Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2014, 5:53 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any strategies for dealing with change.

Even with minor change, I struggle. Big changes are awful. I am a teacher and always struggle when it gets near the start of the new school year.

I shutdown, get really depressed and have suicidal thoughts. These do pass within a couple of weeks but I feel like I am constantly fighting for my life and have no idea what I will do if I outlive my father who is the only person who really gets this.

I am waiting for assessment, but don't think I will able to get much support after as I just about hold down my job etc.

I have had to take time off work for this before. I just don't think I can keep fighting all the time.

I have tried cbt but the lady kept asking about feelings and i couldn't answer her as i was just shutting down

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 10:04 pm

The way I deal with change is to know about them beforehand, and know what to expect, then I'm usually fine with them. Besides that I also like to keep as much as possible constant, so even when there are big changes in my routine, parallel consistencies keep me sane.

I wish I could be better help but these usually do the trick for me.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 12:54 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
The way I deal with change is to know about them beforehand, and know what to expect, then I'm usually fine with them. Besides that I also like to keep as much as possible constant, so even when there are big changes in my routine, parallel consistencies keep me sane.

^^^ exactly that. Not big on change myself but to the extent I can do the above I'm able to keep from having a nuclear grade metdown.

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2014, 7:42 pm

Thanks guys, I think I am slowly getting better at dealing with change but am always amazed at people who just do things spontaneously. The one thing that is keeping me going at the moment is that one of my colleagues is traveling to a new job the other side of the world, whereas I only have to deal with a new load of students. Phew!

Hi_Im_B0B
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Aug 2014, 2:07 am

perhaps you could try looking at things as being cyclic. yes, you have new students to deal with, but that's an every year thing. you may have new textbooks to teach from, but that happens every 50 or 60 years too (a little educator humor there - mom taught 4th for like forever). there's going to be variations in the details from year to year, but a teacher's life is far more structured than many other occupations, so try to keep sight of that overall structure.

personally, if i'm given enough forewarning to prepare for it, i think i deal with change pretty well. but spring a change in plans on me last-minute..... yah, it may not be pretty.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2014, 2:15 am

Hi_Im_B0B wrote:
personally, if i'm given enough forewarning to prepare for it, i think i deal with change pretty well. but spring a change in plans on me last-minute..... yah, it may not be pretty.

Same here!

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

timf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 7:50 am

Quote:
Even with minor change, I struggle. Big changes are awful. I am a teacher and always struggle when it gets near the start of the new school year.

In a situation like this it might help to focus on some core elements such as your desk layout, the location of the supplies you are going to use, what the elements of the room you are going to use.

This solid core of things you have control over can help to create a more solid framework.

The next layer to focus on are the things that are fixed over which you have no control such as new administrative regulations, procedures, and paperwork.

You want to restrict letting your mind wander over all of the possibilities the students can create because you have no control and some of them can get pretty wild.

If you look at things as solid, fixed, and potential. you can see where the potential could cause a lot of anxiety. You may feel less anxious by focusing more on things that are settled.

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2014, 9:23 am

Thanks

I like the idea of the solid, fixed and potential. Funnily enough, I never have a problem with the students, I have extremely wild students but its the office that does my head in and the constant new policies.

When I'm with the students, I feel like I can relax...weird huh?!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 10:02 am

I like to learn as many facts about the changes as I can.
For what facts I don't have I fill in the blanks with probabilities based on whatever facts I know.
Probability as opposed to possibility is important. If I go with possibility it will most likely be negative and that will bring apprehension that I will fixate on.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 7:43 pm

little_blue_jay wrote:
Hi_Im_B0B wrote:

Same here!

Ditto. Usually it's minor and seemingly meaningless changes for others.