ignorant things said /procived about disability

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 2:11 pm

That people will not even bother to ask autistic people what they think about issues pertaining to autism. That people do not even try to listen when we do talk about autism. I have been bluntly reminded about this the last few days with CDC report* panic in the last few days.

*Report said 30% increase in diagnosed children in 11 USA states

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ouroborosUK
Toucan
Toucan

30 Mar 2014, 5:56 pm

When I was not diagnosed yet (but thinking I might have AS), the husband of a friend of mine once all but said that aspergers is a defect and people with it are little more than monsters. Both her wife and my girlfriend came down on him with such violence that he left the place we were, only came back half an hour later, and barely spoke for the rest of the evening.

Overall I felt not bad about it. What my girlfriend and my friend think is important but what that person thinks is not.

A bit obsessed with vocabulary, semantics and using the right words. Sorry if it is a concern. It's the way I think, I am not hair-splitting or attacking you.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 6:46 pm

When people tell autistics to "Stop stimming/going on about that/having a meltdown" as if we have complete control over what we're doing and are just doing it to annoy others. Another one I hate is when I react badly to startling or overwhelming sensory stimuli and everyone around me belittles my experience with, "It's not that bad."

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 10:08 pm

"You're not autistic. I worked with autisic kids and they couldn't talk & hit themselves & had seizures. You're not like that at all so I know you're lying to me & just using it as an excuse to be on oversensitive as*hole."

FFS!! !! !

I behave & react in ways they don't like.
They ask me for an explaination
I give it to them, and get accused of lying for my trouble.
Then I get told that I should just suck it up & stop behaving & reacting that way, as if I could control it completely.

Awesome.

No one can see your pain, and if you're not screaming your lungs out it's unlikely they'll even acknowledge it as a real thing.

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2014, 11:15 pm

Bodyles thats so true

you wont believe this i got denied disability allowance in the letter i got back it said my asd wasn't likely to last more than 1 year and also it doesn't affect me doing any type of job its so stupid i had to go back to my dr and psychologist to ask them to back me up in writing

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 12:55 am

Not last more than a year?
A permanent neurological disorder!?

*sigh*

I hope I never have to apply for disability, it sounds like a nightmare and then when you're on it you're stuck.
I dunno that just sucks.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 1:39 am

AztecQueen2000 wrote:
That we can't expect the world to accommodate us. Please! If they can put Braille on an ATM and make a car that can be driven by a paraplegic, then why not? All we require is some understanding and less ignorance.

This ^ x100.
That I can't have AS, or if I do then it must be a really mild version, (whilst berating me for a bunch of traits that are <duh> autistic.

faery
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2014, 2:48 am

that if you're able to interact with others once in a while and come off as fairly adept socially, you're overblowing your struggles and should be able to do everything a neurotypical can.

and proceeding to tell me that im not as different as i think i am, when i didnt even say i was ridiculously special in the first place. i just shared my experiences of how i see the world, and they interpret it as an attempt to be more unique and interesting?

"i was depressed once, but i got over it by thinking positive thoughts. people who are unable to do that are weak."

"but life is stressful! everyone is a little stressed, just get up and do it."

+++ several things mentioned in this thread

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2014, 3:30 am

I disclosed my Asperger's in a meeting with a number of senior managers - it was relevant and not just me blurting it out! :)

One said, "Oh well we can make sure you get all of the resources in large format!" another one nodded and said, "Yes and we can print them on blue paper for you too!"

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.

KAS
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Mar 2014, 9:27 am

Davvo7 wrote:
One said, "Oh well we can make sure you get all of the resources in large format!" another one nodded and said, "Yes and we can print them on blue paper for you too!" m.

Kinds makes , you wonder what they think is meant by Aspergers.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Mar 2014, 11:16 am

Sounds like they confused autism with dyslexia...

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 7:00 pm

When I was at a restaurant, and very subtly flapped my fingers against my palm, and my mother looked at me (like she always does) and say at: "Cut that out! You look like a f*cking ret*d!"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 11:37 pm

Just Smile

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 2:20 am

Verdandi wrote:
When people insist that it's necessary and possible to overcome disabilities with sheer force of will.

While all aspects of ASD as a disability can't be overcome with effort, for many people on the spectrum things like obvious public stimming such as rocking and flapping hands can be. There is absolutely no reason why anyone who is high functing should get into the ground and start rocking back and forth in the middle of public. If you are high functioning you should be able to control yourself more and not do these things public.

Last edited by DVCal on 01 Apr 2014, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2014, 3:22 am

[quote="KAS Kinds makes , you wonder what they think is meant by Aspergers.[/quote]

Indeed it does.

You are correct "The_Walrus", "Sounds like they confused autism with dyslexia..."

I did point that out but they just moved the meeting along as if nothing had happened. They probably thought, "well it was on of those things that end in 'ic' anyway!"

On another occasion I was challenged for calling myself autistic. I was reminded that I was supposed to refer to myself as a person with autism. They still didn't get it when I said I was free to identify any way I chose since it was me who said it about myself. There has been a massive drive in the UK to be 'inclusive' and 'equitable' when engaging with the 'disabled community' by using the person first approach; yet when you point out the fundamental flaws and disrespect in this process 'they' (usually white middle class female social workers or support workers) get really aggressive and dismissive and I get really angry. I end up being accused of being militant and radical and just not understanding and then I respond by pointing out their patronising and arrogant views.... and so it goes on. Sigh. :(

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 6:57 am

DVCal wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
When people insist that it's necessary and possible to overcome disabilities with sheer force of will.

While all aspects of ASD as a disability can't be overcome with effort, for many people on the spectrum things like obvious public stimming such as rocking and flapping hands can be. There is absolutely no reason why anyone who is high functing should get into the ground and start rocking back and forth in the middle of public. If you are high functioning you should be able to control yourself more and not do these things public.

Did you post this as an example of something ignorant that is said?

Last edited by Waterfalls on 01 Apr 2014, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.