Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 10:23 pm

No I am not socially ret*d, or socially awkward. I think it is more that I am socially naïve, somewhat sheltered from the way I grew up, and sincere to a fault, and more than anything I have a lack of interest in socializing. But I am usually graceful about it, unless I get in a really upsetting situation and lose my cool.

I am slow on the draw, and slow to process what is happening, but once I figure it out I understand things more deeply than other people do. I think I have plenty of social intelligence and ability, but it's just difficult to put it to use in a real-time situation. I get too discombobulated, and it's tiresome.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 10:08 am

qawer wrote:
Pobbles wrote:
I'm quite happy to describe myself as socially ret*d, as the meaning of these words isn't too difficult to grasp for the vast majority or intellectually ret*d NT folk.

Some truth to that. If people with AS are socially ret*d in comparison to NTs, many NTs are intellectually ret*d in comparison to people with AS.

I must be socially and intellectually ''ret*d'' then compared to my NT peers, because I am not very bright.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 10:40 am

Call it what you will - For me though, it's a bit like walking on hot coals. I don't want to do it because I won't enjoy it and I know I'll only end up getting hurt - and I don't want that - so I don't do it!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 12:14 pm

capricasix wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I dislike the term ''ret*d''. I prefer to call myself ''socially awkward'' or ''socially anxious'' or ''socially hard work''. It just doesn't sound so upsetting.

I prefer "misfit".
I also think if NT's we're the minority, they would be the ones considered "something". It's a matter of perspective.

I also prefer misfit for a very obvious reason. Ray Davies said it well in 1978. 8)

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 2:44 pm

Joe90 wrote:
qawer wrote:
Pobbles wrote:
I'm quite happy to describe myself as socially ret*d, as the meaning of these words isn't too difficult to grasp for the vast majority or intellectually ret*d NT folk.

Some truth to that. If people with AS are socially ret*d in comparison to NTs, many NTs are intellectually ret*d in comparison to people with AS.

I must be socially and intellectually ''ret*d'' then compared to my NT peers, because I am not very bright.

I hope I didn't cause any offence with that. If I can presume to judge your intelligence (or presume that I'm intelligent enough to do so) by skimming your recent forum posts, I notice that you are more eloquent and thoughtful than a lot of NT women I know of your age.

I wouldn't say you were dull.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Feb 2014, 4:15 pm

Whilst it conveys information well, I would be hesitant to use the word "ret*d" because it encourages prejudice against the intellectually disabled.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 4:49 pm

Pobbles wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
qawer wrote:
Pobbles wrote:

I hope I didn't cause any offence with that. If I can presume to judge your intelligence (or presume that I'm intelligent enough to do so) by skimming your recent forum posts, I notice that you are more eloquent and thoughtful than a lot of NT women I know of your age.

I wouldn't say you were dull.

Yes but I do feel like I only know the basics of everything. Yes I may be good with contributing to online message boards, but I feel I am quite bright emotionally. But I am not bright intellectually, I am just average to underaverage. I have never been better than my peers at anything. They even got better grades than me at school. And it's no good saying I'm clever in my own way - because everyone's clever in their own way. Even my cousin's friend's brother, who has intellectual learning difficulties, is very brilliant with making things out of wood without requiring any help. I couldn't even do that, and he's 6 years younger than me.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 5:40 pm

Joe90 wrote:

You'll have to try much harder than that, if you're to convince me otherwise. 8)

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 8:53 pm

Yes, I have social deficits and I can be really naïve. It's part of the diagnosis.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 9:08 pm

Not so sure, since the term means 'slow' not sure it makes sense....i am not 'slower' at socializing and its not as though I am just behind on learning social skills...plenty make ok sense on paper but are hard to actually implement in real life social interactions. I would however say my executive function/processing speed is ret*d :twisted:

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 9:12 pm

♢ Social non-participants or
♢ Non-participating Social Individuals
♢ Conversationally challenged

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 9:38 pm

On a serious note: what is the problem with using the word "ret*d"? For starters, unlike some other derogatory words, it was never meant to be term of prejudice or insult. Secondly, the term used for those with Down Syndrome or other related disorders now is "intellectually challenged." So why can't we reclaim the word? It's a very good word, from the Latin "re" + "tardus" (slow). Words are very beautiful and have their own existence and history, much like people, and we just don't go around killing people (or shouldn't anyway).

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 10:01 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
On a serious note: what is the problem with using the word "ret*d"? For starters, unlike some other derogatory words, it was never meant to be term of prejudice or insult. Secondly, the term used for those with Down Syndrome or other related disorders now is "intellectually challenged." So why can't we reclaim the word? It's a very good word, from the Latin "re" + "tardus" (slow). Words are very beautiful and have their own existence and history, much like people, and we just don't go around killing people (or shouldn't anyway).

"ret*d" still has a stigma attached to it. I don't want to be regarded as ret*d in any way, regardless of how wonderful the word is.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:12 am

socially disadvantaged due to being a small minority.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

capricasix
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Feb 2014, 6:50 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Ray Davies said it well in 1978. 8)

Ditto!

Thanks for sharing that! :D

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 7:05 am

I don't think of myself as a social ret*d. However, I am very selective in what I say and who I say it to.

I think some people do avoid me because I'm so quiet, I can't blame them to be honest.

I think I'd feel awkward around me too. :)