Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AmieLynn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Mar 2014, 4:52 pm

Does this happen to anybody else? I noticed that a lot of times when I'm walking in walmart I get very light headed and my vision gets distorted and everything seems "bright" and "otherworldly" for lack of a better term. This also sometimes happens in doctors offices or at therapy. I'll be watching someone talk to me and all of a sudden I feel very light headed and the lights in the room get super bright.

Does this happen to anyone else?

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 5:03 pm

I get this, particularly in supermarkets, but also in other places including libraries and art galleries.
I sort of attributed it to sensory overload/sensory issues, otherwise I'm not sure what causes it.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 5:26 pm

Yes, but this can happen to me even looking at computer screens :/

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 5:30 pm

When there are flickering lights I get a bit lightheaded and nauseous. This happens to me sometimes at the subway station near my house and the library where I work two nights a week. There are a lot of flickering florescent lights that need to be changed in both places.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 5:47 pm

Walmart sucks out all my brrrainzzz, so I always forget multiple items of what I am supposed to buy there.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 5:49 pm

I had a part-time job for a couple of years, cleaning computer equipment in various Walmart stores and I'm extremely familiar with that phenomenon. It wasn't so bad in the older, smaller stores, but in the Supercenters it made me feel dizzy and nauseated. I attribute it to sensory overload, from the light, from the noise, registers beeping and blooping, customers chattering, music playing and the whooshing and echoing of the air conditioners in that airplane hangar of a building - it's just too much for my autistic brain to process all at once. Four to six hours of that and it would take me a full two to three days off to recover from it.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 6:50 pm

Happens to me too...and I work there. 8O @Willard: you described it perfectly.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 9:48 pm

All the time in walmart or sams club or grocery stores. has even caused slight panic attacks. i usually have shades on in those kinds of places.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 11:26 pm

Do you think that it's visual, or something else? I get headaches and other symptoms with computers (and a lot of my work has been infront of them), but at least some of that it high-frequency noise. I keep almost everything with a capacitor out of my bedroom for that reason - AC adapters, CRTs, even my cell phone.

Pretty much any indoor building will have tons of visual and auditory pollution. In a big store with high ceilings, both the sound and light aren't blocked as much, since they can reflect around above the shelves.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 1:11 pm

EzraS wrote:
All the time in walmart or sams club or grocery stores. has even caused slight panic attacks. i usually have shades on in those kinds of places.

I tend to get those in Safeway for some reason...I avoid that place as much as possible. 8O

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17