Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 8:29 pm

Sylvastor wrote:
I was actually imagining you putting your foot into your mouth as some sort of stim and offending someone that way at work - that was a very very very weird thought... I don't think I can be blamed for interpreting it literally. :lol:

Thanks for explaining that to me though, kraftiekortie and cannotthinkoff. :oops:

That is the same thing i thought. :lmao:

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 8:33 pm

sharkattack wrote:
Thanks I know everybody does it at some point.

I still hate doing it. :oops:

The last five or six times I tried to speak at a meeting at work, I managed to time it so that I would speak at exactly the same time as my boss's boss--as if I was trying to cut her off. Then I have been awkward in trying to apologize.

What can you do?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2020, 10:57 pm

Sadly, I can do this now and then. Other times I feel like I've done it when I may not have done.

I think of "Putting your foot in it" as the same as stepping in dog dirt... But in a sort of similar mental way to having down something stupid without realizing? Or with realizing afterwards when it is too late.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 6:11 am

Anyway... Nothing can be done about the past....

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 7:12 am

This thread is 6 years old, I think the OP has probably forgotten about it now.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 11:11 am

Joe90 wrote:
This thread is 6 years old, I think the OP has probably forgotten about it now.

Uhmm. Ok. Six years...

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 5:47 pm

sharkattack wrote:
I really offended somebody at work today I don't really want to get into it but this is an aspect of this conditions I really hate.

No point in over analyzing this incident the point is I have done it before and I know I will do it again no matter how hard I try.

I just needed to get that off my chest.

I know a lot of my recent posts are about how well things are going for me but the ASD is always there.

I do the same. I do it in many ways. Sometimes I think of something which sounds about right so I say it and find it means something else, or I think something is funny when it is not and worse still I find out it means something I did not quite intend it to mean and to me I took it at face value unaware if the hidden meanings to things...
And then the more I try to correct things the worst it gets so I don't bother and walk away.

Life can be lonely at times.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 5:49 pm

Oh dear. I did not realize that I have already replied to this thread! I told you I put my foot in it and I have done so before! "Grrr!"

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 5:54 pm

Following thread as I am positive to have much to add in the next few weeks and days
Our remote work schedule will be coming to an end this month
My dear god I can't imagine how much weirder I'm going to be at work now

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 5:59 pm

adromedanblackhole wrote:
Following thread as I am positive to have much to add in the next few weeks and days

You put your foot in your mouth too?

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 6:04 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

I am often saying the perfectly wrong things with co-workers
It is bound to happen

Example: On a Zoom chat, the leader had mentioned something about being fired up, to which multiple people responded they were fired up. I entered the fire emoji. Rather than it go to the group chat as a whole, it went to someone privately whereby coming across as COMPLETELY creepy and inappropriate. I just ignored it rather than explain. I will never be able to have a conversation with this person. Ever.

Wait, was that sarcasm? I feel like I have likely inadvertently put my foot in mouth on this site already only being here about 2 weeks.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 6:19 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

It is bound to happen

Example: On a Zoom chat, the leader had mentioned something about being fired up, to which multiple people responded they were fired up. I entered the fire emoji. Rather than it go to the group chat as a whole, it went to someone privately whereby coming across as COMPLETELY creepy and inappropriate. I just ignored it rather than explain. I will never be able to have a conversation with this person. Ever.

I have hit the wrong buttons, or due to slow internet I hit send and then send again and my messages end up being sent multiple times which makes the other person think I am being nasty to them... Or once I sent something delicate to a group chat when I thought it was just a PM etc. Many things like that. Things where I end up in bad books.
I once was trying to explain sin to someone who thought they were good and thought that because everyone does something it is ok for them to do it... So I tried to explain by saying that if someone goes 31mph in a 30 mph speed limit, they have broken the law in exactly the same was as someone who has gone 131 mph. It is all breaking the law if the law says you must not go over 30.
While I was saying this, I did not know that a lady had been very upset because she had just had a fine for speeding. I watched others type things like "Are you ok?" to this lady... I did not know. I left the site altogether. I loved that site and those people, but I really messed up.
It is things like that that happen... And when I do something bad I can't find words to explain, so I give up and walk away. I don't even try!

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 6:43 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

It is bound to happen

I have hit the wrong buttons, or due to slow internet I hit send and then send again and my messages end up being sent multiple times which makes the other person think I am being nasty to them... Or once I sent something delicate to a group chat when I thought it was just a PM etc. Many things like that. Things where I end up in bad books.
I once was trying to explain sin to someone who thought they were good and thought that because everyone does something it is ok for them to do it... So I tried to explain by saying that if someone goes 31mph in a 30 mph speed limit, they have broken the law in exactly the same was as someone who has gone 131 mph. It is all breaking the law if the law says you must not go over 30.
While I was saying this, I did not know that a lady had been very upset because she had just had a fine for speeding. I watched others type things like "Are you ok?" to this lady... I did not know. I left the site altogether. I loved that site and those people, but I really messed up.
It is things like that that happen... And when I do something bad I can't find words to explain, so I give up and walk away. I don't even try!

I was fortunate growing up to have a few different friend groups who just found my antics amusing so there was always someone to laugh with. I'm finding in adulthood many of these people's attitudes towards me has shifted to "my freaking god how are you still like this?!?!" Which frankly, I still find kind of funny.
I laugh at myself a lot. My life is one of the greatest comedies that keeps unfolding.

