Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


If you said the quote I asked to anyone check this box. If you refuse to its ok check the 'No thanks'
I am proud to be an aspie! 48%  48%  [ 16 ]
No, Thanks 52%  52%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 33

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,088
Location: Starship Voyager, somewhere in the Delta quadrant

27 Apr 2014, 9:00 pm

LunarOfficial wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:
Callista wrote:
Uh-oh, daydreamer; don't poke the grammarians. You may get more than you bargained for!

slenkar wrote:
Quote:
Goal :

This summer of 2014 I will learn over 14 programming languages, because I can. I know I can. No one say I can't because I can.

are you sure you are NT?

Its good that you respect and get along with your AS friend
Hey, now, Aspies aren't the only ones who can program!


You are correct Callista, however I don't know many NTs who are excited to learn 14 different programming languages in three months.


Well this one is! :lol: I will right more in the science and computers forum and I already know 7


That's quite impressive; I once attempted to teach myself HTML, but didn't get very far; couldn't make the interest stick.


_________________
"Survival is insufficient" - Seven of Nine
Diagnosed with ASD level 1 on the 10th of April, 2014
Rediagnosed with ASD level 2 on the 4th of May, 2019
Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!


sly279
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,181
Location: US

27 Apr 2014, 10:43 pm

nope. I am less ashamed then I use to be but I still don't want anyone knowing I have it.



skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,735
Location: my own little world

27 Apr 2014, 10:59 pm

I completely understand what you mean when you say you want people to announce and and be proud of it. And I welcome you to WP. It is good to have you. But being on the Spectrum can be very complex for some. There are things about being on the Spectrum that are wonderful but there are also challenges which can seem unbearable at times. Also some people have family members or even job situations that cannot accept them being on the Spectrum and that can really mess with people's abilities to feel completely secure in who they are. Some handle it with no problems and others really struggle. And sometimes it's a mix of both. So sometimes the issue has to be handled with strategic delicacy.

And for some people being on the Spectrum can have some emotional trauma associated with it so people really need to be able to accept it as they are able to and be able to feel whatever they need to feel about it. And if they are not comfortable telling others that is fine. But you are right in feeling that the more people are educated about it the better. But we always want to be very sensitive and very respectful to whatever people feel about their situations. This can actually be hard for some to do but we do our best and that's what matters most.

But just like you said we are not unworthy or unequal. And as someone else mentioned before, our brains are not broken, just different like just how someone might have a different skin color than you does not mean that his skin is broken, it's just different. So how we function as people on the Spectrum is not necessarily right or wrong it's just different. Like if one person sees a glass half full of milk and the other person sees it as half empty, neither of them is right or wrong, they are both right and equally both wrong depending on who is asking. They just see and perceive the same thing from an opposite perspective.

But I do commend you for coming here and making efforts to encourage because I believe that is what you meant to do and that is always a good thing.

I am also super impressed by your goal and what you have already accomplished towards it. That is awesome, really, very awesome and I wish you the best to reach it.


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,204
Location: Sydney, Australia

27 Apr 2014, 11:44 pm

Ok, put it this way. I don't do well with people telling me what to do. You sound pushy. They're being pushy right? Because I have this anxiety thing that triggers when people make suggestions and then it turns out I overreacted.

I think Skibum made some good points about how it is not always easy to tell people about your autism or to feel good about it yourself.

It's not as simple as just telling people you have autism. They react. They reject. They deny. Or they start treating you in a different way. They either ignore your symptoms are as disabling as they are or they wrap you up in cotton wool and start to do everything for you. People can even take advantage of you because they think you're weak and an easy target.

For now the only people that know I have autism outside this forum and that ADHD forum are people who read my blog and are on my Facebook friends list, which is practically everyone I know. Maybe I'll tell the postman next time he knocks on my door.


_________________
My band photography blog - http://lostthroughthelens.wordpress.com/
My personal blog - http://helptheywantmetosocialise.wordpress.com/


Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 643

28 Apr 2014, 12:33 am

While there are advantages to being on the spectrum I try not to take pride in things I had no say in (like height, hair colour, neurology etc). Incidentally I've never actually been formally diagnosed so it might be the case that I'm just an NT who identifies with people on the spectrum for some reason, like you. Though I have based my self diagnosis/suspicions on things going way back to infancy some of which I can even remember from a really young age. I act on the assumption I have an ASD now but even if I find out I don't one day this is probably the website I've felt most able to share on and I relate to other people's posts here more than anywhere else on line.



einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2014
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 275
Location: the utopia

28 Apr 2014, 2:24 am

LunarOfficial wrote:
Lets Put It This Way...
People with Autism & Aspergers, I get along better with than NT's ( Which is weird cause I am one ).

After a year with my friend with Asperger's & High - Functioning Autism, I can communicate and understand everyone with Autism or Asperger's. When I first met my friend I Kinda thought he was strange, but yet he was smart just like me. After a while he explained to me what he had, so everything became so much clearer. To me every one of you are normal people. Weather you are Autistic, have Aspergers, or anything else, you are still people.

I find being able to connect with Aspies and people with Autism is a almost essential skill today, since they are becoming more widespread across the world, and maybe in the future there will be less NT's.

Most kids with asperger's that are in school get picked on because of how they act, which I find shameful in the people that are picking on them, because there is a reason that that person acts how they do.

