here we use the ICD-10 like nearly all countries in the world actually.