Also though, in terms of your example with speeding. Going over the speed limit by 1 mph is not legally treated the same way as going over the speed limit by 101 mph. The former would likely be disregarded by a police officer, the latter is gross negligence and would come with swifter punitive measures upwards of not only the ticket but potentially having a license suspended depending on other reckless behavior for public endangerment. In the eyes of the law this is not the same thing. And the woman who got upset, I don't know. You didn't do anything wrong but I can DEFINITELY see and relate to the feelings of awkwardness. I would just encourage you to laugh at yourself more. I often think of my day as an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 7:01 pm

I have many examples of putting my foot in it from a very early age onwards... Though as a very young child it is exected... But not as an adult. Part of the reason I put my foot in it is because I try to e amusing or funny but I don't really know what I am talking about. It is not that I have lived a sheltered life but kore because I have sheltered myself? My Mum said if I did not bury my head in trains so much I would have a better general knowledge. My general knowledge is not good. Not my strong point at all! Also my vocabulary is somewhat limited. I mean.. Well. A typical person my age has a much wider vocabulary and I am having to ask what words actually mean? I can certain use words but I can use them in "Appropiate ways" without knowing their actual meaning if that makes sense? I have been trying to stop myself doing this as it has got me in trouble because I can say words and phrazes I think are appropiate but they mean something different or can have hidden meanings...

I am intelligent though. Not ultra intelligent. Just slightly above average which surprizes even me because I meet people I know of low intelligence, and yet they have a greater graspmof words and know what they mean etc. I can communicate well though, except I keep steering conversations to trains, bicycles or cars or something I can relate to... :D

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 7:53 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I have many examples of putting my foot in it from a very early age onwards... Though as a very young child it is exected... But not as an adult. Part of the reason I put my foot in it is because I try to e amusing or funny but I don't really know what I am talking about. It is not that I have lived a sheltered life but kore because I have sheltered myself? My Mum said if I did not bury my head in trains so much I would have a better general knowledge. My general knowledge is not good. Not my strong point at all! Also my vocabulary is somewhat limited. I mean.. Well. A typical person my age has a much wider vocabulary and I am having to ask what words actually mean? I can certain use words but I can use them in "Appropiate ways" without knowing their actual meaning if that makes sense? I have been trying to stop myself doing this as it has got me in trouble because I can say words and phrazes I think are appropiate but they mean something different or can have hidden meanings...

I am intelligent though. Not ultra intelligent. Just slightly above average which surprizes even me because I meet people I know of low intelligence, and yet they have a greater graspmof words and know what they mean etc. I can communicate well though, except I keep steering conversations to trains, bicycles or cars or something I can relate to... :D

Best way to improve vocabulary:
Read books by professors from the highest level of academia with a handy dandy notebook and pen nearby. They will always throw out words you have never encountered before. When you stumble upon such a word, stop reading. Turn to your notebook and pen, write down the word, immediately write out the definition. Then write the word in a sentence that you make up on your own. Spend about an hour a day doing this. You are more likely to remember a new word when you discover it in context and then retain the word when you use it in your own unique sentence. Just a few new words a day, you'll find your vocabulary will greatly improve.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 8:25 pm

It does not exactly work with me. Been trying that since I was a child. I am supposed to be able to speak Welsh as well. No chance. It is like if I learn new words. I either forget them again (I will remember them for a few hours and then that's it. In school I would remember things for that lesson (If they were things I could not get my memory to latch onto as tney were outside of my special interest subjects) but the next lesson on another day... Well I puzzled teachers. A maths teacher said it was as if he had not taught me at all on the last lesson. He would have to go back and start from scratch again!

You see, that my mind works best in pictures be they still pictures or in film form. I can design things in my mind and build them.
The strange thing is I was not slow to learn to speak. If anything I was very early in my first three words... But they were copying and very clear and exactly pronounced. I remember them. I was said to be 6 to 8 months old. I did not know what the words meant. I did not learn to speak properly until I guess I was normal age because when I said those three words, I remember my Dad going buzzurk and raising his voice in excitement. I thought I had done something wrong and so I said nothing at all after that until about normal age for speaking? But though I had no issues with speech, I would not speak much at all in school until about seven years old when I had to as if I did not speak I was going to be taken to a special school. From then on I made an effort to speak if a teacher spoke to me. But I was still very shy and reserved.

But somehow... Well. When I was about 12 years old an English teacher complained that I wasn't reading enough books as I had a poor vocabluary, but like my Mum said. I was reading for several hours a day at the time. My Mum had a job to get me to sleep because I was reading. It did not improve my vocabluary. It just meant I lacked sleep, as I would ignore words I did not know, because I knew that I could not retain them so easily if I did learn what they mean.

Some words did eventually stick. When I was 13 in Science we did sex education. I did not have a clue and I was gullablw. One kid said he wated to ask Miss for a practical but he asked me to ask her. I dis and got told off. I did not know what the word "Practical" actually meant. I thought it was a word to do with Science. Complicated words and me did not do well together.
The really great thing is that people speaking other languages who are trying to learn to speak English find me very easy to talk to because of the simple words I use.

One thing I do notice. If I do learn a new word, another less used word I will forget. I tend to loose more words in this way...

My Mother. You may have heard me say that if I am on the spectrum then she is and her Mum was as well. (Her Mum was a nurvous character. Always giving but she was kind of always anxious inside? She used to do later in life what I now know is "Verbal stimming").
My Mum though... Unlike me her special interest is English and she can also pick up other Western languages if she needs to. Language is really her thing. She could read and write when she was two and a half and by the age of six, she had read about half the books in the local library which one of her aunts ran. She really was exceptionally advanced but also her Mother had endless patience to teach her.
My Mother thinks in word form. She does Maths in word form. I do sums in picture form. I have to picture formations of dots so I can "Grasp" the patterns of dots to do maths. It is why I could never show my workings out to my Maths teachers!