AutHaven Autistic Retreat in Colorado

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 11:25 pm

AutHaven Autistic retreat will be Friday, March 20, until Tuesday, march 24 next year. Cost is $150 per person. We are a group that likes to have fun, make friends, learn, and take actionable steps to improve the lives and opportunities for Autistics. I won't add more here. I am hoping that you all will ask questions.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 12:54 am

Where in Colorado is it, and what sorts of activities do you do?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 5:41 am

this is very cool!
I totally support the initiative.
Can't go though as I live in Brazil

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 10:55 am

[quote="StarTrekker"]Where in Colorado is it, and what sorts of activities do you do?[/quote

The venue is approimately 25 miles west of Denver in the mountains near 'Tiny Town." We actually rent out a large portion of a nudist resort [www.trynude.com] and we encourage every potential attendee to somewhat assist in planning the activities. This past February, I think everyone made new friends, felt truly nurtured and cared for [ I am, after all a granny] and had a great time on 10 miles of the most beautiful trails in the world. Star Ford [author of 'A Field Guide to Earthlings"] presented on her planned retreat center that is to be built and run completely by other Autistics [ youngest son will be helping out making trails and building evaporatative toilettes there next month]

Xenia Grant, a pioneer in Autistic activision, shared her experience with repeated sexual abuse, and we pretty much all joined in and lifted each other up and helped each other with a bit of healing.

The planning of an autistic community within an already existing community in Thornton Colorado was also on the agenda.

Special interests were shared. Interaction badges were utilized. There was lots of fun and good food. One day we went to the Denver Aquarium. And there were a number of impromptu rounds of "hit and run ping pong"[ and nobody had to get drunk to enjoy it] there was scheduled jewelry making [and no one had to follow any schedule in any way] that was mostly cancelled because I was spending a huge amount of time begging my husband to go to the hospital [ he had a heart attack during the retreat and a month later, because of the untreated heart attack is now in heart failure]

Even though we receive a small amount of donations which enables us to keep the costs low,to stay at the lowest
rates we needed to make some compromises. For instance, bedrooms were shared and some people actually had to sleep on air mattresses. We did not have catered meals or housekeepers. Everyone donated an hour a day to help with cooking,cleaning, bringing in firewood, etc.

I am more than happy to answer any more questions.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 11:01 am

vickygleitz wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:
Where in Colorado is it, and what sorts of activities do you do?[/quote

The venue is approimately 25 miles west of Denver in the mountains near 'Tiny Town." We actually rent out a large portion of a nudist resort [www.trynude.com] and we encourage every potential attendee to somewhat assist in planning the activities. This past February, I think everyone made new friends, felt truly nurtured and cared for [ I am, after all a granny] and had a great time on 10 miles of the most beautiful trails in the world. Star Ford [author of 'A Field Guide to Earthlings"] presented on her planned retreat center that is to be built and run completely by other Autistics [ youngest son will be helping out making trails and building evaporatative toilettes there next month]

Xenia Grant, a pioneer in Autistic activision, shared her experience with repeated sexual abuse, and we pretty much all joined in and lifted each other up and helped each other with a bit of healing.

The planning of an autistic community within an already existing community in Thornton Colorado was also on the agenda.

Special interests were shared. Interaction badges were utilized. There was lots of fun and good food. One day we went to the Denver Aquarium. And there were a number of impromptu rounds of "hit and run ping pong"[ and nobody had to get drunk to enjoy it] there was scheduled jewelry making [and no one had to follow any schedule in any way] that was mostly cancelled because I was spending a huge amount of time begging my husband to go to the hospital [ he had a heart attack during the retreat and a month later, because of the untreated heart attack is now in heart failure]

Even though we receive a small amount of donations which enables us to keep the costs low,to stay at the lowest
rates we needed to make some compromises. For instance, bedrooms were shared and some people actually had to sleep on air mattresses. We did not have catered meals or housekeepers. Everyone donated an hour a day to help with cooking,cleaning, bringing in firewood, etc.

I am more than happy to answer any more questions.

this sounds sooo awesome!! ! I really wish I could go!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:32 pm

URL, please?

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2015, 1:18 pm

we need to encourage more people to attend this event