Why do WP veterans write such huge posts?

Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 6:10 am

Probably just a pet peeve and am in a peevy mood over lots right now anyways.
Just saw what looked like a really interesting subject to comment on and when I
opened it, it was like "dear god, it's as long as the declaration of independence"

I personally always feel an obligation to my readers to make my posts readable.
Put work into making them structured and to the point. Quick and easy to read.

I always find it ironic when someone makes a concise one paragraph post and then says,
"sorry for the long post". At least I know they are sensitive to their readers.
And really not meaning to trash anyone at all. They are under no obligation to me or vice versa.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 8:39 am

I do sometimes write long paragraphs, but I never know how to shorten it without adding all the information I need the viewers to know. Sometimes I feel I have to explain everything otherwise people assume things or doubt me on other things and I find myself having to explain all the time.

I'm trying not to write too long original posts so much. I do get a bit annoyed when I see an interesting thread title what I could relate to what asks you a question, and then I find it's like 6 big paragraphs long going on about themselves. I don't mind reading long-paragraphed posts in other WP forums like the Haven or Members Only or something like that, but in the GAD I feel it's more of a place to discuss things rather than gabble on and on about a personal problem.

I don't mind if a GAD thread is titled something like ''I don't like loud noises...'' and it's about the OP, but when it asks ''do you hate loud noises?'' you see the title and think ''yes, I do, I will express my thoughts on that!''

Oh forget it, I don't think I'm explaining myself very clearly.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 10:14 am

Poor Theory of Mind and unusual social approach are traits of autism. So when a person on WP makes a post that demonstrates an unnecessarily long-winded communication style, plus a lack of awareness of how it comes across to others, I see the reason as obvious: they're autistic.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 11:07 am

Ashariel wrote:
Poor Theory of Mind and unusual social approach are traits of autism. So when a person on WP makes a post that demonstrates an unnecessarily long-winded communication style, plus a lack of awareness of how it comes across to others, I see the reason as obvious: they're autistic.

Right, except in my case that's the one area I actually excel in.
But tbh, I see NT's making huge posts too elsewhere.
But I agree, now that you explained to me, more likely with autism.
Don't really know what the theory of mind thingy is, but guessing maybe it is like lack of self awareness,
which I have in many cases. Not knowing what I'm doing is bothering others in some way, or even why
exactly.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 12:05 pm

I have a hard time putting my thoughts into small sentences. I often feel I have more to say. lately I haven't been making as long posts because I am not in the mood to think or put my thoughts down and I feel I have done it enough and don't care to share more. But there are members who make longer posts than me and I usually skip them because it's too much for me to read. I may skim them or read parts of it unless it's a reply to my post. Then other times I have been making short posts because I am too lazy to think or put my thoughts down and to even type it out.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Jojopa
Raven
Raven

04 Mar 2014, 12:17 pm

Oh look, it's me from the future :wink:

On-topic, I'm a fast reader so while I don't usually bother writing long posts myself, I don't mind if others are willing to go to the effort of writing a mini-essay, if I'm interested in the thread topic then it'll often be worth reading. I don't see the problem, if you don't want to read you can always skip over that post.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 12:21 pm

They're Aspie-lectures. We're Aspies (and auties). What other explanation do we need? :)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

04 Mar 2014, 12:31 pm

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm pritty sure it has something to do with being autistic.

You wouldn't want to leave anything out you know.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 12:45 pm

i do tend to write long posts here because i like to get my point across. perhaps thats why threads always die as soon as i write a post, or might be because of my sloppy typing (maybe i should work on that, i'm not very good on the computer ).

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 12:57 pm

Callista wrote:
They're Aspie-lectures. We're Aspies (and auties). What other explanation do we need? :)

:lol: Yeah, I have difficulty being concise and pithy in my writing. Usually I give too much information, too many details. I've been trying to work on that. Apparently I talk that way too sometimes, without regard for the listener's attention span, going on too long. Sometimes it feels like I'm only talking for a few seconds or writing a little bit but my mum tells me that I don't need to write an epistle for an email or go on so long, it don't realize it.

Last edited by daydreamer84 on 04 Mar 2014, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 1:06 pm

Hi Ezra,

I too like to read short posts that answer a question by getting directly to the point.

But I find I need to throttle down my responses by breaking them into separate pieces. But I don't feel I can leave anything out and still be honestly complete and hopefully helpful in my posts.

Think Ezra, how much more you will know about this or any subject with 10 more years of understanding. Think of your capacity in 20, 40, 60 years. What will you write to your brothers and sisters then? It may run into more words, therefor solutions are needed to provide easier reading and understanding. Others ideas on suitable delivery from bright minds are needed. Will you volunteer your ideas on improvement?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 1:52 pm

Why do some WPers (or other forum people) use the wrong spelling of words? :wink:

Some have a lot to say. Some go off on tangents.

There's the unwritten "5 Line Rule." Most people won't bother reading more than 5 lines of your post. So if you make it long, make sure those first 5 lines give the reader something to be interested in going farther.

Frankly, by big beef is the ever nested quotes (going back 20 or so posts)...maddening.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 2:17 pm

There's value in an in-depth perspective, because sometimes not much can be gained from 2-3 sentences. Short, concise answers are better for something concrete or factual, but to give someone a real understanding of an individual's perspectives or experiences more context might be needed.

At the same time, communication is a two-way street, and long and in-depth aren't actually the same thing. If you want to be understood, you have to do more than just make noise or tap keys. I'll read longer posts, but skip them if there's so little formatting and direction that it makes my head hurt.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 2:44 pm

I don't explain everything in every little detail when I'm talking to people, nor do I like them to explain everything in every detail to me either, I just want them to get to the point. But when I'm online, sometimes I feel more compelled to have to explain everything in every detail, mostly when I'm asking for help about something like about my computer. Online-users (whether they're on the spectrum or not) seem to want every detail instead of just reading between the lines of the information I have put. Also it is easier when talking to people because you can get clues of what they mean by body language, tone of voice and facial expressions. But online you don't see all of that, you've just got to explain everything more in words, which might be why it is harder to read between the lines. This can apply to anybody.

I like typing online which is another reason why I get carried away with writing long posts. Sometimes I like viewers to picture the same as what I'm picturing, so by doing that I have to explain everything in every detail. I don't think it's a form of being selfish or lacking theory of mind. It's just that while I'm creating an original post, I sometimes assume the questions I will be asked (usually cliche questions or answers), so I answer them in the post so that I won't be asked in the replies, and then I could go on forever.

See? There's already two paragraphs of 4 to 6 lines of explanations as to why I sometimes write long posts. I just can't think of a way of explaining myself any shorter than that.

Aspies writing long posts online might sometimes be because we don't always get the chance to express ourselves in the offline world, because of being too shy or ignored or whatever, so coming on here and expressing ourselves and having other people being able to read our thoughts might be a relieving feeling, especially for the introverted Aspies who want to be heard but struggle at the same time (like myself).

heckeler06
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 3:02 pm

I like brevity.

But context is important; things that are unnecessarily long and needlessly repetitive I end up skimming.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 3:39 pm

I understand not everyone wants to read long posts, but you think it is selfish to do so?? 8O Do such people demand that their posts be read, or responded to?

Try another perspective: writing is a gift of a person's time and effort, and it may not be easy for everyone here to write, or to open up and share their experiences.