Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Wags
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2014, 3:20 pm

I'm anxious and bad at greeting people, such as my sister visiting from another state. I will track my dads phone with the iphone tracker (yeah creepy ik), and make sure I am on my bike when they pull in the driveway, so I can just say hi and wave through the window. Anyone else terrible at greeting people?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 4:23 pm

I am sometimes, in various ways.

When guests come to my house, I always like to answer the door so that I can get the greeting over with. Or when I come home from somewhere and there are guests round, I always feel embarrassed to come in and peep my head round the living-room door to greet everyone, but feel terribly rude if I just go straight upstairs, in case I was seen or heard coming in. It is often hard to come up with ways of avoiding greetings with people but not appearing rude. I must admit, it does feel awkward when you don't greet guests. It feels awkward for you, the other residents in your house, and the guests.

Greeting people at work is another matter. For some reason I don't feel embarrassed greeting people at work. I just worry in case I smile and say good morning and get no answer. Sometimes that has happened and it makes me feel awkward then.

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2014, 8:53 am

Not always, but I totally get freaked out by greetings. My best friends mom used to get mad at me for "greeting the dogs but not acknowledging any people" when arriving at their house. I never really realized that I was doing this or that anyone noticed or was bothered/offended by it. The thing is, the dogs immediately acknowledge me when I walk in the door and make it very clear they are happy I am over by jumping, running, licking, playing with toys, etc. Even though I'd come over often, they make a big deal of me. The people just continue with their conversation or activity and expect me to just dive in somehow. It's hard.

iammaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2014, 9:26 am

banana247 wrote:
My best friends mom used to get mad at me for "greeting the dogs but not acknowledging any people" when arriving at their house.

I do this too. pets are always so much simpler.

it depends who im greeting. if its someone i want to talk to i usually just start talking about whatever it was. If its someone i dont know or someone who isnt there to see me, i just usually poke my head out around a doorway, wave, and then go back to doing what i was doing.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 10:10 am

I'm usually hiding behind my parents.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 10:39 am

I hate when we have guests. I hide upstairs until it's hours later and I'm busting for the toilet, so I HAVE to go downstairs. Our house is old and was built pre-war so our toilet is downstairs :(

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 4:33 pm

Greeting folk is something I've never been good at. Should I say 'hi' or hello? Should I shake hands? If it's a woman should we kiss? Way too many questions and by the time I've sorted it out I'm getting odd looks from them because they've introduced themselves and got nothing back.

Then, when they leave, we have to go through the whole thing again :?

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 7:08 pm

I have been getting better at it the last few years
if someone says hi to me ill say it back

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 10:20 pm

The "saying hello"-process turned into some sort of routine for me by now, if it is someone who a family member knows, I will greet that person, if they notice me. But anything beyond the "hello" or "hi" seem very dependent on my day and state. If I am in a crowded place, I'll surely have to make an effort not to forget to respond to a greeting or anything alike, same goes for any other situation with lots of input.

Just last week I went by train (with my brother) to get to a place where I could take photos of certain stuff that I needed. On our way back home when I was already exhausted, we met a "collegue" of my brother (if you can call him that way), it was the first time we met (I think) and I was already so done that I forgot to introduce myself... :oops:
I thought about the "Hi" at least and shook his hand, but that was embarrassing since he told me his name. Luckily it was so loud in that train that I (after realizing it) was able to pretend I didn't hear what he said and since he got into a conversation with my brother afterwards, I just didn't bother to repeat that "getting familiar"-process. Well, unless the train only seemed loud to me but not others because I was exhausted... I better don't want to know, would be just more embarrassing in retrospect, if it actually wasn't that loud. :oops: