Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2014, 4:16 am

I recently watched the movie called 'The Life and Times of Walter Mitty'. It is a fairly simple movie and the events in the movie were not plausible other than in the imagination of Walter Mitty. Other than the violation of my desire for realism (although I could rationalise it as psychological phenomena purely in the mind of Walter Mitty), I found the movie to be profound. I am by and large a Walter Mitty. Has anyone else watched the movie and been impacted as I have?

opal
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 4:17 am

I have not seen at but I thought from the shorts it looked like a good movie.
It seemed from the shorts that it was about a guy who strived to fit in, that he had a lot to offer people but this was not recognised or appreciated, so he made up a fantasy world where he was a hero and accepted.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2014, 4:41 am

Probably best to watch it or any further discussions here might spoil it for you. He was actually successful just not that aware of it. Success wasn't ever what he cared for but he was without realising it. Then he became successful as he thought success should br. Its hard to explain without ruining the movie for people who haven't watched it. I strongly recommend it to anyone who is an aspie because its a movie that transcends the ordinariness of life and will give all aspies a sense of hope and purpose (I think). Walter Mitty seemed rather aspie-like to me. I could relate to him totally.

mezzanotte
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 9:00 am

The stories of James Thurber and Jean Shepherd are treasures.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 11:10 am

I haven't seen the movie but remember the short story it is based on from English class in high school. I think the short story was called The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. It was good - I could relate.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 11:49 am

Jabberwokky wrote:
I recently watched the movie called 'The Life and Times of Walter Mitty'. It is a fairly simple movie and the events in the movie were not plausible other than in the imagination of Walter Mitty. Other than the violation of my desire for realism (although I could rationalise it as psychological phenomena purely in the mind of Walter Mitty), I found the movie to be profound. I am by and large a Walter Mitty. Has anyone else watched the movie and been impacted as I have?

have not seen walter mitty but do know of it,can remember seeing the adverts for it.

can relate totaly,to the feeling of profoundly relating to a film though ,had had the very same experience with a film called 'the black balloon', the main character is one that has severe autism and had related so very closely to him in all his behaviors,life experiences, treatment from society, and the brutal treatment from a sibling [mine was infinitely worse than what his experience portrayed but self and sister had the same out come in the end].
after watching the film had wrote a blog post about how relateable had found it-
http://theresidentialautist.blogspot.co ... -film.html

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

VioletShadows
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2014, 4:31 pm

I watched it last weekend. Absolutely amazing. :)

I could relate to him as well, but not as much. It was like he couldn't tell the difference between the daydreams and reality, so it had me thinking a lot afterwards.

Aspie and proud- most of the time.

ConfusedAlot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jun 2014, 9:15 pm

I definitely related to Walter, and I'm a woman :D. I've always loved stories and escaping into fantasy and I am def ADHD in my inattentiveness (no diagnosis yet though!). However I have heard that there is this diganosis nicknamed the "Walter Mitty Syndrome" which is something NTs can get too, so even though I totally relate to him and the story, I think it's something some NTs can relate to as well. Apparently it's a condition where someone lives in their daydreams, to the point where they see no point in living out their fantasies or ambitions in real life and may not even be able to distinguish between reality and fantasy. I think it applies to Aspies in the way that life is difficult for us in general, so we may use imagination to escape this difficulty, as certain ambitions and fantasies may be altogether unreachable. But I don't think we have problems with reality vs fantasy generally (unless you have the co-morbid diagnosis).

I definitely cried throughout the movie (maybe it's just me, but I get super emotional in movies like this - I think it's a hyperempathy thing - do only women Aspies get this?), and it really did make me reflect, particularly on what I'm not noticing about the people around me and how they may see me.

I never read the stories, but definitely am putting them on my list!

businezguy
Raven
Raven

09 Jun 2014, 9:21 pm

Okay, wait a minute. Is there a symptom where Aspie's are hypersensitive to crying at movies? I would of thought the opposite? So, being a 37 year old man, it's hard to admit, but I'll tear up at movies more often then I'd like to admit. Heck, there are clearly movies made for women (otherwise known as chic flics) and if they are pretty well done, I'll be tearing up with everybody else.

If this was a symptom of being an Aspie, I'd feel a bit more masculine. Just a bit.

ConfusedAlot

09 Jun 2014, 9:52 pm

businezguy :lol: there is no shame in crying, even if you are a man :) . I think it's definitely a symptom in women, and possibly in men too. In fact, hyperempathy is listed as a common overlooked symptom in women - I often feel as though I feel others emotions with intensity, to the point where I can't sleep, eat or function - some people claim an almost empathic feeling when entering a room too, which I definitely get (basicly you feel anger or sadness for no reason and then you realise it's because you've probably picked up those emotions from the person next to you). My mother can't stand scary or very sad movies as it always puts her into a terrible state (she is Aspie too). My husband once cried when I was crying and I asked him why he was crying - he said because I was crying :lol: I believe he is Aspie too.

On the other side though, someone I don't know well will be telling me their upset and I just won't care - so I either care too much or not at all.

I don't know if all Aspies get this, but it seems to be common amongst my Aspie family, so please don't feel like you're not masculine! Besides, I'd like to think we live in an age where men can cry and it be ok :wink: