Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bobba
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2014, 6:15 pm

he has been throughout my life and still, pointing out my faults, he usually talks several minutes about my weaknesses, he says it with disgust in his eyes and voice, he sounds angry. almost as if he wants to beat me.

why does he do so? In fact, he actually has right about me, but it still makes me sad when he says it. I feel completely empty and useless.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 6:29 pm

Having your faults pointed out by others is a painful but necessary [art of growth, so he's right to do it in part. However, it seems as if he's doing it in a demeaning way, which is wrong. He should instead point out ways in which you can fix it, and be patient with you making these changes in your life.

Even when strained, a parent-child relationship should never cross the line to being hostile. Have you told him this is how you feel about what he's doing?

bobba
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2014, 6:34 pm

FireyInspiration wrote:
Have you told him this is how you feel about what he's doing?

Yes, but he gets even more angry.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 6:38 pm

FireyInspiration wrote:
Having your faults pointed out by others is a painful but necessary [art of growth

No, it isn't, it's cruel and abusive and there's no excuse for it. It's one thing to give pointers on how to better a situation, but quite another to tear someone down and make them feel worthless. There is no such thing as "Constructive Criticism," but there is such a thing as "Supportive Advice." Bobba is obviously getting the former, rather than the latter.

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

30 Mar 2014, 6:49 pm

Sounds like an ass. Unfortunately there are a lot of parents out there who think their kids are there to make them look good, no matter how old they get. I know its easier said than done but don't let him get to you. And unlike most, I have actually been there...

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 7:18 pm

Your father is a jerk. I'm sorry he can't treat you with love and respect.

Last edited by tall-p on 30 Mar 2014, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 7:48 pm

It's neither all right nor all wrong, but it is certainly unkind and unproductive. He may be doing it out of love and lack of a better way to go about helping. Whatever the reason, what's important is that he not be the only source of feedback you get about yourself. Are there others you can turn to who can provide more support? Friends, teachers, counselor? Another relative perhaps?

I would try to give him space if he is acting disgusted. You may feel angry and want to argue, but no one deserves to be hit. And it sounds like he might be on the edge of losing control of himself and hurting you, or at least losing control of what he says to you and how he says it. You don't deserve that!

JakeDay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2014, 9:26 am

Have you tried saying something like, "I know you're trying to help, but it ISN'T actually helping."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 9:31 am

Willard wrote:
FireyInspiration wrote:
Having your faults pointed out by others is a painful but necessary [art of growth

No, it isn't, it's cruel and abusive and there's no excuse for it. It's one thing to give pointers on how to better a situation, but quite another to tear someone down and make them feel worthless. There is no such thing as "Constructive Criticism," but there is such a thing as "Supportive Advice." Bobba is obviously getting the former, rather than the latter.

I agree with Willard on this one. It's very cruel and abusive. It's also very hurtful. It can make the person on the receiving end feel very anxious and unwanted. My mum was like that towards me until a year and a half ago.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 10:18 am

bobba wrote:
he has been throughout my life and still, pointing out my faults, he usually talks several minutes about my weaknesses, he says it with disgust in his eyes and voice, he sounds angry. almost as if he wants to beat me.

why does he do so? In fact, he actually has right about me, but it still makes me sad when he says it. I feel completely empty and useless.
I know the feeling. It's very difficult to deal with that. I wish that people would point out faults with love and care and sensitivity and even supportive and loving humor rather than with disgust and anger. That would make all the difference. It does for me. The first makes me encouraged to change, the second makes me bitter or frightened.

Wreck It Ralph

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2014, 12:19 pm

"faults" are a matter of opinion. nobody is god and has the right to inflict their opinions on someone else as if they were matters of fact. there are far more constructive ways to communicate concern, to love, and to support anyone. for instance, even in a case where one feels concerned enough to express certain doubts or observations, it's infinitely more loving to do it in the context of that person's strengths, not just constantly strip them down. i've been through it - it is definitely a form of abuse and i'm very sorry your sense of self and self-worth has been shaped in any way by such a person, especially a parent.

at least you have enough of yourself to question what you are being told and the way you are being told. i can tell you without reservation that he has no right to judge you or evaluate you. he is probably projecting his own low-self-worth and self doubts onto you. his evaluation of your character or actions may not even remotely reflect any kind of reality. but in any case, everyone's perceptions are necessarily subjective and distorted and cannot be taken as fact. information maybe, but not a matter of fact. so i wish you great strength, love, and unwavering purpose in examining the self-image he has created for you and learning to question all of it. it's a long road but every turning point is well worth the effort.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 1:17 pm

My father is much the same way as yours, bobba. Now, he genuinely cares for me, as is made evident by years of him bending over backwards to meet my needs and, when possible, fulfill my wants, and I've been told that he worries himself almost to tears over me, but his communication style can be rather aggressive (it's not just with me--he's verbally aggressive to most people he gets close enough to).

