Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

GinBlossoms
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2014, 5:01 pm

In the other section, I glanced over a couple of recent negative news pieces about AS. I feel very sorry for all those others with AS, especially now that it's an open book and all. I will avoid the temptation to mock NT's and calling them ignorant though. Do you think our label really helps us in society? I just hide it whenever possible as if nothing was "wrong" with me. I'm also really working on becoming better socially, all my life I was withdrawn.

By the way, do I really need to worry about bad guys with AS, I try to put it at the back of my mind, but it's kind of growing on me that were being victims.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 5:05 pm

I didn't understand the last part, but I'm glad I have a label for my eccentric behaviour, otherwise I'll probably never have a hope at having a nice life because I'm so weird.

I'm not like others, so having a label helps me give reason for the behaviours, but I must put out there I don't use it as an excuse.

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 5:07 pm

GinBlossoms-

Could you clarify what you mean about 'it being an open book', and just what situations you're talking about?

You're being a bit vague.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 5:14 pm

Representing the "undiagnosed club" I can say self-diagnosis helps me to come to terms with behavioral traits that can be better explained now. Knowing this has been therapeutic for me but also frustrating as I'm fairly sure my mother must have known my father, brother and myself were all on the spectrum (she is a retired special needs teacher).

On the issue of getting a formal AS diagnosis I see no advantage for me.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 5:27 pm

GinBlossoms wrote:
Do you think our label really helps us in society?

No, it most definitely does not help "in society" as the media (at least in the states) is constantly painting us as potentially violent psychopaths. I do not make a habit of telling people about it.

OTOH, the label has helped my personal emotional and mental health tremendously, by allowing me to understand who I am and why I am this way. After a lifetime of being told by others that I was just a loser, it changes everything to realize that it wasn't my fault, but a neurological disorder over which I had no control.

Also, it helped me qualify for disability assistance at a time when my meager career was finally deserting me once and for all - that was a lifesaver.

So it has both positives and negatives. I'm glad to have the diagnosis, but I wouldn't wear it on my shirt.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 10:03 pm

I don't know about helping or not helping "us" in "Society". I do know that personally it has really helped me tremendously. I now have an actual real reason for being weird, I am not just a weirdo. And understanding how my brain actually works and being able to help others understand has done me so much good. It has boosted my self esteem and self confidence and even though my quirks have hurt some of my relationships and even caused me to lose some, the people who love me the most have only loved me more deeply and have become more protective of me and more patient and loving towards me since we found out that I am on the Spectrum. And when I tell people now, they usually understand and it really helps in my friendships now. I don't have a lot of friends but the few that I do have who understand are loyal. And that means a lot to me. Those who don't understand and who don't choose to be my friends or whatever, I don't worry about them because the people who love me really love me. And having the knowledge now about my Asperger's has really helped deepen those bonds.

Wreck It Ralph