Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 2:02 pm

night larks and morning owls rule 8)

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 2:54 pm

I tend to be a bit of a night owl...I tend to be something of an insomniac anyway, and late night is usually the only time I get that's all to myself with any guarantee of total peace and quiet.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 3:00 pm

Hopper wrote:
I much prefer to keep the night company. A pleasant, quiet, cocoonish experience.

Same as how I prefer rainy days to dry days. And night rain is bliss.

You too? I thought it was just me I love when it rains esp at night!

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 May 2014, 3:50 pm

I have wicked insomnia. My brain won't shut down no matter how tired I am.

sidelines
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 May 2014, 4:13 pm

Hopper wrote:
I much prefer to keep the night company. A pleasant, quiet, cocoonish experience.

I'm the same, and that's beautifully put.

The trouble is that I also crave sunlight - I don't necessarily want to be out in it, but it cheers me up no end if the sun is shining outside and the sky is blue. With a sleep cycle as extremely nocturnal as mine can be, I can end up missing the entire day, and that's not good.

I'm trying to get myself into a slightly less crazy rhythm so I can have a bit of both, at least in summer; but it's not easy, as my body seems to have very specific ideas about when it wants to sleep and when it wants to concentrate (which turns into a problem if I have work to do and my brain won't kick into gear until midnight).

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 9:00 pm

RainbowFairy wrote:
I don't actually have rituals. But I do kind of have some OCD things that I do and I may have OCD along with autism, unfortunately. :(

For instance, I'm very germaphobic. I take too many showers and wash my hands too often. And I also wash my clothes more often than they need to be. Taking lots of showers is unhealthy, but I feel the compulsive feeling that I need to shower a lot.

And I tend to use a lot of hand sanitizer. And I clean a lot of things a lot more than they're needed. Sometimes, I wish I had augmented reality classes or contact lenses that I could wear all the time, that would tell me how many germs are on something, and whether they're dangerous germs or not. I feel like it would bother me less if I knew and I knew everything was clean and safe and didn't have too much harmful bacteria on it.

But I don't like rituals really. Or I guess what I really mean is that I don't like schedules. Being responsible is a part of being an adult. But that doesn't mean that it's always fun. I find it most fun to be able to do what I feel like doing at the time, rather than having a schedule. The less schedule I have, the happier I feel. Having obligations and keeping track of time isn't fun for me. I'm sure that's how things are for most people, after all, it's a responsibility, not something people do for fun. But it does seem like some people do like schedules and responsibilities like that.

There's not much I have to do every day as long as I'm having fun. But I don't want to be doing things that aren't fun. Or doing things that make me feel uncomfortable.

Holy crap, you're just like me in a lot of ways. I'm somewhat of a germaphobe, and I hate having a busy schedule as well.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 9:21 pm

Was an extreme nightowl until my 40s, then became a lark and still more of a lark as time goes by. Love waking up with the dawn rising now. Years ago that used to be my bedtime.

The high proportion of night owls in the poll as opposed to larks may possibly be a reflection of the age profiles of the Wp members.

As you get older, hormone levels change and this affects things like melatonin and how the brain responds to these changes. Less sleep and early waking is far more common in older age groups of both sexes, even people like me who were extreme "night" people.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

16 May 2014, 11:21 pm

Neither really. I seem to have no control over my sleep schedule. :lol:

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 2:23 am

I'm a night owl, but I'm trying to change.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 2:50 am

Early bird.

Used to be a night owl but my circadian rhythm changed when I went paleo. It also makes a difference if I don't use a computer in the evening. Using a computer at nights keeps me awake and stops me from feeling sleepy at my usual time. It seems to over stimulate my neurons as well and tends to wind my brain up. Both of which result in insomnia and my staying up late.

Also being an early bird I can get more done during the day, especially as i like to be out and about getting a good dose of vitamin D

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 3:05 am

Natural night owl here. But trying to go to bed earlier.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 9:27 pm

Silly me, I create a thread and forgot to answer the question myself - night owl.