Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 1:29 pm

Hey gang there's a guy whom I communicate with on and off on facebook he sometimes posts on a memorial page for one of the students that was killed at sandy hook in 2012 anyways he always posts something like Autism rocks or autism is FUNtism or something to that effect. I have HFA and I don't think it's fun or that Autism rocks or anything positive I personally feel it's a kick in the ass. Now granted there are a few special interests that I am thankful for but in general I think Autism sucks I'm not proud to be autistic because I know I am different from everybody else even tho I don't sound too different or look different.

So anyways before I stray away could it be this person has been conditioned to think that Autism is something great to have or it's fun or how it rocks? or am I being negative?

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 1:48 pm

Maybe you should ask him?

As for me, there is positive and negative in having an AS neurology.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 1:57 pm

Autism Speaks certainly doesn't claim Autism is fun. Hehe.

Seriously, I believe that everyone with AS or ASD have different experiences because of the differences of their characteristics. I have generally a low-simmer fun with my AS, but I admit to having 50+ years of learning, masking, adapting and even more learning since I tested as likely having mild-severity AS. I respect completely those who say that their own severity or characteristics aren't especially fun for them. There are times when my own aren't fun.

Still, with The Big Bang Theory and Sherlock showing characters with AS or ASD as being funnier and smarter than I could ever be, I have wondered if there is an intention by some to "hype" AS and ASD. We are seemingly now very marketable, at least as entertainment.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 2:04 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Autism Speaks certainly doesn't claim Autism is fun. Hehe.

Seriously, I believe that everyone with AS or ASD have different experiences because of the differences of their characteristics. I have generally a low-simmer fun with my AS, but I admit to having 50+ years of learning, masking, adapting and even more learning since I tested as likely having mild-severity AS. I respect completely those who say that their own severity or characteristics aren't especially fun for them. There are times when my own aren't fun.

Still, with The Big Bang Theory and Sherlock showing characters with AS or ASD as being funnier and smarter than I could ever be, I have wondered if there is an intention by some to "hype" AS and ASD. We are seemingly now very marketable, at least as entertainment.

Unfortunately, I think we have always been the entertainment.

And it is really up to each person to say for themselves whether or not it is a plus or minus. I mean, anyone who tells me their AS is a big problem for them and that is all, I accept that as you.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 2:07 pm

I have an Autism Rocks t-shirt, from ACAP, a Portland group of high functioning autistic kids that I've worked with in the past. It has to be better than being negative about it. It's not cancer, it's something you can live with, and it can even be an advantage sometimes.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 2:13 pm

It's probably an attempt to be supportive and show acceptance. But it would be annoying to me if I saw him put up something like that every day.

Wreck It Ralph

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 3:22 pm

You could always ask them? also maybe they understand it is difficult and are more saying people with the disorder can be pretty cool, like he might be trying to show support for people with autism rather then just focusing on the negatives of it. Though it might be a bit over the top, I mean I don't really see how autism would be funtism for instance but then I am not a very joyful person so that sort of enthusiasm is kinda irritating.

But yeah I find that autism causes me quite a few difficulties, there are a few things about it I am not too bothered by...its not a bed of roses so to speak, that is for sure, however I wouldn't want a 'cure' either as I wouldn't want my brain changed to work an entirely different way. I also am not proud of being on the spectrum, but more because its not an accomplishment its how I was born I don't get having pride about something you don't choose...I don't mind being different from people, though I do mind some of how I have been treated by others for that....but that is on them being an a**hole.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 4:22 pm

there are people on both extremes; those who think/assume autism is a gift/great thing and those who constantly go on about them being unable to do anything because of their autism.
personaly find both ends very draining because am unable to relate to the first group who see their autism as a gift and cant relate to those who think its the end of the world.

am in the middle,its neither a gift nor the total opposite,its just a way of life that comes with very different barriers and qualities for each person.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Last edited by KingdomOfRats on 13 Aug 2014, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 4:29 pm

The "nerd" characters in "Big Bang Theory" are, to some extent, caricatures of people with Asperger's

Autism is not the "end of the world," like terminal cancer--but it has its irritations.

I've always wondered how I would have done if my mother didn't actively seek to "knock" the autism out of me when I was a child. "Knock" doesn't mean abuse, by the way--it means she had an aggressive way of trying to make me "normal."

I have a "middle-ground" view of autism, similar to KOR. In essence, one has to live with it and adjust to it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 4:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The "nerd" characters in "Big Bang Theory" are, to some extent, caricatures of people with Asperger's

Autism is not the "end of the world," like terminal cancer--but it has its irritations.

I've always wondered how I would have done if my mother didn't actively seek to "knock" the autism out of me when I was a child. "Knock" doesn't mean abuse, by the way--it means she had an aggressive way of trying to make me "normal."

I have a "middle-ground" view of autism, similar to KOR. In essence, one has to live with it and adjust to it.

Not so sure terminal cancer is the end of the world...I mean If I developed terminal cancer its not as though the whole world ends because I have cancer, that would mean I eventually die of it and the world keeps turning.

I suppose I have the more middle ground sort of view to....like I don't feel like its a gift by any means, it certainly is a disorder and causes me difficulties but its not like a horrible curse or something, just how I am and have to manage and live with it. I think my depression, anxiety and PTSD are much worse afflictions not only do those suck and have no real 'positives' but there is also the underlying danger of attempted or successful suicide due to those.

Czarue
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2014, 4:55 pm

JoelFan wrote:
he sometimes posts on a memorial page for one of the students that was killed at sandy hook in 2012 anyways he always posts something like Autism rocks or autism is FUNtism or something to that effect.

Err... it sounds like the guy is just doing some tasteless trolling. It is after all quite insensitive to write "Autism rocks" and "FUNtism" on a memorial page for someone who has been murdered by a person with autism. You just don't do that!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 6:04 pm

It's almost like a marketing thing to me. Like I'm not disabled/impaired/whatever, I'm special different and all sparkly. Idk just seems silly. I have a few friends on the teen forums with different disabilities and we have a sub forum called Island of Misfits. We talk about our disabilities for people to understand them better and joke with each other about them. It is actually special to me being a part of this group. We don't get negative about our debilitates for the most part, just realistic. Lots of ppl tell us how amazing our attitude is. So you can be both positive and realistic about it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 6:18 pm

Czarue wrote:
JoelFan wrote:
he sometimes posts on a memorial page for one of the students that was killed at sandy hook in 2012 anyways he always posts something like Autism rocks or autism is FUNtism or something to that effect.

Err... it sounds like the guy is just doing some tasteless trolling. It is after all quite insensitive to write "Autism rocks" and "FUNtism" on a memorial page for someone who has been murdered by a person with autism. You just don't do that!

Or maybe it is in response to people stereotyping all autistic's as potential mass murderers waiting to happen...on that page, can't say as I did not see it. But yeah in the comments on pages lots of discussion tends to come up and it will get away from the theme of the page some. Sometimes I think they should make pages like that to where only people directly effected by that could post like the family, friends and people in their life. that way it avoids the problem of things going off topic and people potentially being hurt/offended or misunderstanding...like I am sure you're not the only one who would think that person is trolling, and maybe they where but its also possible they where just trying to say something positive about autism due to negative things being said in comments.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 7:26 pm

I think you just have different opinions. Maybe he really does enjoy his experience with autism a lot more than you enjoy your experience with autism. People have different symptoms, different circumstances, different personalities: all that contributes to how 2 people can experience the same disability very differently.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 10:02 pm

Pretty much like your friend, I like being on the spectrum. I'm one of the most unique people that I know of. I also don't have that herd mentality that many people have. Because I don't have that herd mentality, I had an opportunity to explore many decades and types of music. I also had the opportunity to experiment with my art during my high school years, because I had the luxury of having a lot of time to myself. Many teenagers don't have that luxury.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 11:01 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
there are people on both extremes; those who think/assume autism is a gift/great thing and those who constantly go on about them being unable to do anything because of their autism.
personaly find both ends very draining because am unable to relate to the first group who see their autism as a gift and cant relate to those who think its the end of the world.

am in the middle,its neither a gift nor the total opposite,its just a way of life that comes with very different barriers and qualities for each person.

I tend to limit new activities. Self sees disability, not negatives anymore..Agreed I can't understand extremes either.