Supplements that initially work then body tolerance

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 7:54 am

Anyone take any vitamin / natural health supplements that work?

In the past ive taken magnesium, zinc b6 q10 and much more with temporary improvements in mental well being then after a few days it wears off.

Really annoying when you find something that you think works then it doesnt.

- George Bernie Shaw

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 10:29 am

carlos55 wrote:
Anyone take any vitamin / natural health supplements that work?

In the past ive taken magnesium, zinc b6 q10 and much more with temporary improvements in mental well being then after a few days it wears off.

Really annoying when you find something that you think works then it doesnt.

This is really a curious one for me. Am very careful to quantify, what , works , affects me or not , versus , possible power of suggestion .
A great deal of these supplements actually take year to replace, depleted levels of minerals and some vitamins , cal mag zinc , work synergistically . In order to absorb some of these things , others must be present first . Body loves vitamin C ,bioflavinoids and or Rose hips help absorbtion, Add zinc helps immune , mainly against outside virus and bacteria , ie. Colds and flu . Have used myself as a test dummy to double blind test effects.
Calcium likes zinc and magnesium . But in reality take awhile to get body levels back up. To get what is needed, Body can only sbsorb ,so much at a time . So can require ongoing supply .Vitamin A , will work by itself but is stored
In fat cells , like vitamin E is also . Plus those 2 work synergistically too .
( to help depression ) usually within 2 weeks .plus many other things , Skin etc.
Lecithin , loves circulatory system and BRAIN. Breaks down into acetylcholine
Used in long term memory storage.. Selenium and E like each other to the point of beating up production of some cancer cells . COq10 , helps heart and a.t.p processing .along with iron that is absorbable . Rumours claim , it help brain aswell.
What am trying to write , longer term usauge gives longer benefit .but use with
Reservation , research dosages . Minerals like each other but in different amounts per liter of blood . Think eyedropper bottles of liquid mineral supplements . Manufacturers give away information on ingrediants list on label. Some mutli supplements , are not very good. Read ingrediants lists ignore , r.d.a. recomended daily allowances . Written on bottles above ingrediants list . Research .. these things work if applied correctly.
Just my own opinion , see reference book . " Life Extension" by dr. Dirk Pearson MD and Sandy Shaw phd.
For some supplements if you think you feel better conciously stop , look for changes , Vitamin C , you can use alot but you may quit noticing affects when body levels are actually up to good levels . Like Naicin , if you take it , and its usuable by your body . You will get a skin flush . Take same amount next 2-3 days and no-flush. Body has adapted . And will continue to help circulation but body stops flushing. Now double the dose and you will flush again. Same thing. Consider please some supplements can have a toxic level. Research!
More is not always better .in short term.

Not a medical professional, disclaimer : check with your md first

where ever you go ,there you are

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 7:33 am

Tried short bursts of creatine suppilmentation as well which worked very well for a while.

My brain really started to work and felt "normal" for the first time showing me what i had been missing.

Then out of the blue it made me feel sick and i cant take it anymore. Not that its that good for you anyway.

- George Bernie Shaw

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 11:32 am

carlos55 wrote:
Tried short bursts of creatine suppilmentation as well which worked very well for a while.

My brain really started to work and felt "normal" for the first time showing me what i had been missing.

Then out of the blue it made me feel sick and i cant take it anymore. Not that its that good for you anyway.

Creatine was so much fun ..quit working after awhile for me too.
Did supplement creatine with ice cream bar .. burns much energy quickly .
Wow congrats on that normal feeling you had ! Amino Acids like other things present . When they work. Sometimes as simple as something to use as fuel
Sometimes other amino acids .. Redbull company figured this out , most early products of theirs gave list of ingrediants on back of label. Just guess jow many milligrams of Taurine ...? Just guess ? Then go read on taurine and how it works and functions in humans . Oh yeah of course caffiene and guarana.
These 2 same difference but one is in more natural state. Yeah , i get your reading it here and maybe no interest in looking up taurine .? So it was so cool to add that to Redbull ,( a few other brands too) . Taurine is what helps system recover , from drains on the processes that create energy in a human .
Maybe total 300 mg if that much, of caffiene in Redbull , but 1000 mg of Taurine. Very smart even a little tricky .

Label reading can be most fun if you know what your looking at .

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 10:00 am

Dont know much about taurine and how safe it is?

The creatine thing was an accident really was going to the gym years back and wanted muscle gain so thought i would try some.

Few days later and im like wow whats happening here with my brain. Thoughts and language just flowed out without any blocks with many of my other social difficulties reduced.

I looked it up on the net and it does have a proven effect on memory. So much so they trialed it with dementia patents.

Stopped and started taking it in short bursts over a few weeks a decade ago, then it started to make me feel dizzy and sick so i stopped.

Its meant to be safe but has a potential longterm unknown effect on the kidneys and liver so prob not a longterm solution.

- George Bernie Shaw

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 9:08 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Dont know much about taurine and how safe it is?

The creatine thing was an accident really was going to the gym years back and wanted muscle gain so thought i would try some.

Few days later and im like wow whats happening here with my brain. Thoughts and language just flowed out without any blocks with many of my other social difficulties reduced.

I looked it up on the net and it does have a proven effect on memory. So much so they trialed it with dementia patents.

Stopped and started taking it in short bursts over a few weeks a decade ago, then it started to make me feel dizzy and sick so i stopped.

Its meant to be safe but has a potential longterm unknown effect on the kidneys and liver so prob not a longterm solution.
yaay for creatine
Have done alot of reading on supplements, (since i was 16 yrs old)