Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 10:24 am

For me it's always a big effort that never quite succeeds, but occasionally I seem to derive happiness from just 'being there' accidentally, as if given a gift by a nice anonymous person.

This seems like a conclusion rather than a whole account, but that's all I seem to be able to say on the matter right now. Curious what everyone else thinks.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 10:35 am

I enjoy parts of it, and then other parts I don't. I've arrived at a point where I think that if I were cnstantly enjoying everything about my life, then maybe I wouldn't be able to appreciate that since one needs to consider the less pleasant things as well- they provide nuance. And trying to solve my problems also helps make me stronger. So I try to be realistic and remember that some things in life are not enjoyable, but need to be faced nevertheless.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 10:38 am

I enjoy life and most things that it has to offer. I live each day of my life like it's my last. I'm autistic and I'm happy to be alive. :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 10:41 am

I agree with Cyclops, with both eyes!

I think I enjoy life more when adversity gets in the way of that enjoyment temporarily.

However, despite what I believe, I do tend, at times, to seek instant gratification. I don't like to feel solemn at all. I don't like tributes, even foy myself. I hate political correctness with a passion; it saps enjoyment out of life like a sponge swallows up water.

I hope everybody enjoys their day today LOL

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 10:42 am

Sometimes I find myself enjoying life

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 11:18 am

currently - was at a con yesterday - yes

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 12:05 pm

Warsie wrote:
currently - was at a con yesterday - yes

Wow, it's like everybody went to a convention yesterday, except for me. :D
Just read a post by someone on another forum who went to his first comic con in Iowa, and a couple of members of the Dutch Marvel Comics Facebook page I'm subscribed to, also went to a convention.
I was gonna go, but something got in between. It was going to be my first sci fi convention, too! But there'll be more to come.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 12:13 pm

Most of the time I truly enjoy life. Unfortunately, when I get super sad about something, I tend to forget that.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 12:57 pm

Sure, enough to consider it by far the better option. My life is far from ideal, but from tinkering with my approach I've been able to cultivate some of the things I want. It's a myth that people are supposed to feel good all the time.

capri0112
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2014, 1:27 pm

I have found it takes enormous effort to find enjoyment in things most people naturally seem to thrive on: namely, things involving other people i.e. social gatherings, talking on the phone, etc.

I get pleasure from SUCCESSFULLY connecting with people, but "successfully connecting" never happens without exerting a great deal of energy trying very hard not to inadvertently annoy and anger people, which is exhausting, and rarely 100% effective no matter how hard I try.

I have not found much pleasure in physical activities and sports, like many people seem to. I am generally uncoordinated and often too tired or disorganized enough to feel motivated spending my spare time exercising, training for 5K's, etc.

I find pleasure in reading and learning new things, snuggling with animals (especially cats), eating delicious food, finding great deals when shopping (which I usually do by myself), and things like that...

The theme? Things that don't depend on the presence of other people are my most reliable sources of pleasure. One exception: my children...can't imagine life without these 2 amazing creatures! :)

Most days, I am just happy to make it through a 24-hour period without a major social faux pas or embarrassing gaffe. That's usually happiness enough for me!

Last edited by capri0112 on 30 Mar 2014, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 1:53 pm

TheValk wrote:
For me it's always a big effort that never quite succeeds, but occasionally I seem to derive happiness from just 'being there' accidentally, as if given a gift by a nice anonymous person.

This seems like a conclusion rather than a whole account, but that's all I seem to be able to say on the matter right now. Curious what everyone else thinks.

Very rarely.

Imo, every single aspect of the Universe is ineffable and fills me with awe except for our species and the 'human condition'.

Our Species is the most malevolent destructive life form imaginable and we make life virtually intolerable for ourselves.

The internal struggle of the 'human condition' is NOT worth the suffering and trouble.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 2:31 pm

Pretty much.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 3:05 pm

No. I hate it. Every morning I wake up and I hate that I'm still here. I think of it as a punishment. But if I kill myself it would be like trying to escape and then I would get added time.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 3:27 pm

I can't say that I truly enjoy life.

I'm not certain whether I have ever enjoyed anything to be honest.

It's more a case of that I have learned a way to endure it as painlessly as possible.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 3:31 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
No. I hate it. Every morning I wake up and I hate that I'm still here. I think of it as a punishment. But if I kill myself it would be like trying to escape and then I would get added time.

This represents most of my days.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 3:32 pm

TheValk wrote:

This represents my good days.