28% of murderers thought to have suffered from ASD

Page 11 of 19 [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 10:56 am

Aniihya wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
I'm sure someone's already posted this, but turn it around and you've got "72% of murderers thought to have not suffered from ASD.".

But even that is too low.

The data doesn't support or even "hint at" the conclusions drawn.

A scientist is not going to advocate doing a study to categorize theropod populations currently living in the Australian outback or a study to categorize the hull designs of UFOs observed over Siberia compared to those observed over Brazil, because there is no reason to think such studies would be possible to complete or yield useful or interesting results.

In the meantime, people should refrain from proclaiming a connection that simply has not been shown. Are some autistic people violent criminals? Yes, such evidence as actually exists seems to show that the rate of such behavior among autistics is LOWER than in neurotypical populations, not higher.

If evidence emerges that shows some connection, then that is something worth exploring carefully, but in the meantime it is damaging and foolish to smear a very heterogenous population of autistic people, who exhibit extreme variations in cognitive and behavioral styles with charges that they all have some increased propensity for extreme violence, or spree killing, or serial killing or any such thing.

Please present mentioned evidence.

Funny you should ask for that, as you never provided evidence to the contrary in a previous debate on this subject in the News and Current Events forum: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=200813&start=45

But I don't mind providing evidence:
Dr Mohammad Ghaziuddin studied this and found no evidence of higher rates of crime (and some evidence of lower rates of criminal conviction) in autistic populations. Specifically cited in his article in Current Psychiatry (http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/home/a ... 2abe2.html) is the paper "Haskins BG, Silva JA. Asperger’s disorder and criminal behavior: Forensic-psychiatric considerations. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2006;34(3):374-384." which provided this information: "In a clinical sample of 313 Danish adults with ASD (age 25 to 59) drawn from the Danish Register of Criminality, Mouridsen and colleagues found that persons with ASD had a lower rate of criminal conviction than matched controls (9%, compared with 18%)."

So there you go, a shred of evidence to support my claim. I have yet to see a similar shred of evidence to support the accusation that autistic people murder or commit acts of violence at higher rates than other people.

I am convinced by the reasoning presented by Emily Willingham in Forbes on this topic: http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillin ... -autistic/

Some brief excerpts:
Quote:
In their paper, which is making a splash, of course, Clare Allely and co-authors claim that 67 of the 239 “eligible killers” they evaluated in their review had “definite, highly probable, or possible” autism spectrum disorder. But a closer look at their numbers shows that of these, only six were in the “definite” category [ETA: details on those six summarized here]. That’s 2.5% of the total of 239 they examined. It’s a percentage that happens to be just slightly less than the 2.6% identified in the most thorough study of autism prevalence in the general population to date, in South Korea.
The authors of this egregious paper helpfully provide some silly Venn diagrams that allegedly show the overlap of autism, brain injury, and emotional distress. But as I’ve written before, the real unifying feature of most mass murderers isn’t any of these. It’s the anger and the rage, often blasted outward at innocent targets by way of easily accessible firearms. No autism required … or, in the vast majority of cases even identified in this paper … diagnosed.

It's a well considered, well written piece. I recommend it to anyone interested in this topic.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 11:32 am

This may be a basis for indication. http://www.internetjournalofcriminology ... People.pdf The article states that although there is reluctance to link autism spectrum disorders to violent crime, an indication is available (which may present the basis for future research on whether autism may actually indicate a lesser or greater likelihood to violent crime). On a side note, the article doesn't mention much about comorbids, which may be a factor needed for consideration. Otherwise, I am completely apathetic about if people become emotional about it and think it may pose a threat to the community. I will still follow the latest studies out of personal interest, awaiting a result (I don't mind if the result indicates a lesser likelihood or a greater likelihood).

However what I know from more recent studies is that in overall crime, people on the spectrum are far less likely to commit crime (taking any crime into consideration). However crimes actually committed [by people on the spectrum] seem mostly to be either arson or domestic violence (physical harm to family members or people known).

If you can read, then you should need to get mad or offended. It needs to be read literally and should not be open for interpretation. If you still don't understand it, then either reread or ask me to type it in simpler terms. Sadly I cannot post direct links to some studies as you would need an account on IEEE and those are difficult to get and if I do copy/paste mentions studies, then I could run into legal problems.

However here are some alternatives available on the issue:

The referenced articles rather form deviating views on the issue.

My simple point is: I see the topic worthy of research and further discovery to achieve better insight, no matter whether people fear that it may have outcomes they hadn't hoped for or not.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 11:34 am

And dammit Adamantium, I ended the last debate with you because you did not listen to me and twisted my words. Instead I was accused of making claims, when my whole point was to allow research on the topic no matter the result. Currently only few studies have really been done.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 12:24 pm

On a side note: This will be my late post in this thread because some people just take everything personal on this site.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 12:38 pm

Aniihya wrote:
And dammit Adamantium, I ended the last debate with you because you did not listen to me and twisted my words. Instead I was accused of making claims, when my whole point was to allow research on the topic no matter the result. Currently only few studies have really been done.

I am truly sorry to have hurt your feelings.

I am not always tactful and can be very dogged in pursuing a thought or line of argument--perhaps to a fault.
I very much regret that my posts have distressed you.

I do agree that all these subjects need study, though the researchers should work harder not to reach conclusions not supported by their data or predetermine their findings, as the Glasgow team did in the story that started this thread. Emily Willingham's piece in Forbes really does make the case for a more balanced approach well.

Please be well, Aniihya.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 12:57 pm

Okay this is really my last post in the thread. Apology accepted. I admit that I also may be rather intense at times. But sometimes you get tired of miscommunication (at which often both sides take the blame such as I am not well at expression of my thoughts as I sometimes cant find the correct words to describe my thoughts). I would like to reiterate that I do not have bias on any conclusion but rather would like to see further research to get a stable foundation on the matter.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 12:58 pm

We all can get out of hand on the forums. I think it's part of autism. Please remember that we all share more than not...

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 1:32 pm

...Let's go .

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 4:06 pm

The way I see it, a murderer is a murderer, whether they're Aspie or NT or Schizophrenic or whatever. Blaming murder and other crimes on Autism just generates more stigma against the Autistic community, even though the vast majority of us are harmless, and the ones that are liable to murder are just despicable. I know I'm not capable of murder. It's a bit like saying XX% of Muslims are terrorists, and blaming terrorism on Muslims and making the rest of the general population turn against Muslims, just because of some statistic spread all over the media and gullible people believe it.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 9:18 pm

My dad explained to me that anyone like us are still more likely to be victims, even if I was a criminal with ASD.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2020, 10:45 pm

FranzOren wrote:
My dad explained to me that anyone like us are still more likely to be victims, even if I was a criminal with ASD.

That's true for everyone. Every criminal who commits a violent crime against someone has at least one victim. Since some, if not most, have more than one victim there will always be more victims than criminals.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 10:58 pm

That makes sense, but my dad is saying that there are complicated reasons why most people with mental health and developmental disorders are more likely to be victims of crimes then the general population.

That does not mean that we are not capable of being criminals.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 11:04 pm

More nonsense? Great, what we all need on top of everything else.

Who cares anymore? Let the idiots think what they want to think. We can't stop them.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 11:24 pm

I think we are entitled to own opinions, even if our opinions can be right or wrong

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 11:29 pm

FranzOren wrote:

Your dad is correct.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 2:20 am

This thread is so triggering. Why is it summoned from its grave? :roll: