Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 7:04 am

Ok. Dad is usually ALWAYS off from work on Mon/Tues. I've been planning for weeks/months even! To watch E3 conferences those days while he takes the kids (teen sister nearly 12 & 14 Bowling or some fun event). So I can have 100% internet NO Youtube BS! Or Netflix BS! To clog the DAMN WIFI! THAT WAS THE WHOLE DAMN POINT OF HIM TAKING THEM SOMEWHERE! Now he tells me this Tuesday (Nintendo E3 conference WHICH IS ONLY ONLINE STREAM!! !!) he has to work. I was all upset and depressed AGAIN I've been planning this for MONTHS! Yet they feel No big deal watch it later or as I agree They can take care of themselves (12 & 14). But the internet THAT WAS THE MAIN DAMN POINT! Plus no loud TV in the other room s**t!! !!

To them "get over it" To them "Oh things change and you have to change if you have to work suddenly than so be it." I'VE BEEN PLANNING THIS FOR MONTHS! What will change! I will TRY to see if I can KEEP the kids off the internet for an hour or 2! Maybe it'll be ok even with Netflix/youtube running hope they get up a little later not sure how internet will do with possibly Netflix/youtube running + me streaming the conference!! ! :-(

Anyone relate? Just found this Tuesday work thing out YESTERDAY so YOU f*****g FIND OUT 4 DAYS BEFORE! SHEESH! WHEN I'VE BEEN PLANNING THIS FOR MONTHS!! ! PLUS YOU ARE ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS OFF MON/TUES!! !! ! I'll make it work! They may wake up late and they can entertain themselves (AKA not babies/toddles getting hurt). So that's a PLUS. But sort of depressing planning for MONTHS and to them no big deal things change!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 7:20 am

I know you don't want to hear this:

But change is inevitable in life.

It seems like this might work, anyhow. Kids like to sleep late.

Perhaps: Ask the kids if they wouldn't mind not using the internet for the time when you're going to watch the E3 conference. Maybe they'll go out and play ball or something.

Or give them money for a movie, if you could afford it.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 7:43 am

Yes I was considering letting them rent some RedBox movies since they have DVD players so they can watch those while I'm on the internet doing the conference thing. Just it seems EVERY YEAR is SOMETHING! One year it was a dog being left outside! Another it was Dad calling in the middle of a conference and I snapped at him (I got the 3rd degree when he got home OH you were rude!) Another last year was OH NO! Suddenly I'm not getting my medical supplies drop the conference thing and find a company NOW! SHEESH! I'M SICK OF IT ALWAYS BEING SOMETHING WHEN I'M BUSY I'M BUSY! That's usually my mindset!! !! Now a days I pause a video game which is fine or plan to play late in the night when everyone is already in bed so not many problems there. But I play GTA so the 12 year old comes in the other day and she heard a guy in the game say f**k. "Oh he's swearing and said a bad word" I said yes you aren't supposed to see this game. LOL! It was no big deal they know swear words anyway. I know things change in life but I wish I had more than a 4 day notice still!! !!

Hopefully I can make it work with RedBox movies sleeping in late perhaps they can stay up late Monday night then sleep in real late Tuesday. OR I can bribe them with a bag of candy or SOMETHING to stay off Netflix/Youtube. It's not a "Punishment" but I don't want to slow down internet for that 1hr. or 2 that I'm on there. It'll already be slow on Nintendo's end. Last year was over 9 (thousand 90 thousand some huge 9 number) and it kept freezing. (For me and many other gamers) So hopefully Nintendo has worked it out to work better this year.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 8:33 am

I get being upset about something you were looking forward to being messed up. However, you're old enough to make this connection:

Your dad is supporting your ass.
Your dad has to work.
Your dad's work supports your ass.
Go to work whenever you have to, dad, and thanks.

If my kid went ballistic on me because I had the temerity to go to work when I have to work, and was ranting about how she didn't get to play a video game, she would find her video-game setup sold the very next day. I think your parents are exceptionally nice, patient people.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 9:20 am

That must be some wifi you have because I ha no idea it can get jammed or clogged up if too many people are using it. It's not that way in our home.

You can always tell your siblings to not be online for those hours because of the thing you want to do and you had been looking forward to it for months. I don't think it will be too much to ask. It's a one time thing only right. Looks like you are already trying to work it out.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

zachrulez
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2014, 9:48 am

League_Girl wrote:
That must be some wifi you have because I ha no idea it can get jammed or clogged up if too many people are using it. It's not that way in our home.

You can always tell your siblings to not be online for those hours because of the thing you want to do and you had been looking forward to it for months. I don't think it will be too much to ask. It's a one time thing only right. Looks like you are already trying to work it out.

A cheap wifi router that isn't the greatest quality absolutely can bottleneck Internet access if wifi is how most of the devices connect to the Internet.

A better wifi router might actually solve the problems you're having with Internet access. Maybe a better cable modem too. I just offer that as something to think about because it could render the issues you are having moot.

Though lord knows I can relate to not reacting well to change. I can be just as bad when faced with it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 10:40 am

It is very common for people on the spectrum to have anxiety, sometime severe about change/transition My BRIEF-A test for Executive Functioning Deficits taken for my Aspergers assessment showed that 97% of the world adjusts to change better then I do.

What I have found over the years is that the new routine actually becomes a comfortable routine faster then I ever imagined it would most of the time. Then I wondered why I was so anxious about the change in the first place. Since I was diagnosed now I know why. An Executive Functioning deficit related to my Aspergers-Autism.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K78gvWXDgNM[/youtube]

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 06 Jun 2014, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 12:51 pm

I relate to this. Just because it is not a good or right response to the situation does not mean you can just turn it off.

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2014, 1:42 pm

Wow, that is some seriously crappy luck that he had to pick that one of all Tuesdays to go in when he usually doesn't. I think you're already handling it better than I would by even being coherent enough to write about it.

Does your father understand how important it is to you? If you've only mentioned it once or twice, it might not have gone through. Maybe try explaining it to him both in terms of your own feelings and in terms of how autistic people can have trouble with change.

If he still insists on going to work, maybe explain the same things to your siblings and ask them to stay off the internet. Offer to do them a favor in return.

If they won't, can you arrange for them to go over to friends' houses during the E3 stream? Can they go to a relative's house?

Alternatively, do you have a friend or relative with better internet who would let you watch it undisturbed at his/her house? Is there a library or cafe where you can watch it?

I really hope you can work something out. I know all too well how these seemingly minor things can feel like the end of the world and how impossible it can be to tell yourself that they aren't. Good luck!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 1:47 pm

Her father might HAVE to go to work. Keep that in mind.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 4:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know you don't want to hear this:

But change is inevitable in life.

It seems like this might work, anyhow. Kids like to sleep late.

Perhaps: Ask the kids if they wouldn't mind not using the internet for the time when you're going to watch the E3 conference. Maybe they'll go out and play ball or something.

Or give them money for a movie, if you could afford it.

We'll i don't like to sleep late!

mezzanotte
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 5:13 pm

Omg, I hate change too!

I was soo happy when I found these machines.