Can Those On The Spectrum Do "Live Chat" Online?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Can You Do Live Chat?
Yes 86%  86%  [ 12 ]
No 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 1:20 pm

Someone mentioned that those on the spectrum can't do live chat on online sites. Is this true? I am ok on live chat sites.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 1:23 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Someone mentioned that those on the spectrum can't do live chat on online sites. Is this true? I am ok on live chat sites.

I don't see any reason why not?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 1:32 pm

Maybe alittle slow on live chat , but can do pretty well if am not stressed.

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 1:38 pm

I do find if many are talking I end up talking to myself on live chat sites and everyone puzzles what I am on about... As they quickly will move on to other topics when I am still answering a topic in detail which happens to be several topics ago... :D

But other then that I am ok.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 1:38 pm

What is live chat?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 1:44 pm

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
What is live chat?

Means chatting on a chat site as opposed to a forum like this. As chat sites are considered live chat, what is dead chat? :P

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 2:04 pm

If they're able to have conversations they can probably do chat.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 2:13 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
What is live chat?

Means chatting on a chat site as opposed to a forum like this. As chat sites are considered live chat, what is dead chat? :P

So does that mean it's with more people taking all at once, and everything happens really fast? I think a saw a live stream on YouTube once where they were doing something like that. It seemed really hard to keep up with. For me it would be overwhelming, but I'm sure there are NTs who would find it that way too, and there are people ASDers that could handle it.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 2:26 pm

I can't do live chats. I think they're awful. You show up and there's all these conversations already going, I have no idea what's going on or who's talking to who. The little lines of chat keep showing up and I can't keep up. I have no idea what's going on in those places. I avoid them like the plague.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 3:17 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
What is live chat?

So does that mean it's with more people taking all at once, and everything happens really fast? I think a saw a live stream on YouTube once where they were doing something like that. It seemed really hard to keep up with. For me it would be overwhelming, but I'm sure there are NTs who would find it that way too, and there are people ASDers that could handle it.

Even I can't do fast moving live chats! I can do slower ones though.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 3:21 pm

I mean technically it depends.

I screw up socially on discord.

But I could chat on for eg my family zoom.

Cos it doesn't matter if I screw up socially on there. They'll forgive me.

People on discord always want to catch someone out or make someone look bad in my experience. The person who "admitted they're autistic" (what's with that wording btw) becomes prime target.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 3:36 pm

If I'm in a large group, especially if the majority in said group are NTs or super chatty-type Autistics, then I'm usually barely able to get a word in, in person or online.

#palestinianlivesmatter

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 3:59 pm

The reason why I asked is that when the person told me that those on the spectrum are not able to do live chat, I thought "Oh. Maybe I am not on the spectrum". But then I am back to not making sense of things again.
I just don't know what I think and where I stand as things are becoming confusing!

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 4:02 pm

^ The person who told you that obviously doesn't understand that everyone is affected differently. Be wary of such generalizations, particularly ones made about very specific concepts. :)

I think another thing for me would be that I tend to be better at observing. KT mentioned chats with family, and that brought to mind how I often can't think of things to say (and when it's people you know you're expected to participate).

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 4:14 pm

^ The person who told you that obviously doesn't understand that everyone is affected differently. Be wary of such generalizations, particularly ones made about very specific concepts. :)

Agreed. We're a diverse bunch. What some of us might do easily, others might struggle with. There isn't any one size fits all thing for us as a whole. Heh. Hey, maybe that's our one size fits all, the fact that there isn't one. :lol:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 4:15 pm

Those that can can. Those that can't can't.