Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jgesinger
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2014, 4:17 pm

What are some ways in which people with Asperger's or Autism are able to self-advocate for themselves? Is there enough resources out there to help gain self-advocacy? Is there any way in which the public could help in this self-advocacy process? If so, what would that aid look like?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 5:08 pm

you may want to join the national Autistic Self-Advocacy Network (ASAN).

P192
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2014, 5:31 pm

One way is to research autism spectrum disorders (or your particular diagnosis) and try to figure out which symptoms apply to you most and the way it affects you, and then explain it to your peers and co-workers. You are an individual, a diagnosis doesn't define you, it just helps you understand why things that others see as "common knowledge" come harder to you than expected. It takes a lot of introspecting and analyzing to word it properly, but explaining that it's a neurological difference may help people see it in the right light I guess.

On a grander scale, we can all help by spreading awareness of neuro-diversity. I feel like there's a lot of stereotypes about autism conditions and the public is misinformed, so we should emphasize that we are people with differences that make it harder (and sometimes, easier) for us to understand and express certain things.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 1:26 am

am a activist and self advocate and work on the UK NHS social services learning [intelectual] disability team service user panel,
our advocacy group has a lot of classic autistics but am the most communication disabled and have got PECS,easy read symbol based stuff, a communicator/language interpreter and person to write stuff down if have not got laptop,we are all very opinionated but not in a forceful selfish way as we all want the same sort of goals.
sometimes we get very shy people who live on their own attending and although theyre not used to being around others and dont say much at all they get to hear different opinions and hopefuly learn to build up strength to give their own.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

KathrynJaneway
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Apr 2014, 2:34 pm

Hi. I am totally blind, and have Asperger's Syndrome. I was diagnosed as an aspie in 2007, I think. I am staying at a place for the blind in South Carolina, for the purposes of learning independent living skills, and mobility, along with other things. I stay there during the week. Their eventual goal is to help you be as successful in life as you can. Some people I talk to on a day to day basis haven't had much experience with Asperger's Syndrome. I was born blind, so I'm used to dealing with questions about that. I'm discovering that trying to explain a neurological condition is a little different. I am not part of a support group, and am trying my best to advocate for myself. I'm just not fully sure where to begin. Also, I don't know what some mean when they speak of advocates. Are their advocates for those on the spectrum? Haha. I'm sure there are. I'm just not sure of who to contact, and how. I was wondering if anyone had any insight. I don't want Autism Speaks, though I'm sure they'd be more than willing to help me. Get back to me if you have any advice from personal experience, or just in general.