Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 4:53 pm

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2014, 5:01 pm

I remember this when it was on the news. Tragic. The guy with Aspergers was just stating a fact that it's dangerous to ride on the pavement and was likely a little annoyed that the guy on the bike just stopped right infront of him expecting the guy to move. The guy on the bike has no right of way it should have been him that should move.

But, it goes to show that people are inconsiderate and will do all they can to protect their wrongdoing. Including violence. They Aspergers guy had courage, personally I'd have just moved out the way to avoid confrontation but I admire his courage.

I can't say I'm saddened, or upset. But it was a tragic way to die. RIP

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 5:41 pm

jayjayuk wrote:
I remember this when it was on the news. Tragic. The guy with Aspergers was just stating a fact that it's dangerous to ride on the pavement and was likely a little annoyed that the guy on the bike just stopped right infront of him expecting the guy to move. The guy on the bike has no right of way it should have been him that should move.

But, it goes to show that people are inconsiderate and will do all they can to protect their wrongdoing. Including violence. They Aspergers guy had courage, personally I'd have just moved out the way to avoid confrontation but I admire his courage.

Whats more important being brave resulting in getting killed or simply walking away and live another day? If someone cycling on the pavement upsets you so much then report it to the police instead of being a hero and putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation.

His killer was savage and evil....... no excuse for punching him that hard. However if he really did make a racist remark then sorry I don't have a lot of sympathy for the guy that died, especially if the man did not intend to kill him with the punch.

Last edited by Jamesy on 17 Apr 2014, 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 5:43 pm

The fact that he "suffered" from Asperger's Syndrome seems irrelevant. But I expect that kind of nonsense from news reporters.

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2014, 5:49 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Whats more important being brave resulting in getting killed or simply walking away and live another day? If someone cycling on the pavement upsets you so much then report it to the police instead of being a hero and putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation.

Walking on by. Which is why I would have moved out of the way to avoid any confrontation.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 5:53 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Whats more important being brave resulting in getting killed or simply walking away and live another day?

That's not a very meaningful rhetorical question because the victim almost certainly had no idea that the situation was mortally dangerous.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 6:15 pm

starkid wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Whats more important being brave resulting in getting killed or simply walking away and live another day?

That's not a very meaningful rhetorical question because the victim almost certainly had no idea that the situation was mortally dangerous.

The man should have realised that when you confront 'strangers' in public that all bets are off. Especially strangers who disregard the law like the cyclist in the video.

The bottom line is he should have not gotten himself into the situation to begin with.

Last edited by Jamesy on 17 Apr 2014, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 6:16 pm

4 1/2 years is not enough.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 6:21 pm

eric76 wrote:

Agree 100 percent

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 8:23 pm

jayjayuk wrote:

Sometimes it's a choice between riding on the footpath or getting run over on the road.
Laws are all very well, but if the council can't be bothered making decent bike lanes, I'm not going to get myself killed for the sake of not breaking any laws.
And as for pedestrians not moving, I've had people walking 3 abreast, and they can see me coming, and just what am I supposed to do, suffuse my cells through the nearest wall so I can pass them? It's not that hard for someone to take one step to the side.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2014, 8:27 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
jayjayuk wrote:

Sometimes it's a choice between riding on the footpath or getting run over on the road.
Laws are all very well, but if the council can't be bothered making decent bike lanes, I'm not going to get myself killed for the sake of not breaking any laws.
And as for pedestrians not moving, I've had people walking 3 abreast, and they can see me coming, and just what am I supposed to do, suffuse my cells through the nearest wall so I can pass them? It's not that hard for someone to take one step to the side.

That't a good point about the cycle paths. They tore up most of the ones in my area to replace them with bus lanes, now most people cycle one the path. Some people would step aside, myself included. I guess theres an argument from both sides of the fence.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 8:55 pm

jayjayuk wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
jayjayuk wrote:

That't a good point about the cycle paths. They tore up most of the ones in my area to replace them with bus lanes, now most people cycle one the path. Some people would step aside, myself included. I guess theres an argument from both sides of the fence.

Of course it doesn't excuse killing someone, though. I have been tempted to give a few pedestrians a good slap, however.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 9:06 pm

Very disturbing.

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 11:02 pm

The fact he has Aspergers is actually pretty irrelevant, but that's news. Whatever gets them attention.

It doesn't change the fact that this was indeed a tragic incident.

eric76 wrote:

I agree as I disagree with the mild punishments people get for "accidentally killing someone"- not just in this case.
However, I wouldn't say death sentence is justified in such a case either, to be honest.

But to explain the reasons why I consider the sentence to be too mild:
He clearly aimed for the head, he wanted to knock him out and/or hurt him in the face and a punch in that area can kill, if done right, not to mention that if someone gets knocked out (like it was in this video) and falls backwards and hits his or her head on rock hard floor, it's pretty obvious that it might very well lead to damages like a fracture of the skull and that is another deadly risk that one has to put into consideration.

The culprit clearly disregarded those risks when he acted. Whether the victim called his friend or even him some names (or said something offending about his skin pigmentation or alike) or not: It does not matter and does not justify violence! And death is the worst case that can happen if you act without thinking.

Sometimes, I get the impression people never really bothered to learn self-control or how to think before acting. This case is one of those that makes me wonder about that. :roll:

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 5:43 am

starkid wrote:
The fact that he "suffered" from Asperger's Syndrome seems irrelevant. But I expect that kind of nonsense from news reporters.

his aspergers coud have had a big impact on his actions,it is a spectrum within a spectrum afterall.
he coud have been obsessively rule driven, not following rules is a concept that is very difficult to understand for people across the whole of the autistic spectrum including hfa so he coud well have been following what his brain was instructing him to do.

and its not just people on the spectrum who do this,telling people the rules when someone is breaking them is very common with elderly people as it was beaten in to them at a young age when they broke any, but it still doesnt mean they deserve to be physicaly harmed let alone killed.

the scumbag shoud have got far longer for the death because it was a vulnerable individual he killed,this just sends out the wrong message that vulnerable people are not protected.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Apr 2014, 7:30 am

Jamesy wrote:
starkid wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

The man should have realised that when you confront 'strangers' in public that all bets are off. Especially strangers who disregard the law like the cyclist in the video.

The bottom line is he should have not gotten himself into the situation to begin with.

I hope you never end up in a situation that you didn't see coming that other people blame you for.

Because that crap you're saying now? No.