Question on offspring of autistic couples

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Dreamer1993
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2014, 8:35 am

Here's a question which I have been thinking about for years, if a heterosexual couple with both on the spectrum had a baby together, what are the odds of the child having autism or asperger's?

DutchAsparagus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Apr 2014, 8:45 am

I think the chances are pretty high. I'm not sure of the percentages, but it occurs more than often that an autistic person has an child with ASD.

rebecca1220
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2014, 11:23 am

I have wondered this. Its kind of strange when you think about it, since two people who are NT can produce a child with AS (both my parents are NT) as well.

I have also wondered what the odds are in having a child with AS/autism when one person is NT and the other has AS. I'm not thinking about having children, and I am too young (emotionally and financially, I know there are people my age with kids who make good parents). But, I am curious what the odds would be (my boyfriend is NT).

xx

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 2:34 pm

About 99.9% of autistic couples out there will never have children of there own because of that risk. although high. there have been cases of them having normal NT children. Other factors for not wanting children may be financial and well as dealing with the stress of child raising.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 3:03 pm

It depends if the genes are recessive or not, which I think they are because they are uncommon. So more then likely the chance is close to 100% because both of the parents only have autistic genes. Conversely if they have children with someone who is not on the spectrum, its like a 25% chance I think.

There are many other factors involved, so better to just read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_autism