Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2014, 6:23 pm

Anyone relate to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2-8Fm1EUXw

Because Kind of do. Its so me sometimes. Especially the lack of confidence in storytelling so my story telling always ends up in fillers, of um, yeah, so yeah, and uhm. Which is hilarious considering I am a writer.

I also have bad entrances too. And the whole, are we going the same way phobia?

Lol. I thought the video was funny and thought I share.

Dr_Cheeba
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2014, 6:56 pm

LMAO! That was hilarious, I love BuzzFeed.

Yes I do relate to this but I am very smooth at the basic "pre-scripted" small talk. But storytelling? I can't tell any kind of story well to save my life! I tend to ask questions and smile and laugh as I know people like to talk about themselves.

One of my biggest inspirations for social interaction is Jimmy Fallon on The Tonight Show. I've got that fake laugh down like a motherf*cker.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 6:59 pm

This is one of the reasons I wish I was mute. I can write my butt off but let me try to convey ideas with speech and I sound like I have an intellectual disability. Small talk is absolute torture. I picture Hell as an eternity where you're forced to do small talk non-stop. I think I'd rather have the flames instead.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 7:04 pm

LOL! awkward silences ... I was going to say that anyway ... and then I saw the video rofl

I just decided to give you an example (to answer your question eventho I guess it was referring to the video)

The neighbor: So are you happy here?
Me: Yes.

lol

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2014, 8:46 pm

Glad everyone enjoyed the video

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 9:14 pm

I relate.

Except for prolonging conversations. People do this to me and they don't care if I'm already 10 meters away from them.

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2014, 9:44 pm

Great video but it's not comfortable to have every one of my weaknesses highlighted and then used for humor for someone else. I wish people could understand how and why it's so difficult. :?

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2014, 9:50 pm

perpetual_padawan wrote:
Great video but it's not comfortable to have every one of my weaknesses highlighted and then used for humor for someone else. I wish people could understand how and why it's so difficult. :?

It's my weakness too. But I laughed at it. Why should you not laugh at your flaws? It may be difficult, but it cannot be possibly not something to laugh at.

My conversation with my sister earlier

Sister, "That's so you,"

Me, "I know, hehehehehee,"

Sister, "I don't know if I am comfortable with there being two of you"

Me, "It would be so weird,"

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2014, 9:59 pm

AceofKnaves wrote:
perpetual_padawan wrote:

It's my weakness too. But I laughed at it. Why should you not laugh at your flaws? It may be difficult, but it cannot be possibly not something to laugh at.

I've learned to laugh at my flaws, but it's very difficult still to be laughed at. It's something I've experienced my whole life.

Dr_Cheeba
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2014, 10:08 pm

perpetual_padawan wrote:
AceofKnaves wrote:
perpetual_padawan wrote:

I've learned to laugh at my flaws, but it's very difficult still to be laughed at. It's something I've experienced my whole life.

It's something I've experienced my whole life as well. But when you learn to laugh at yourself, you are taking away the power from others. It renders them powerless because you are at ease with who you are.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 10:33 pm

i used to show up 5 min late for events so i wouldn't have to try to make small talk before the event.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 10:38 pm

I can also relate to the video. I like the end when the guy and the girl are talking about having to use the bathroom. I also laugh at myself as well. It's better than being embarrassed about all the social blunders that I make. :)

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2014, 11:15 pm

cathylynn wrote:
i used to show up 5 min late for events so i wouldn't have to try to make small talk before the event.

I'm the

"you talking about space" guy all the time

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 12:23 am

The guy who made the video did not need to use actors, he could have filmed me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2014, 12:48 am

PFFFFT, that prolonging the conversation thing. Been there. I'll begrudgingly answer the person's question and then realize ten seconds too late that they're probably expecting me to ask it back. I don't want toooo. *whimper* Haha, the guy even does the echolalia-to-buy-time thing. (The "How was your weekend?" "How was my weekend..." part.)

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 7:02 pm

All of the conversations in the video are pointless filler. I don't respect the concept of "small talk", hence the reason I'm no good at it. It's the same as*holes that b***h about "how short life is" that expect you to dazzle at small talk and never get to the "meat" of any conversation.