Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 9:10 am

I suspect that is largely a change in diagnosis criteria - I think the majority of ASD cases are cases of PDD/NOS, that not existed before 1988.

It will be interesting to compare the rate of new diagnosis of ASD before and after de DSM-5 (my bet - a strong reduction).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 9:33 am

Aspertastic424 wrote:
Must have been rough for those "thick children" back in the old days.

I know it is much better now, but I have heard that teachers in the UK are allowed to be tougher and more "old scool" than their American counterparts?

Also, I do thik it is best to mainstram a child with aspergrs if at all posible. That way he gets to sort of learn from the neurotypical kids in a sense. At least they should partly socialize with NT kids. I just think there is a lot to learn from NT kids, as long as interaction isnt terribly abusive or bullying.....

I was mainstreamed and yeah mostly just got bullying and ostracism out of it....then again it was not known I was on the spectrum, but not sure that knowledge would have made a positive difference or not.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 10:43 am

It may or may not be as complex as is thought.

I do not think autism was as prevalent in my parents generation but they were exposed to direct pesticides and other new chemicals in plastics, etc. It was prevalent, but undiagnosed in my generation and DDT spraying only stopped when I was about 8-9 maybe. But other pesticides and a whole slew of other chemicals came along in perfusion. It is very prevalent in my children's generation, just more diagnosed and perhaps somewhat more severe.

This is just my speculation I know. And you are right about single studies. But I fully expect the future will bare this out and reveal an increase in autism as result of chemical exposures.

One way to damage this theory would be to show that countries/places that did not use such chemicals show the same prevalence of autism as those that did.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 10:48 am

DDT was banned in 1971, when I was 10.

Autism (Kanner) was a recognized entity, saddled with a poor prognosis,

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 12:05 pm

To state this more clearly:

Autism always exsisted, and likely could be caused by different things, but was at a certain level.

Sometime in the 20th century, perhaps the 20's-60's essentially a mass poisoning took place via pesticides, plastics, perhaps heavy metals, etc.

This caused a significant jump in autism, in the children of those exposed.

New cases do not require new chemical exposure, because of the strong hereditary nature of autism, and it is to a degree now self sustaining.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 3:50 pm

Just thought I'd add this which turned up in study a few years back. Another significant pointer to environmental pollution/poisoning.

"Researchers found that children whose families lived within 1,000 feet from a freeway at birth ? about 10% of the children in the study ? were twice as likely to have autism as those who lived farther from a highway..."

http://healthland.time.com/2010/12/17/s ... tism-risk/

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 5:41 pm

We're diagnosing it more these days. I don't believe in the vaccines lie.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 10:33 pm

I think the vaccines was a good thing to investigate, but what I have seen so far in studies does not bare out it being a cause of autism.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 1:30 am

Were merely taking over the world that's all in about 100 years everyone will be autistic!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

drchcat85
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2015, 6:43 pm

Many parents of autistic kids, are in the broader autistic phenotype. This can be diagnosed as PDD-NOS or even Asperger, if the person requires a formal diagnosis. In DSM 5, all this conditions are diagnosed as Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 1. The number of persons that require diagnosis are increased in last years. I think, this is one of the many causes of high incidence in ASD.

Myers Briggs type - INFP
My brother has classic autism; I am not native English speaker;
Autism spectrum is not disorder, is neurodiversity, talent and originality!

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 2:28 am

I think it's due to women ingesting drugs, both prescription and otherwise, before and during pregnancy.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 3:15 am

There must be millions of epigenetic effects like that which we don't yet know about - the field is so new.