Has anyone point-blank said "I don't like you"?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2020, 1:17 pm

Or, "I don't like your kind" or something of the sort?? (In adulthood, not childhood.)

Of course, in true NT fashion, 90% of the "I don't like you" sentiment conveyed by others will be nonverbal...which we miss, or perhaps deliberately shut out on some level, to blunt the emotional pain we've suffered beyond the typical person. :( 8O

But when it comes to that 10% of cases where a somewhat antagonistic individual says it to your face, how do you respond?

I can't recall very well a time it happened to me verbally in adulthood, but I would have diffused it in a more neutral or subtle turn-the-tables manner, like "well, if there's one thing I've learned in life, nobody is going to like everyone they meet... that's something I've come to accept as part of emotional maturity."

You could also self-deprecate and say "well, it's true that I was never cut out to be a politician or a car salesman, but maybe that's a good thing...at least I'm not gonna try to BS you or take advantage of you" :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2020, 4:47 pm

That’s probably a good way to approach it.

It’s certainly better than feeling sorry for yourself and thinking the whole world is against you.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2020, 4:58 pm

Jayo wrote:
Has anyone point-blank said "I don't like you"?
Many times; usually after I've succeeded where they have failed -- opposing "Quiz Bowl" team-members, for example.

I once pulled out of thin air the name of the actor who played Cpt. Bligh in "Mutiny on the Bounty" (1962) opposite Marlon Brando in the final two seconds of a match, and won the $1,000 first prize for my team.  The opposing team's captain told me point-blank, and if front of everyone there that she hated me.

She went home with her pride.

I went home with $250 ($1,000 split between 3 players and our captain).

:D (The actor's name was "Trevor Howard".)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2020, 5:05 pm

No not in adulthood. I've had people show it through their actions but not asserted it.

edited to put in spoiler thing to save on occupying space with unnecessary detail in thread

In childhood there was the girl Ashley I mentioned elsewhere. Her mom basically brainwashed her AND told her and her friends to pick on me and another girl for a really lame reason. And she told me so (that's how she started her monologue 'i dont like you or your people' ) despite not needing to I didn't even initiate conversation or anything.

It was at a time that there was a crazy man in Ontario who had killed his daughter and run her body through a meat grinder (if I remember correctly) and he was originally from our original country, so she talked to me about that being the reason she didn't like me, as her parents said XYZ (like we were all the same). I didn't say anything nor did I take it to heart, I just felt bad that her mom had put that worldview in her daughter.

Last edited by blooiejagwa on 13 Aug 2020, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2020, 5:19 pm

I've had people tell me, "You're weird" and "There's something wrong with you."

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2020, 5:32 pm

I did myself more times than I would've count.

No surprises if someone shares the sentiment.

I can sense anyone who doesn't like me specifically -- from those who doesn't like everyone in general, or those who just happened to be easily crossed, or just someone in concern yet conveys more impatience than hate, or just plain antagonistic towards whatever type anyone or myself happened to be in.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2020, 5:49 pm

I always feel hurt when someone doesn't like me - unless it's for a valid reason. But if it's for no reason, I don't see why one wouldn't like you, and I think that if there isn't a reason not to like you then that person is just very shallow or judgemental.

If I'd had an argument with someone and we often clashed and just didn't get on, I wouldn't feel so sensitive about them not liking me. But if I am always nice to somebody and we get on well but they seem to like everyone else more than me, then that's when I do feel hurt.

It's not just a pragmatic case of "you can't be liked by everyone", because most humans only dislike someone for a reason, and also it is quite natural for humans to feel hurt when they sense that someone doesn't like them for no reason.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2020, 5:59 pm

"I don't like you"

I haven't heard it since childhood. Kids will say this, not adults.

As my mom told me in 7th grade "Not everyone is going to like you" and she is right. I see I won't always get along with everyone and sometimes it's because we both have different perspectives and think too differently so we will never understand each other. Plus I have different communication than they do. I was even surprised when she told me how other moms in our neighborhood didn't like her. I asked her why would someone not like her, she is nice and not mean. She said it was because she would keep confronting them about their kids being mean to me. They didn't like her coming to their house and ringing their doorbell to tell them their kid was involved throwing pinecones over the fence at me. My mom kept doing this until they finally stopped and I can remember my mom telling me when I was 8 "The moms got tired of me coming to their house complaining about their kids throwing pine cones at you so they finally told them to stop so I would quit bugging them about it." :lol:

Then when I was 13 she told me this was the reason why she wasn't liked. So I learned then no matter how good you are, someone out there will have a reason to not like you. Maybe it was because you won the spelling bee. Looking back I can see kids didn't like me because I talked funny or acted too different.

As an adult, I can usually tell online when someone doesn't like me but in real life it's tricky.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

whatacrazyride
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2020, 9:26 pm

I have been told "I don't like you", and chances are, I don't care (I do not have enough energy to dislike someone). I would rather someone tell me "I don't like you" then try to play nice with me. As a child, I wanted everyone to like me; as an adult, I could not care less. It's their problem, and not mine. That said, if I am in the wrong, I will attempt to correct it. I can't spend my life trying to please everyone; I will go insane.

