Tinnitus (Ears Ringing) and Hypersensitivity

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Arcnarenth
Raven
Raven

02 Apr 2014, 2:42 am

I've read that increased sensitivity to auditory sensory information is pretty common with autistic individuals. Unless I'm somewhere that's extremely loud I've never felt particularly overwhelmed by auditory stimulation, though it does leave me a bit stressed and tired at times.

Something I've noticed recently is that in a quieter environment I hear a bit of a buzzing or ringing sound. The best way I can describe it is like when an amplifier or speaker is turned on and turned up to the point you can hear the hum of the faint noises the microphone is picking up. The clinical term for a ringing sensation in the ears is tinnitus.

Occasionally I'll have brief (A few seconds) episodes where I get tinnitus in one ear to the point that's all I hear, but the quiet "hum" I hear almost constantly, but it's "drowned out" by louder sounds so it doesn't affect my hearing acuity.

So, my question is, do any of you experience tinnitus and is it related to hypersensitive hearing in any regard? Could it be that I'm mentally processing this "hum" because my ears have a higher sensitivity similarly to how speakers output more of a hum when the gain level of a microphone is increased?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 2:50 am

Tinnitus and hyperacusis from acoustic trauma (powerful pistol indoors without protection on). Mine is just a loud ringing in both ears (left is a little worst).

I never had such before that, even when young.

I do have auditory processing problems though, which have been there since the beginning.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 6:24 am

I have a constant high pitched whine that I cannot get away from, I hate it, wish I could find quite EVER.

I am also hypersensitive to sounds but especially loud pounding bass. It smells like harsh smoke and taste sour

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 6:38 am

High pitched "beep" here, but it's weak. I can hear it, if I concentrate on it, but it is not really bothering. I would still welcome it, if there was a "cure" for it. It would be interesting/very nice having absolute silence. :o

I am also quite sensitive to sound.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 9:05 am

I never had much of a problem with tinnitus (except for an occasional whistling in my ears as a child). I now have a continual ringing ever since I was put on Viibryd. While I'm now off that junk, I still have the ringing. It's most noticeable at night, when I'm trying to sleep. My ENT put me on a supplement regimen, as well as recommended a white noise generator to mask the problem.

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2014, 9:30 am

I have tinnitus in both ears, although it's louder in the left than in the right. I'm pretty sure that in my case it's down to noise damage rather than AS though, as I spent twenty years playing in bands and going to gigs without wearing earplugs (so it's my own fault, I suppose).

To be honest, I've now become so used to it that I barely even notice it anymore, except in silent environments where there's no background noise to mask it out. I wouldn't want to get hyperacusis though - that sounds horrific. My friend Jason DiEmilio of the band Azusa Plane actually committed suicide because of it.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

02 Apr 2014, 9:31 am

I have it. It is pritty bad. A S&W .44 mag, air tools, and an industrial machine maintenance job did the most of it. There are some noises I cannot stand. When you are working though, it is something I get over for money. It comes out of need.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 11:41 am

In the last year this has become an issue. It can get pretty annoying at times. High pitched

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TaciturnPhantom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Apr 2014, 1:55 pm

I have tinnitus. Sometimes it's a high pitched whine in both ears. Other times, it's a low hum.

I am very sensitive to sounds, especially higher frequencies and loud sounds - which can create a lot of grief and pain and may lead to a meltdown.

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2014, 4:24 pm

I have bad constant tinnitus (more in left ear) +hyperacusis. Gets worse with lack of sleep/stress/alcohol/etc
It's horrible.
I believe it was caused by some allergies and stuff, and then enhanced by constant prolonged stress+anxiety ...

Liblady
Raven
Raven

02 Apr 2014, 4:32 pm

I have chronic high-pitched tinnitus in my left ear. However, it's almost certainly related more directly related to my Goldenhar Syndrome (hemifacial micromia) which affects my left side than ASD. My ASD, paresis of the left side of the face, refractive amblyopia of the left eye, and tinnitus are all probably aspects of the poor neurological wiring that accompanies my Goldenhar Syndrome.

mikie
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Apr 2014, 4:35 pm

i have had tinnitus for years. mine is a high pitched whine; i just ignore it most of the time.

AlexAl
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 May 2021, 10:34 am

I've been suffering from tinnitus for several years. Some days are worse than others, but I got used to it and in most cases, I don't pay attention to it.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2021, 12:14 am

I have tinnitus which I experience as a hissing in my ears.

There is a phenomenon known simply as " The Hum". Google it. Really interesting. I hear it a lot when the world is quiet. I think many people hear it and think it's tinnitus but the frequency is very different. To me it sounds exactly like a large (container sized) diesel generator running in the distance. A constant drone.

It would be interesting to know how many here experience "The Hum "

ApricitiousRory
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2021, 5:45 pm

I occasionally experience tinnitus, more in recent years than in the past. My hearing is still very sensitive, though my ability to hear some frequencies has declined with age. Still, none of my hearing is below the normal range, according to the audiologists.

AQ score: 36
Diagnosed May 2021: ASD Level 1, requiring support; and also Unspecified Anxiety Disorder

Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 2:33 am

I've got high-pitched tinnitus in both my ears and a low-pitch hum in my left ear. Listened to far too much music on headphones for far too long + medical side effects + pressure changes during a flight. I don't mind it. I just listen to music on low volume with my healthy right ear now, and that's fine with me. I knew the risks when I was younger so I've accepted it since it was my own choice to continue.