There's a rather angsty post about it in the Letter Unsent thread of the Haven (here) if anyone wants to read my thoughts on the matter at their most melodramatic. :lol:

I, a few family members, and even a therapist have pointed out to him that this style of communication is not terribly effective, especially with somebody as sensitive as I am, but change is difficult, especially for someone in his mid-sixties whose own father treated him harshly.

*sigh*

I cannot say whether either of our fathers are doing "right"; they both have good enough intentions, it seems (or at least that I can testify that mine does; I do not really know your father and can thus not speak for his intentions), but the way in which they carry out these intentions can be a bit cruel. Is it still abuse if the perpetrator does not intend to harm the victim?

I wish that I had some advice for you, but the only thing that I can say is try to see the good in him past the cruel, if you can, and distance yourself, if you need to. It may also help to find some song, artwork, or piece of literature that you find uplifting and have that at your disposal when you need to remind yourself that there's more than just your faults.

May you find peace in this situation, bobba and those in similar predicaments.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2014, 2:59 pm

WerewolfPoet wrote:
Is it still abuse if the perpetrator does not intend to harm the victim?

it's an interesting question. i would have to say, yes. is taking a life still murder? sex with the unconsenting still rape? so assault is still assault? blows are still battery? yes. so yes - still abuse. my ex-husband was/is a lot like this in our marriage and after. doesn't realize how his behavior/words feel like blows to my heart and soul - but they still do. Denial/minimizing the impact of our behavior doesn't change the nature of the behavior. Aggression is aggression no matter how you paint it or how good someone's intentions may be.

just my thoughts.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 5:44 pm

Opi wrote:
WerewolfPoet wrote:
Is it still abuse if the perpetrator does not intend to harm the victim?

it's an interesting question. i would have to say, yes. is taking a life still murder? sex with the unconsenting still rape? so assault is still assault? blows are still battery? yes. so yes - still abuse. my ex-husband was/is a lot like this in our marriage and after. doesn't realize how his behavior/words feel like blows to my heart and soul - but they still do. Denial/minimizing the impact of our behavior doesn't change the nature of the behavior. Aggression is aggression no matter how you paint it or how good someone's intentions may be.

just my thoughts.

YES! Unless it was accidental.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 10:01 pm

EMTkid wrote:
Sounds like an ass. Unfortunately there are a lot of parents out there who think their kids are there to make them look good, no matter how old they get. I know its easier said than done but don't let him get to you. And unlike most, I have actually been there...

Unlike most? s**t, I think a lot of us have been there, hahahaha. But I agree that we all eventually decide for ourselves what accomplishment is and what we want to do with our lives. We have to live our own lives after all and we don't exist merely to puff up our parent's egos. Yet of course on the other hand we should value and respect our parent's advice and criticism, however it comes. I don't think it's necessarily proper or pious to ask "is what my father does right" when you already agree that your father is right. If he is right then by all means you should grow up and work on your issues. If you just willfully ignore him he's obviously going to get to that point eventually and it's no one's fault but yours.

No offense OP, but if you came here just to be patronized then you'll never get past this with that attitude.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 10:04 pm

Opi wrote:
"faults" are a matter of opinion. nobody is god and has the right to inflict their opinions on someone else as if they were matters of fact. there are far more constructive ways to communicate concern, to love, and to support anyone. for instance, even in a case where one feels concerned enough to express certain doubts or observations, it's infinitely more loving to do it in the context of that person's strengths, not just constantly strip them down. i've been through it - it is definitely a form of abuse and i'm very sorry your sense of self and self-worth has been shaped in any way by such a person, especially a parent.

at least you have enough of yourself to question what you are being told and the way you are being told. i can tell you without reservation that he has no right to judge you or evaluate you. he is probably projecting his own low-self-worth and self doubts onto you. his evaluation of your character or actions may not even remotely reflect any kind of reality. but in any case, everyone's perceptions are necessarily subjective and distorted and cannot be taken as fact. information maybe, but not a matter of fact. so i wish you great strength, love, and unwavering purpose in examining the self-image he has created for you and learning to question all of it. it's a long road but every turning point is well worth the effort.

But there is of course such a thing as accountability and at least trying to follow a parent's advice, right? Beyond whether or not it is fair for someone's father to drag him/her down that person still has a duty to make an effort and to be held accountable.