Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2014, 10:24 am

I am a person with aspergers, and I have gradually become aware of the "autism pride" movement.

Basically, I have heard people saying " I am proud to have a child with autism" or " I am proud to be autistic" It seems there is a sub group of autistics who are almost like autistic nationalists/seperatists ( not really but almost! :lol: )

I may be alone, but I am not sure I even agree with that philsophy. Shouldn't one be proud of what one does, how one behaves, or what one accomplishes rather than based on what you are? I mean in a sense, it is almost like being proud of having blonde hair, or having a size 34 waiste....

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 10:28 am

I agree with what you stated.

"Autism Pride," however, is not bad in and of itself. It extols the accomplishments of people with autism, despite overwhelming odds. As long as it doesn't lead to a "separatist" feeling among people with autism vis-à-vis "neurotypicals." It would limit the scope of people with autism and "neurotypicals" simultaneously. One would not learn from the other. One would be stuck in an ignorant chrysalis, with no butterfly wings to propel them.

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2014, 10:36 am

I agree. I dont even like the word "neurotypical" implying that aspies are like a seperate persecuted, but superior race ( like xmen lol!!)

I just feel there is quite a bit of overlap sometimes, and the differences between NTS, and ASDS aren't always as severe as there made out to be. We are not all living versions Of Dr. Spock for goodness sake....

I think it would be kind of funny if there ever became a drive for an "autistic homeland"... :P

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 10:44 am

A land with only autistic people would not last long, unfortunately.

Aspies/Auties tend to be persecuted by ignorant, asinine NT's--but that shouldn't deter the autistic person, one bit, from relating with NT's on a personal level; they should not blame the totality of the species for the sins of a few. NT's, correspondingly, should do the same for people on the Spectrum.

Daydreamer86
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Apr 2014, 10:51 am

I'm not a fan of that attitude either. I belong to a lot of Aspergers groups on Facebook and, every day, there's usually at least one post talking about how boring neurotypical people are and how the post author considers themselves to be far superior to neurotypicals because of their special talents that Aspergers has given them. These posts tend to make me feel rubbish because I don't have any special talents-I am just a 27 year old woman of average intelligence who has Aspergers Syndrome. While I understand, to an extent, why the "pride" movement came around (so many of us have been and, in a lot of cases continue to be, victimised for our Asperger traits and it's natural to want to turn this around) but, to me, what works is educating people calmly, not ranting about how stupid neurotypical people are. I have, in the past, expressed these views to people with Aspergers when I have seen these rants (one of them was an acquaintance at an autism social group at university who posted online that the world owes him because he is of far higher intelligence than the majority of people and is thus superior and the other was a woman on a Facebook group who posted about how she hated her neurotypical husband). The person who I knew ignored me-the other woman started ranting at me but did apologise after I explained fully my position and she had calmed down.

My blog on life with Aspergers.

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 11:59 am

I don't understand the concept of being 'proud' of something you didn't choose, or work for.

That doesn't mean I think people should be ashamed of their autism (or any other condition, or skin colour, sexuality, gender identity, etc.), that they should feel negatively about it or as though they have to hide it, so I suppose it might be quite a positive thing, it's just that 'pride' doesn't seem that relevant to me. :s Unless it's supposed to be about recognising that people on the spectrum can live fulfilling lives and achieve good things? In which case the pride aspect might be about that, I don't know, maybe that then doesn't have much to do with autism...

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 12:03 pm

I don't mind Aspie pride, in fact I think it is often a good thing. However when it involves grouping of all individuals into two groups of ASD and NT (with superiority intertwined), i.e. the 'Neurotypical's are stupid' example posted above, then it's a horrible thing.

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2014, 12:43 pm

Norny wrote:
I don't mind Aspie pride, in fact I think it is often a good thing. However when it involves grouping of all individuals into two groups of ASD and NT (with superiority intertwined), i.e. the 'Neurotypical's are stupid' example posted above, then it's a horrible thing.

Im almost certain that the "NTS are stupid" or "AS gives me so many great talents etc." Is probably overcompensation for not having a fulfilling life, or being that pleasent of a person.. :oops:

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 1:32 pm

Aspertastic424 wrote:
I may be alone, but I am not sure I even agree with that philsophy. Shouldn't one be proud of what one does, how one behaves, or what one accomplishes rather than based on what you are? I mean in a sense, it is almost like being proud of having blonde hair, or having a size 34 waiste....
Think of it as being a little like "black pride" or "gay pride", for example. "Autism pride" doesn't mean you think you are better than anybody else; it means that you like and accept yourself and aren't ashamed to be who you are. It's a declaration of equality, a statement that you are an acceptable human being and that your autism is a part of you that should not need to be hidden, ignored, or "overcome"--because it is not shameful, but a legitimate way to be.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 2:02 pm

Aspertastic424 wrote:
Norny wrote:

Im almost certain that the "NTS are stupid" or "AS gives me so many great talents etc." Is probably overcompensation for not having a fulfilling life, or being that pleasent of a person.. :oops:

I am sure that it would be overcompensation in some cases, though there are points where I feel individuals go too far and that's when I tend to become frustrated, not knowing how to deal with it other than to be very negative about it.

The 'AS gives me so many great talents' is a mantra that in itself is perfectly fine to have IMO, as long as it doesn't lead to self delusion and the pattern of thinking that NTs are a whole that must be the opposite and/or lack in those qualities as a result of not being individuals with ASDs.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 2:04 pm

I don't mind Aspie pride once I get to wear the thong and slide around the poll on the big float. :oops:

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 3:31 pm

Callista wrote:
Aspertastic424 wrote:
it means that you like and accept yourself and aren't ashamed to be who you are. It's a declaration of equality, a statement that you are an acceptable human being and that your autism is a part of you that should not need to be hidden, ignored, or "overcome"--because it is not shameful, but a legitimate way to be.

^^ This, precisely. It's a refusal to be marginalized and railroaded - or ignored - because of a disability.

Aspertastic424 wrote:
Im almost certain that the "NTS are stupid" Is probably overcompensation for not having a fulfilling life, or being that pleasent of a person.. :oops:

No, it isn't. It's a simple statement of fact. Dimwits outnumber people with intelligence and reason by thousands to one. Add to that the fact that many of those all-too-common idiots are compelled to bully and ostracize those they perceive as more knowledgeable than themselves out of feelings of inferiority and it should be obvious why they should be regarded with contempt.

sharkattack wrote:
I don't mind Aspie pride once I get to wear the thong and slide around the poll on the big float. :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 4:13 pm

Nitwits come in all shapes and sizes; some of them are even on the Autistic Spectrum.

I judge one to be a nitwit individually, not as a collective.

Autistic Pride is justified. We have to always be above the fray, show ourselves to be virtuous.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2014, 4:19 pm

I think that in some cases it is kinda like the "gay pride" thing, aka proud=not being ashamed of.
But then I found out that there are some people who really think they are better than NTs just because of the way they are born and not because of what they have done/do, and I do not agree with that.
Personally, I don't feel any pride for having a disability and I'd rather keep myself out of any pride movement. I just want to be who I am. Not ashamed of who I am, but not proud, either.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 8:05 pm

its autistic pride not an aspie pride movement that has been gaining popularity over the years.

am proud to be self; am proud of all the things have personaly managed to do that people said woud never be able to do,am proud of the people am supported by-who all give a sht,including the ex support staff of mine who still visit to see how am doing and give birthday and christmas presents despite not being supported by them for years.

am not proud of having autism,its just a uncontrolable part of life,its like being proud of breathing or sleeping.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!