I may have an assessment scheduled soon!

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:13 pm

I emailed a local autism services agency asking if they do assessments for adults. I gave a brief explanation of my traits and that I would like to have an assessment to know for sure if I'm on the spectrum.

Here was the reply I got:

Dear Mr. ,jetbuilder

"Yes, we do assessments for adults as well as children. I am one of the assessor?s and from reading through your self-report, I believe an assessment would be an appropriate choice for you. Please speak with our admission staff. Their names and numbers are below to discuss costs and dates for scheduling. Their names and numbers are below to discuss costs and dates for scheduling. I would be happy to discuss any questions or concerns you may still have, my contact information is below as well."....................

They sent me another email talking about what forms I need to fill out, when they have an opening for an assessment (July), and cost. They said that they can't set an appt until all paperwork is received and payment is determined. So now I just have to figure out how to come up with the money. I told them that money may be an issue and they recommended that I apply for a scholarship.

I really hope that I'll be able to get this done. I can't wait to finally have an answer, and hopefully an official Dx.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Dr_Cheeba
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2014, 2:19 pm

F*ck yeah man, good luck!

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 3:24 pm

I hope you get your appointment soon and everything goes well! It's cool that they have scholarships available for adults. :)

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 4:10 pm

How did you manage to do this?! I sent a similar e-mail a few months ago to a local agency and they didn't even care to answer me...
Anyway. Good luck! I hope the scholarship thing works for you and you get the diagnosis without any problems.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 7:29 am

I finally got my assessment packet. I'm actually quite frustrated because it has apparently been here for a week because my room mates didn't tell me it arrived in the mail. :evil:

I'm gonna fill everything out as soon as I get home from work and get it sent back out as soon as I can. They have a scholarship program and they base one's eligibility on the pre-assessment papers. I really hope I qualify, because even though the assessment is relatively cheap, I'm gonna have a very hard time coming up with the money. If I do get a scholarship, I'll be able to schedule my assessment in July!

Getting excited (and very nervous) already!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 6:41 pm

I hope you get it. Keep us updated.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 12:13 am

That's so exciting! I'm happy for you Jetbuilder :D I really hope this works out for you! I remember how nervous I felt back in December when I knew I was officially on the waiting list for an assessment. I counted down the days (there were 59 of them) like clockwork.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 7:46 am

I looked through the paperwork, and it appears that it was intended for a parent describing their child. I'm not sure how to answer these. I emailed the person who sent it asking for clarification on how I should fill it out. I asked if I should answer with my current characteristics, or as I was when I was a kid..... So, I haven't filled much of it out yet. I guess I could just have my mom fill it out, but I'm kind of worried that she won't remember the odd traits I had when I was young that I remember.

The parts I have filled out though, I ended up adding a lot of small notes explaining my answer in more detail. I think I'm also going to write out a few pages of notes explaining how I got to where I am in regards to thinking I'm on the spectrum.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 7:50 am

.Best .
Scholarship for what ?
I haven't read this whole line yet...

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 7:54 am

ASS-P wrote:
.Best .
Scholarship for what ?
I haven't read this whole line yet...

They offer "scholarships" that would pay for the assessment. It's relatively cheap, but I still can't afford to pay for it myself before July. :(

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 11:58 am

I may have my initial interview as soon as next Thursday. It's not going to be a part of the assessment itself, it's just an interview with one of the assessors to discuss services they offer and their suggestions on what may benefit me. She said that they don't charge anything for this interview, and it isn't a part of getting a diagnosis, bit she can give her impressions and opinion on if I am on the spectrum or not.

I'm getting quite excited, and yet a bit nervous, about moving forward in this process!

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 2:44 pm

Too lucky! I hope it all goes well for you!

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 10:03 pm

Good luck with your assessment. :)

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 11:51 pm

Good luck! I look forward to an update :)

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 11:20 am

It's official, I have an appointment for Thursday morning!

My best friend is going with me too for support and to give her perspective.

I can't wait! I'm really hoping for something like an "unofficial Dx" on that appointment and to have a date for my official assessment.