Running into misunderstandings on this forum

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:06 pm

The main part of Autism or Aspergers is that it is a communications disorder.

I have along with the vast majority on this board being misunderstood in the NT world.

Now you get a whole load of us on this forum and while we mostly help each other out we do run into misunderstandings.

I started a thread two years ago with a sarcastic title not the best idea on an Autism forum I see now. :oops:

If somebody says something that might seem offensive I think we should remember where we are and ask for clarification before reacting.

We accuse NTs of doing this to us but we tend to do it a bit ourselves. :)

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:27 pm

I understand your point.

Since joining this forum I have been very pleasantly surprised at how relatively few big misunderstandings arise. It has been good practice for me to give extra thought and care to how I say things in order to minimize that.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:35 pm

sharkattack wrote:
I started a thread two years ago with a sarcastic title not the best idea on an Autism forum I see now. :oops:

It looks to me like somebody necro'd that thread (which is frowned upon by the mods), and now you're being misunderstood and unfairly scrutinized for something you posted two years ago.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:51 pm

I feel like I'm definitely misunderstanding what you're saying (quite ironic I suppose, but please reply and clarify), but I consider these following things that I witness on the board to be relevant regarding misunderstandings:

---------------------------

+ Generalizations and stereotyping of 'neurotypical' individuals (I.e. Assumptions that neurotypicals do not have problems and have perfect social skills etc.).
+ Assumptions that everyone who is nasty in the world is neurotypical.
+ Claims that neurotypicals don't understand autistics, when it is just as evident that some autistics don't understand neurotypicals. This is also a generalization.

Perhaps my least favourite of all:

+ The on-going invisible war between two imaginary groups.

---------------------------

Having Autism/Asperger's does not pigeon hole an individual's identity into a small circle as it provides very limited insight into whom a person truly is. The same goes for the term 'neurotypical', in that although the neurology of each individual is relatively 'typical', every person is unique. There are structural differences in autism, that is known, but how important are those differences in contrast to personality and actual identity? A disorder does not define an individual any more so than any other aspect of what makes someone human. Even with that said, our understanding of neurology is so limited that for all we know, something as simple as increased lazyness could be caused by a difference in neurology, and not be classified simply because others have more motivation etc. Where is the line drawn? Fact of the matter is we don't and presently cannot know.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:52 pm

Ashariel wrote:
sharkattack wrote:

It looks to me like somebody necro'd that thread (which is frowned upon by the mods), and now you're being misunderstood and unfairly scrutinized for something you posted two years ago.

Thanks and in fairness this is the first misunderstanding I have run into on this board. :)

What does necor'd the thread mean does it mean digging up a very old thread?

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:55 pm

sharkattack wrote:
What does necro'd the thread mean does it mean digging up a very old thread?

Yup!

Then I have done my job

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:56 pm

AScomposer13413 wrote:
sharkattack wrote:

Yup!

Thanks.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 1:24 pm

sharkattack wrote:
The main part of Autism or Aspergers is that it is a communications disorder.

I have along with the vast majority on this board being misunderstood in the NT world.

Now you get a whole load of us on this forum and while we mostly help each other out we do run into misunderstandings.

If somebody says something that might seem offensive I think we should remember where we are and ask for clarification before reacting.

We accuse NTs of doing this to us but we tend to do it a bit ourselves. :)

You're right. There's so much variation on the spectrum, even diagnosed autistics won't necessarily be "on the same page" when trying to communicate with each other.

Guess that's life.

Like you more or less said:

If things do start heading towards offense, better to give the benefit of the doubt and assume it's a misunderstanding. Even NT's aren't perfect in their use of language. Those with communication difficulties will have problems with it too. Assume the other person means well and wants peace. A lesson for us all to learn.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 2:02 pm

sharkattack wrote:
AScomposer13413 wrote:
sharkattack wrote:

Yup!

Thanks.

Necro'd as in Necromancy?

Raising the dead thread...

Easier than raising the titanic and doesn't come with the tones of Celine dion as its sound track.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 2:06 pm

I have misunderstandings every where I go be it a forum or otherwise.

So much so I feel that life as a mute hermit may just be for me... 8O

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 2:22 pm

I personally believe that misunderstandings will happen inevitably in any congregation of people, be it offline or online. While, yes, there is an element of mutual understanding among the majority of the poster body here on WrongPlanet, due to our community consisting of autistics and allies, we are still each of us individuals, coming from individual backgrounds, walks of life, and schools of philosophy, that vary greatly from poster to poster. One must also not necessarily view the occurrence of misunderstandings that arise due to this variation, as inherently a bad thing; it is precisely the things that get lost in translation in the exchange between two or more posters, that may prompt one to revise their own views.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 2:45 pm

Ashariel wrote:
sharkattack wrote:

This. Also, I think you're right OP, that misunderstandings will abound in a community of people with social communication impairments and patience and tolerance are required when they do.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 2:56 pm

I try my best to write as well as possible to mitigate misunderstandings. Still, they can happen and people could get offended. Such is life.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 3:28 pm

Misunderstandings suck and it happens to lot of people online ASD or not. Fetlife is the worse and babycenter.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 4:13 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Misunderstandings suck and it happens to lot of people online ASD or not. Fetlife is the worse and babycenter.

Fetlife is a nightmare

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 4:24 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
Ashariel wrote:
sharkattack wrote:

This. Also, I think you're right OP, that misunderstandings will abound in a community of people with social communication impairments and patience and tolerance are required when they do.

Just to add that thread was aimed at NTs who use to come onto the board to tell us we were just looking for attention.

I will try in future to keep my posts as literal as possible to avoid confusion.

I also try and use the Emoticons to express when I am saying things in an easy going friendly way as some of my posts can come off as angry or nit picking.

I sometimes write five or six lines to express something that other people can say better in one sentence.