I have been called an "as*hole" at work on multiple occasions, usually by two or three women who work in the same department. I have to make some tough decisions and I do not take their emotions or feelings into account and it makes them angry. One told me that they didn't like me and told me to "go to hell". I just laughed and moved on. I do not like being rejected though, but who does?

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2020, 9:51 pm

League_Girl wrote:
"I don't like you"

I haven't heard it since childhood. Kids will say this, not adults.

As my mom told me in 7th grade "Not everyone is going to like you" and she is right. I see I won't always get along with everyone and sometimes it's because we both have different perspectives and think too differently so we will never understand each other. Plus I have different communication than they do. I was even surprised when she told me how other moms in our neighborhood didn't like her. I asked her why would someone not like her, she is nice and not mean. She said it was because she would keep confronting them about their kids being mean to me. They didn't like her coming to their house and ringing their doorbell to tell them their kid was involved throwing pinecones over the fence at me. My mom kept doing this until they finally stopped and I can remember my mom telling me when I was 8 "The moms got tired of me coming to their house complaining about their kids throwing pine cones at you so they finally told them to stop so I would quit bugging them about it." :lol:

Then when I was 13 she told me this was the reason why she wasn't liked. So I learned then no matter how good you are, someone out there will have a reason to not like you. Maybe it was because you won the spelling bee. Looking back I can see kids didn't like me because I talked funny or acted too different.

As an adult, I can usually tell online when someone doesn't like me but in real life it's tricky.

Wow what is it with bullies and throwing pinecones at their targets??! Sorry to read that
Glad your mother stood up about it and didn't let them get away with it.
The entitlement of those mothers to take offence to that...if my kid threw things at others (and he did! At daycare and at his oen brother) I would be apologetic and feel the opposite of those mothers. I remember hugging those kids and telling him off in front of them so they knew their importance. Teacher was dismissing it after a while but i wdnt let her and wd still handle it that way while telling him to come and say sorry.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 12:52 am

yes. :| oh well, can't please everybody, or even anybody but that's alright too. when i am addressed thusly, i consider it safe to not look at them and to get out of their presence in a nonchalant way.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 12:55 am

Probably depends on how well you know the person

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2020, 2:32 am

Sixth grade campers in a summer camp where I worked as their camp counselor told me 'We do not like you' with a sly smile enjoying the cruelty and power play of what they were saying. They could tell I wasn't as social or popular as the other counselors neither among the kids, nor other counselors. The whole camp was really screwed up and that was the norm with popular kids and counselors going around being mean to unpopular kids.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 2:42 am

idntonkw wrote:
Sixth grade campers in a summer camp where I worked as their camp counselor told me 'We do not like you' with a sly smile enjoying the cruelty and power play of what they were saying. They could tell I wasn't as social or popular as the other counselors neither among the kids, nor other counselors. The whole camp was really screwed up and that was the norm with popular kids and counselors going around being mean to unpopular kids.

it's always interesting that 'NT' default bullying/dog-eat-dog tendencies and behaviour esp in groups is not 'psychologically dysfunctional' but the bullied person's internal withdrawal or protective reserve, or reactions to BEING bullied is. :roll:
the person poking the tiger in its pen with a sharp stick - but it's the tiger which is aggressive and needs discipline, for growling back. (have not seen this happen at zoos in N America but have in other countries and documentaries) that type of thing.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 10:50 am

blooiejagwa wrote:
idntonkw wrote:

it's always interesting that 'NT' default bullying/dog-eat-dog tendencies and behaviour esp in groups is not 'psychologically dysfunctional' but the bullied person's internal withdrawal or protective reserve, or reactions to BEING bullied is. :roll:
the person poking the tiger in its pen with a sharp stick - but it's the tiger which is aggressive and needs discipline, for growling back. (have not seen this happen at zoos in N America but have in other countries and documentaries) that type of thing.

^^^THIS. Exactly. It's the perverse tribal-hierarchical nature of neurotypicalism. People in their "in-group" are more likely to be highly critical of actions of those outside their in-group. Just like the institutional bias in the school system, when a "special" or "different" kid stands up for himself to a bully with physical force, he gets suspended for 2-3 days and the bully is the "victim" because he's the normal one. :twisted:

Because once it reaches the point of us getting harassed, we're already deemed as mentally deficient, "less-than", the lepers, whatever pejorative. Empathic justice is virtually non-existent. Retaliating in that situation would be akin to a Jew in 1930s Germany standing up to an abusive "pure" German, even if in self-defence, it is the Jew who would be disproportionately punished :x :x 8O

To paraphrase Nietzsche, "the madness of the group is normal, the madness of one is unacceptable".

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 1:51 pm

Thus far I don't re anyone telling me that

Maybe forgot

Usually they show they don't like you with their actions and other statements

Everyone is biased

If someone told you "I don't like you", that could be more convenient for you than if they demonstrated it subtly in ways autistics failed to interpret