I respect each and everyone of you on this forum, and you guys need to show yourselves to the world. I would like you guys to tell people that you meet,
Quote:
I am and Aspie, and I am proud to be one.
.

If you want to a bit more about me just read my post in the Getting to Know Each Other forum
Thanks man :')Thank you,trev.Thank you.and how often am i piked on without realising it?



LunarOfficial
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 25 Apr 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 18

28 Apr 2014, 5:36 am

Quote:
Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.


_________________
Goal :

This summer of 2014 I will learn over 14 programming languages, because I can. I know I can. No one say I can't because I can.


Last edited by LunarOfficial on 28 Apr 2014, 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

LunarOfficial
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 25 Apr 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 18

28 Apr 2014, 5:36 am

pensieve wrote:
Ok, put it this way. I don't do well with people telling me what to do. You sound pushy. They're being pushy right? Because I have this anxiety thing that triggers when people make suggestions and then it turns out I overreacted.

I think Skibum made some good points about how it is not always easy to tell people about your autism or to feel good about it yourself.

It's not as simple as just telling people you have autism. They react. They reject. They deny. Or they start treating you in a different way. They either ignore your symptoms are as disabling as they are or they wrap you up in cotton wool and start to do everything for you. People can even take advantage of you because they think you're weak and an easy target.

For now the only people that know I have autism outside this forum and that ADHD forum are people who read my blog and are on my Facebook friends list, which is practically everyone I know. Maybe I'll tell the postman next time he knocks on my door.


No no, I am not being pushy. It was just a small request, that no one has to do if they are uncomfortable with it. I understand your position, and how it kinda freaks you out, and I apologize if you feel that I am being rude and demanding things out of your comfort zone.


_________________
Goal :

This summer of 2014 I will learn over 14 programming languages, because I can. I know I can. No one say I can't because I can.


StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,088
Location: Starship Voyager, somewhere in the Delta quadrant

29 Apr 2014, 12:09 am

I think we all need to relax a little. The kid's thirteen, and he's trying to be supportive, can't we simply thank him for that support then do what we will with his advice?


_________________
"Survival is insufficient" - Seven of Nine
Diagnosed with ASD level 1 on the 10th of April, 2014
Rediagnosed with ASD level 2 on the 4th of May, 2019
Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,390
Location: Long Island, New York

29 Apr 2014, 8:07 pm

^^^^
THIS


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


GibbieGal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 29 Mar 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 153

29 Apr 2014, 8:47 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
I think we all need to relax a little. The kid's thirteen, and he's trying to be supportive, can't we simply thank him for that support then do what we will with his advice?


:cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktbhw0v186Q



Spectre
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2014
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 38

29 Apr 2014, 9:24 pm

Lunar, you clearly have youthful enthusiasm. And you come across as well meaning. But there are situations where it isn't best to immediately disclose a disability. And some people might not be proud. When you say things like we "need" to do something, and talk about what you "would like", it comes across as not very understanding.



Al725
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 271

05 May 2014, 1:44 am

I remeber one time my smart but sometimes stupid said something so stupid it enraged me. She said "Disabled people are proud to be disabled". I think she immediately realized how stupid she sounded because she immediately dismissed the conversation to watch some T.V. show. Still to this day, I can't believe she said that.

You are reminding me of this! But you are only thirteen and she was about 25 when she said that, so I geuss you're not as dim as her.



limping2victory
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2012
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 105
Location: Ohio

05 May 2014, 3:49 pm

LunarOfficial wrote:
You should be proud, even if your brain does not function right, you are intelligent and you can put that to use. I may just be 13, I may not have it from your perspective, but sometimes certain people can be right, about certain things. I think every person on this earth has something that no one else has but 75% of the population never find it. You should try.


Your directness and awkwardness certainly seem reminiscent of some autistics.

I should be proud, even if my brain doesn't function right? So, it's okay that I'm a dud...? Very offensive.

Autism is not a processing error, it's a different operating system. The sooner people realize and accept this the better off we'll ALL be, Autistics and Nautistics alike.

I don't really get the idea of being proud of being Autistic, any more than I get the idea of being proud to be Italian or a citizen of the United States. I was born autistic, Italian and born in the US.

It seems among other autistics there is no need to be proud. It's among nautistics that may see autism as negative that we are most likely to identify as being proud to be autistic. A kind of need to push back against something negative that we reject (their attitude, view of autism).

I have no problem discussing being autistic with anyone, as long as they're not being a jerk, mocking me, etc. However, it can be dangerous in a sense. I told my boss I was autistic, wasn't really sure how to explain so I found a site with some info, printed it out and handed it to her but I'm sure she never read it. At least she didn't appear any more knowledgeable and never asked me any questions. A few years later, within 6 months ago I was fired and I think it had to do with being autistic, I was misunderstood and suffered for others mistakes.

I would much prefer to honest and open about being autistic, what challenges I have, etc. but nautistics won't be part of a dialogue. Maybe they think I'm weird, maybe they're afraid of me because I'm different, maybe they just don't like me, but I can't get nautistics to tell me when or if I'm making them uncomfortable and why. The why is important. They just don't want to take the time, make the effort, so instead they just back away figuratively speaking and as usual I'm left wondering what I did and not knowing. It undermines any confidence I have and just aggravates anxiety and depression.



Last edited by limping2victory on 06 May 2014, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2014
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 275
Location: the utopia

06 May 2014, 6:25 am

He didi not mean it that way,man.