Getting a bit sick of the Pro-Marijuana culture...

Page 1 of 13 [ 197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2014, 4:54 pm

Sorry if this does not correspond with the current cultural trend at the moment but I am getting slightly tiresome of the whole pro-marijuana culture that is building up at the moment in which it seems like anyone who is against marijuana or has some sort of problem with the plant is a complete idiot who ought to be shot into space or live on an island on their own(although I would not mind that). Of course, marijuana has many benefits and has been known to kill cancer cells(though whether or not they kill enough to actually have any real consequence I would say is still debatable) and also helps people with anxiety, Alzheimer and Arthritis. I recognize that it is of benefit to people as a form of medication as well as a recreational tool but what I do not like is the fact that it is made out to be some utopian wonder-drug that has no disadvantages to it whatsoever and anyone who dares to question it as a drug, is a complete moron. Yes, alcohol can be a very anti-social drug but it can also be extremely positive and absolutely fine when used in moderation. Sorry to go on such a rant, just feel like I need to get it out of my system. Does anybody feel like this or am I completely on my own on this issue? Perhaps this also has something to do with the fact that I do not like reggae music and hate Bob Marley's music... :lol:

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 4:59 pm

Oh I have been slaughtered on the internet for that one...being against drug use. I have a dislike of it for several reasons.

1 The behaviour of the drug users I have encountered has been scary and rather upsetting.

2 I tried cannabis when I was a teenager and it gave me a horrible panic attack. I would not touch the stuff again after that and don't want to be around anyone who is using it. I really could do without that nasty stuff in my system.

3 I don't agree drugs are the solution to whatever they are being used as a solution for (there may be one or two exceptions such as pain relief for terminally ill patients).

You are not on your own but be careful of mentioning it. I upset a bunch of drug users by pointing out I'd prefer a partner that did not use drugs on a social networking site and they launched a full out attack on me. I was called every name under the sun and had slanderous messages posted about me following the attack.

If they want people to think drug use is ok, they could try acting a little more responsibly.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 5:02 pm

Ps I don't listen to reggae music or Bob Marley either.

I prefer:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH-z6wXqB-s[/youtube]
[Mod. edit: Please note - YouTube video embedding will not work when the URL starts with "https" (this is also true for image embedding).
The URL has been edited from "https" to "http" so that the video is now embedded in the post]

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2014, 5:04 pm

bumble wrote:
Oh I have been slaughtered on the internet for that one...being against drug use. I have a dislike of it for several reasons.

1 The behaviour of the drug users I have encountered has been scary and rather upsetting.

2 I tried cannabis when I was a teenager and it gave me a horrible panic attack. I would not touch the stuff again after that and don't want to be around anyone who is using it. I really could do without that nasty stuff in my system.

3 I don't agree drugs are the solution to whatever they are being used as a solution for (there may be one or two exceptions such as pain relief for terminally ill patients).

You are not on your own but be careful of mentioning it. I upset a bunch of drug users by pointing out I'd prefer a partner that did not use drugs on a social networking site and they launched a full out attack on me. I was called every name under the sun and had slanderous messages posted about me following the attack.

If they want people to think drug use is ok, they could try acting a little more responsibly.

That is absolutely awful that you should be attacked so vehemently for expressing your opinion about something that is clearly not as black and white as many people deem it to be. It is very strange how defensive people who use drugs become whenever they are scrutinized by those who are critical of it. Cannabis, it seems, has almost become like an orthodox religion in which no-one must dare be critical of such a sacred plant- almost like a cult. I find it ironic that those who appear to be anti-authority are often most sheepish in their thinking.

I agree, I used to smoke it alot and now it gives me the most horrendous panic attacks in which my heart starts racing, my thoughts become very paranoid and I struggle to integrate socially. It is a horrible drug for myself. Yes, using drugs on a social networking site can be dangerous as I believe the police are checking social networking sites more to prosecute people for evidence of illegal behaviour.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2014, 5:05 pm

bumble wrote:
Ps I don't listen to reggae music or Bob Marley either.

I prefer: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH-z6wXqB-s[/youtube]

That is beautiful, going to have to try and find the time in my day to listen to it all :)

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Apr 2014, 5:07 pm

fibonaccispiral777 wrote:
What I do not like is the fact that it is made out to be some utopian wonder-drug that has no disadvantages to it whatsoever and anyone who dares to question it as a drug, is a complete moron.

Agreed.

It isn't a wonder drug.

It isn't free of disadvantages.

It's probably no more dangerous than various drugs that are already legal and widely available, and the War on Drugs is grossly ineffective and needlessly criminalises and endangers thousands, but cannabis isn't sliced bread.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
fibonaccispiral777 wrote:
What I do not like is the fact that it is made out to be some utopian wonder-drug that has no disadvantages to it whatsoever and anyone who dares to question it as a drug, is a complete moron.

Agreed.

It isn't a wonder drug.

It isn't free of disadvantages.

It's probably no more dangerous than various drugs that are already legal and widely available, and the War on Drugs is grossly ineffective and needlessly criminalises and endangers thousands, but cannabis isn't sliced bread.

Thank you.
Yes, I completely agree. It needs to legalized as soon as possible and, as you say, the war on drugs has cost the tax-payer millions of pounds to criminalize people that were either of no threat to society or needed therapeutic treatment. That, I would say, need not be in dispute, however it is the constant glorification of it as if there were no negatives associated with it that is irritating. Many people I have known who have smoked cannabis, their intellect seems rather dulled and desensitized.

ouroborosUK
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2014, 5:27 pm

I globally agree with your position, and if anybody calls you a bigot, they probably are the real bigot.

I support limited and responsible use of alcohol, cannabis, psychedelics, and almost any drug as long as "responsible use" is an option. (I don't really want to put tobacco in that category too, because contrary to the drugs I mentioned, almost all tobacco users I know are sorry they started, experience very limited positive effects, and wish they could stop.) But I saw enough persons who had their life ruined by alcohol and/or weed not to take this statement lightly. "Responsible use" is something specific to one person and one substance, and many persons fool themselves into thinking they are in control of their drug while it is the other way around.

What I find deeply unfair is that some drugs like tobacco and alcohol are legal although they have a huge addiction potential and health impact, although others like psychedelics are illegal though they are completely non-addictive and globally physically innocuous. Drug policies are based on political agendas, economic pressures and the general public's fantasies, not on serious scientific research and public health goals.

A bit obsessed with vocabulary, semantics and using the right words. Sorry if it is a concern. It's the way I think, I am not hair-splitting or attacking you.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 5:32 pm

I'm also sorry you were attacked on the social networking site, and it sounds like the people engaged in the additional bullying behavior of piling on, which is not so cool at all. And it sounds like no one had the heart and skills and human solidarity to defend you, and that's a real lost. Someone could have jumped in there and simply said, Hey, if the lady prefers a partner who doesn't take drugs, that's what free choice is all about.

============

Now, I do support ending the war on drugs. Marijuana is still against the law in most parts of the country, and people are still being arrested and presumably facing prison time. And I want to see this change.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 5:47 pm

I don't have an issue with MJ itself, gods know I smoked acres of it in my youth and had a grand old time doing it. I don't have a social circle these days, so there's no access to it, but I'd certainly be grateful to have it available to me as an anxiety med, though you can't use it and drive anywhere.

That said, after all these years that it has taken the American public to come around to understanding that it is not the dangerous narcotic that their government led them to believe that it was, I thought it would actually be a great thing when it was finally decriminalized. Now that such a thing seems more imminent than it has since the 1960s, I have mixed emotions about seeing the prohibition end.

On the one hand, marijuana is physically and mentally harmless, and there's no doubt about that. I did my share of judicious experimenting over the years and there are far more toxic and harmful consciousness-altering things, chemically speaking, that one could ingest recreationally, not the least of which is alcohol.

On the other hand, I fear that it is being intentionally used as a political tool, at a time when we have a generation of young adults more materialistically spoiled, more socially complacent and more politically ignorant than this nation has ever seen before. A generation that neither fully understands nor values the liberties guaranteed to them by the United States' unique Constitution, and who are oblivious to the current undermining of that entire system by elitists quite literally intent on enslaving them.

I think it's happening at this particular time, not because the public is demanding it - the media is telling the public that they're demanding it - frankly, if the pot smoking public had had the motivation to get off the couch and demand it, it probably would have happened decades ago - rather, it's being pushed now as a tool to keep the masses dulled and unconcerned and non-resistant as the last of their freedoms are removed.

And that is not something to be celebrated.

Last edited by Willard on 08 Apr 2014, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 5:47 pm

And like with tobacco, I wish people who smoke marijuana would make the initial assumption that someone else probably does object to second-hand smoke. Until and unless the person says, that's fine, you can smoke (wherever) I don't mind.

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 6:03 pm

I'm against drug abuse and recreational use of drugs.

"Pro" movements are blind, including "Pro-Marijuana". They coerce, lie and manipulate information to make others accept their belief.

DukeJanTheGrey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2014, 6:12 pm

If you are against or dislike drug use, dislike cannabis then simply choose not to take it. What other people choose to put into there body is of no concern of yours and you have absolutely no right to attempt to dictate what they do. Blaming drugs on drug users behaviour is taking responsibility away from the drug user and putting it on the drug. a drug can not possibly care about what is socially acceptable and what isn't. The real problem is the lack of education and lack of self responsibility. There are a lot of stupid, reckless people out there and even if drugs did not even exist they would still engage in stupid and reckless behaviour. The problem is people, not drugs.

I am in favour of legalisation of drugs. For one it will take the manufacture and distribution away from criminal gangs. The industry would be regulated so chemicals would be not be adulterated with other unspecified and equally dangerous chemicals (the known carcinogen phenacetin is often used to bulk up cocaine but your dealers is not going to tell you that your putting that up your hooter) Drug use would become less of a taboo subject, people would be more open about there drug use and thus more likely to seek help as they no longer have to disclose that they are breaking the law. Think of the tax benefits, think off all the scientific work that could go into understanding how drugs and the mind works if universities had greater freedom to investigate these mind altering substances, think of all the possible medicinal benefits. One thing i would not do is advise or encourage people to do drugs, that job should be left to the medical profession.

I am all about freedom and responsibility of the individual, education and harm reduction. And for the record i can not stand cannabis (but i do like Jamaican Dub and Ska music), i hate smoking in general, hate the smell of it and when i have taken it in the past it done nothing but made me ill. Funnily enough the chemicals that i do use recreationally happen to be legal to posses where i live and i would consider them (using media speak) a damn sight "harder" than cannabis.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 6:35 pm

I am certainly pretty pro-marijuana, but I don't have a problem with people who don't like it and don't want to use it....I am more bothered if someone is pushy about it. My opinion is if you don't like it no one is forcing you to ingest it, but I don't feel like it should be a crime for me and others who do enjoy it or benefit from it to use it. Its no worse than having a couple beers when you're chilling with friends/family or whatever. I think it does have a crap load of medicinal uses and hemp could be used for a number of things such as packaging for products, paper ect as it is a very renewable resource and hemp seeds even have healthy benefits. But that is not to say there are no possible disadvantages, side effects or bad reactions to cannabis it is a drug so of course there are risks but they are fairly minimal compared to a lot of other drugs.

Someone isn't a moron if they question how useful marijuana really is and things like that....I find it sad that some pro-cannabis people take on such a hateful view of anyone who questions it or simply doesn't like it themselves. But at the same time there is plenty of anti-marijuana stuff in the media that tries to make marijuana users look bad. Also while I like some reaggae and bob marley, its certainly not my first choice in music I am more into metal and psychdelic rock its stupid if someone would have a problem with someone just because they don't fit some stereotypical stoner stereotype.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 7:41 pm

I'm in Colorado where it's been officially legalized... and on a college campus... yeah. My philosophy class recently had a discussion on the merits and detriments of the legalization, and pretty much everyone in class was a strong proponent for it, they loved having access to it, but the way they described the reasons they were glad of it -- e.g partying and getting high -- made me kind of wonder how they wound up in the higher education system. I have to admit, save for instances in which they're being used as pain relievers, I find the notion of taking any sort of drugs, even alcohol, to be kind of silly and short-sighted, because not many people my age know how to use such things "responsibly." I don't know how many stories I've heard from one of my friends who loves to party that involve her getting blackout drunk and being seriously hung over the next day.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 7:44 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
I'm in Colorado where it's been officially legalized... and on a college campus... yeah. My philosophy class recently had a discussion on the merits and detriments of the legalization, and pretty much everyone in class was a strong proponent for it, they loved having access to it, but the way they described the reasons they were glad of it -- e.g partying and getting high -- made me kind of wonder how they wound up in the higher education system. I have to admit, save for instances in which they're being used as pain relievers, I find the notion of taking any sort of drugs, even alcohol, to be kind of silly and short-sighted, because not many people my age know how to use such things "responsibly." I don't know how many stories I've heard from one of my friends who loves to party that involve her getting blackout drunk and being seriously hung over the next day.

I dont know where you have been the last 10 years but the entire college culture is about partying and getting high, its basically become the extend high school another 4 years to party and get high these days