Did any of you have trouble with being potty trained?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 5:17 pm

I remember being afraid of wetting myself when I was a toddler and little girl after being potty trained. It was something that bothered me until I got used to it. Did any of you have anxiety or problems with being potty trained?

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 5:33 pm

I'd have to say that I did have some issues with being potty trained and using the toilet up until a certain age. Any other details will remain private though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 5:38 pm

When I was 2 1/2, my mother stuck me on the toilet and said, in essence, "I'm tired of changing your diapers; now you must go ***** here." Apparently, I never had an accident after that.

I was non-verbal, Kannerly autistic then. This was circa 1963.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 5:39 pm

My mom had a hard time potty training me because I thought I was supposed to go in my pants. I can see why I would think that and I was probably confused by my mom putting me on the chair with a bucket under it without a diaper on and my pants off and having me sit there.
But then when i did figure it out and was finally toilet trained, I hated wetting my pants and I was scared of big toilets. I remember wetting my pants at daycare because they wouldn't let me use the potty. They wanted me to use the big toilets. They would just put different pants on me and bag up the wet ones. I should have just gone in the corner or something but never thought of it. That is what anyone would do if they were denied the right to use the bathroom or there wasn't one around for them to go. My mom once thought about pulling down her pants at a gas station and pooping on their floor because she had to go so bad but what stopped her from doing it was she didn't want to get arrested and this happened in Scotland. She even offered to give them some money to use their restroom and they wouldn't let her because she wasn't a customer and they didn't care how bad she had to go. But the next place was nice to let her use it and she had an accident but got the rest in the toilet.
It also took me a while to get comfortable using the toilets and I was about four when I used them without a problem. I haven't wet my pants since I was five when I was playing with my dolls and all of a sudden I felt the strong urge to go so I raced to the bathroom and didn't make it. I cried and got changed. I don't remember having anymore accidents after that unless I laughed too hard.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

16 Apr 2014, 5:52 pm

I believe I learned pretty late but I dunno that's what my mom says, I don't remember.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 6:21 pm

Nope, no problems whatsoever. I never liked being dirty, dusty, smelly or sweaty, much less carrying around an uncomfortable lump in the seat of my pants. :eew:

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 6:22 pm

I was almost age 5 when being potty-trained,
in kindergarden I was allowed to wear diapers,
but I have no memory about it at all.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 6:24 pm

I don't actually know but I did wet myself for many years. At least until I was five. But like Willard I have always had that OCD clean thing so I was probably an easy potty student.

Wreck It Ralph

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 7:04 pm

i wasn't able to poop in the toilet by myself until i was about 10. i was always messing my pants. and i couldn't clean up by myself until i was 14-15

for some reason, mama always knew when i needed to poop. she would have to tell me to get on the potty. otherwise i would end up pooping my pants.

MarcelloP
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Apr 2014, 7:08 pm

I don't think I had any trouble going to the bathroom, but I remember wearing diapers at night time when most kids didn't. I was probably 3 or 4 at the time and I had a serious bed-wetting issue.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 7:08 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
i wasn't able to poop in the toilet by myself until i was about 10. i was always messing my pants. and i couldn't clean up by myself until i was 14-15

for some reason, mama always knew when i needed to poop. she would have to tell me to get on the potty. otherwise i would end up pooping my pants.
Did you not understand that you had to be on the toilet or were you unable to recognize when your bowels were contracting?

Wreck It Ralph

Minionkitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2014, 7:11 pm

I think I was around 11/2 or 2 when I was potty trained. I didn't have much of a problem with it, if I remember correctly. I was kind of early to do that and to talk (before I was 1).

ASD/Asperger's Syndrome traits; diagnosed August 2014
IQ 120
(Diagnosed using the DSM-IV, not DSM-5)

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 7:43 pm

skibum wrote:
Did you not understand that you had to be on the toilet or were you unable to recognize when your bowels were contracting?

the part i bolded. i knew i had to poop in the toilet, i just didn't know when to poop.

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2014, 10:24 pm

Yeah,I did. wasn't until i was four.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 11:25 pm

I didn't have a hard time learning to use the toilet, but I was terrified by flushing and any toilets that looked markedly different from our toilet at home (especially stainless steel ones, and auto flush ones were the worst). This meant that I wore pull ups longer than most kids because I often refused to use loud toilets or sometimes even go into certain bathrooms if the flushing was too loud. Even when I was older, I would often not flush or if they were auto flush I would just find the drain hole in the bathroom floor and go over it instead of in the toilet, ears covered the whole time. This wasn't fully resolved until I was in middle school, so my mom sometimes jokes that I wasn't fully potty trained until I was 13.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 11:29 pm

my parents said it was a really hard transition from diapers to toilets. i cant even remember anything about, i think i blocked it out because of how traumatic it was for me

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com