What to put in a short sermon about Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 6:58 pm

On Palm Sunday, I'm giving a mini-sermon in my church about Autism Awareness. I have to write it, but I need help with what to put in.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 7:00 pm

That people are all different and God loves everyone, no matter what.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 7:07 pm

Please share that many of us have sensory issues,

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 7:20 pm

I have to say, you are one impressive kid! And I'm not just talking about this.

Well, I would try to remind them that people with disabilities may look like they "can't do" or "don't care," but in reality there are people under there that can do and do care. A little bit of understanding can go a long way and end up in them finding a friend or an employee of great value.

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 8:49 pm

Some links to papers :P

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 8:53 pm

neobluex wrote:
Some links to papers :P

...it's spoken...

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 9:25 pm

#go over the whole spectrum,from those who dont even fit a diagnosis but have some autistic traits, to mildly,moderately,severely and profoundly autistic.
#tell them that the severities of autism are spectrums within autism as presentations of it differ greatly and there is no one size fits all mould to represent us all.
#tell them just because someone might have the label of mild autism doesnt mean they dont have impairments that create barriers in life and just because someone has severe or profound autism it doesnt mean we suffer,have horrible lives and need a cure invented.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 9:43 pm

Hmm... these are mostly NTs, right? Give them some practical advice about how to interact with autistics, from the socially clumsy ones who prefer to be told things exactly because hints will fly over their heads, to the non-verbal kids who would really, really prefer not to be touched or yelled at. The first few times they interact with an obviously autistic person, they'll probably feel awkward, but that's okay--the autistics feel awkward, too, and once they get to know each other it'll be easier.

And anyway, interacting with someone who's different is easier than you'd think--if you treat autistic people with respect and decency, if you care what they're feeling and thinking, then you'll have no trouble figuring the rest out.

A big part of why people go to church is because it's a community of those with similar beliefs; with that in mind, being able to communicate with all your fellow church members, including the autistic ones, is definitely a bonus. :) After all, God made autistic people too, and he loves us just as much as anyone else.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 5:32 pm

Asperger96 wrote:
On Palm Sunday, I'm giving a mini-sermon in my church about Autism Awareness. I have to write it, but I need help with what to put in.

As this is going to be part of a church service, I suggest that you speak to the minister/pastor about the service as a whole - the readings, the hymns and the over-arching theological focus of the service. That will give you a starting point, and if the congregation integrate what you have to say into the overall message they leave church with, then they will remember and understand your points much better.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 9:51 am

Here's what I got

From the book of John, chapter nine: As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.

April is Autism Awareness and Acceptance Month, a time for acknowledging the struggles, gifts, and challenges to people with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
As diagnosis' rates rise, so does public awareness of Autism. There have been many treatments, from beneficial speech therapies and social programs dedicated to helping young adults with autism transition into the working world. On the other hand, there have been not-so-sucessfull treatments. Children wired up to electric shock therapy, even a child who died when some people tried to exorcise the autism out of them.

According to USA Today and an FBI estimate, hate crimes against people with developmental disabilities have risen 94%in the past few years , but fortunately in the past decade the quality of living for Autistic Adults has risen as they are starting to be given the same oppurtunities to suceed. And parents of Autistics children have stopped believing the myth that "bad parenting" caused autism, and many of these parents have defended and stood up for their children, refusing to let their children be defeated by the obstacles placed before them.

But the struggles continue, as every year countless autistic children pass the threshold into adulthood, and into the ominous "real world" that every teenager on earth dreads. And many are unable to find employment. Though not always because of a lack of abilities. Many employers, even those outside the service-oriented careers, are relying more and more on "soft skills". Autistic adults with great potential are passed over for people who simply have the social skills to make a good first impression. Autistics might not dress or act the same, because many have sensory issues. Senses are heightened, and what others can brush off as minor annoyances, Autistic people find unbearable. Many cannot simply focus on what one person is saying when dozens are chatting nearby, and this holds true for the entirety of the spectrum.

The last important things: presume intelligence. just because someone looks disabled, do not assume they are unintelligent. And the final thing: because an autistic person is verbal and high-functioning, don't assume that they don't face unique problems in everyday life.

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 10:07 am

Why on Palm Sunday? That' is a special day in a Christian Church. I would think such a sermon would have to wait until after Pentecost. Rough job you got there.

Don't know if you are Catholic, but I after finding out about Asperger's, I have wondered if Saint Francis of Assisi was an Aspie, for example, how he was able to get to get the wolf to stop attacking the livestock of the area.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 11:04 am

michael517 wrote:
Why on Palm Sunday? That' is a special day in a Christian Church. I would think such a sermon would have to wait until after Pentecost. Rough job you got there.

Don't know if you are Catholic, but I after finding out about Asperger's, I have wondered if Saint Francis of Assisi was an Aspie, for example, how he was able to get to get the wolf to stop attacking the livestock of the area.

I'm not Catholic

And it's not actually a sermon, its a short speech before the sermon.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 11:10 am

michael517 wrote:

I bet he was an animal behaviorist, whatever else he was. All those stories about him give him a really uncanny knack for understanding animal behavior, and some of them aren't far-fetched at all.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 8:42 pm

Update: I did the speech today. It was great :)