Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Cardamine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2014, 6:32 am

This is my first post as officially aspergers! I had my diagnoses on tuesday, though i've known/suspected for about 10 years. (I'm 42 and female.) Although i read a lot about aspergers a while ago, my diagnoses has renewed my interest and i'm looking for good sources of information.

I know there's loads of good books on what it's like to be apergers, but i think what i need is to read about what it's like to be neurotypical. The way my aspergers effects me tends to be in relationships with neurotypicals for example at work, and i'd like to be able to understand them better, figure out why they act the way they do, and how i can have better relationships with them.

Can anyone recommend a good book/blog etc?
(by the way - i'm not joking, or making a point - i really do need this!)

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 6:41 am

NT's don't generally struggle in life, except from the norm (divorce, sexuality, debt, jobs, etc.) so there isn't a reason to write a book for them.

I would honestly suggest reading threads and stuff around here, to get to know what peoples Autistic traits are, so you can recognise them in yourself, and go from there.

There are things you can't change to make yourself seem NT, for example sensory problems.

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

Cardamine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2014, 6:47 am

Hi Wind. Thanks for your reply. I didn't mean a book for neurotypicals. What i meant was a book for apergers people on how to understand neurotypicals and so communicate with them better. For example, i've had problems at work with people being unhappy with me, but not telling me. Instead they would talk to each other about it an undermine me at work, but i didn't know they had a problem with me - as, being neurotypical, they did not tell me. This is the sort of thing that i would like to gain more understanding of. I think if i had a understanding of how neurotypicals operate i would be able to communicate with them more effectively. Does that make sense?

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 6:53 am

I understand what you mean now, but there isn't really a book on that. There are therapy books, but not NT guides for ASD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cognitive-Behav ... +aspergers

Try this book. It's been mentioned a few times around here lately. I plan to download it to my Kindle when I have my next payment on Tuesday.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 6:57 am

ive heard of this one recently too / haven't found a copy anywhere yet so no idea how it is
http://books.google.ca/books/about/A_Fi ... TXm03eg2gC

By simply doing what they are designed to do something large and magnificient happens. In this sense they show us how to live; The only barometer you have is your heart. When you spot your flower, you can't let anything get in your way. - John Laroche

Cardamine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2014, 7:05 am

Really like the look of a field guide to earthlings. Anyone on here read it?
It's on amazon here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Guide-Ear ... earthlings

So, i might buy a copy.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 7:13 am

I have read Field Guide To Earthlings. It is exactly what you are looking for. You should order it.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 7:18 am

That book looks interesting. I want it now xD

Cardamine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2014, 7:21 am

Janissy wrote:
I have read Field Guide To Earthlings. It is exactly what you are looking for. You should order it.

Great! Thank you.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 10:02 am

I haven't read it, but Rudy Simone has written a book Aspergers at Work. And Michelle Garcia Winner writes about thinking socially, I have read some things by her, she is excellent. She has a website with a lot of information, too. Here is the link. https://www.socialthinking.com. I think the website has some things related to the issues you're describing. I have bought a couple things she wrote, they were good, too.

Cardamine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2014, 11:33 am

Thanks. Like the look of 'Aspergers on the Job' Rudi Simone. I read her 'Aspergirls' a while back and related to a lot of stuff in that.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 11:37 am

Cardamine wrote:
This is my first post as officially aspergers! I had my diagnoses on tuesday, though i've known/suspected for about 10 years. (I'm 42 and female.) Although i read a lot about aspergers a while ago, my diagnoses has renewed my interest and i'm looking for good sources of information.

I know there's loads of good books on what it's like to be apergers, but i think what i need is to read about what it's like to be neurotypical. The way my aspergers effects me tends to be in relationships with neurotypicals for example at work, and i'd like to be able to understand them better, figure out why they act the way they do, and how i can have better relationships with them.

Can anyone recommend a good book/blog etc?
(by the way - i'm not joking, or making a point - i really do need this!)

Congratulations on the diagnosis. Self-knowledge is a precious and useful thing. Good luck with the "better relationships" thing!

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 11:38 am

Janissy wrote:

100% agreed. It's a real eye opener. There's a thread I started after reading the book for the 2nd time. See: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt232428.html.

Cardamine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2014, 11:47 am

Adamantium wrote:
Congratulations on the diagnosis. Self-knowledge is a precious and useful thing. Good luck with the "better relationships" thing!

Thank you! I'm actually feeling quite proud of myself. I was on the waiting list for three years and lots of my friends told me i wasn't aspergers, so i'm pleased i stuck it out. My assessor was lovely. She has a real understanding of how to talk to an aspie and made the diagnoses process very positive.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 11:50 am

There are guidebooks for neurotypicals written to understand other neurotypicals (i.e. websites and books about neurotypical culture B which may be 'unfamiliar' to neurotypical raised in culture A). Think those business/culture guidebooks on etiquette in China...or etiqutte books for black people in USA explaining etiquette some white americans practice.

Jojopa
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2014, 12:34 pm

It's not specially for AS people but I found 'How to Win Friends And Influence People' by Carnegie helpful in some basics of social interaction, how to interest people, how to leave a good impression. It won't teach you to be an NT but it helps me fake NT interaction for short bursts, well until the mask slips down and by then I've already got the job :lol: