Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 9:29 pm

I started speaking in full sentences when I was four months old.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 9:42 pm

I believe that! I think I was the same way as well!

I wonder if this is a very common trait for people with AS.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 9:46 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
I believe that! I think I was the same way as well!

I wonder if this is a very common trait for people with AS.

It is very common! :)

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 10:36 pm

I didn't speak until very late, but then was running several years ahead of my peers when I started. I was also reading at an extremely early age - the encyclopediae were my favorites. And I remembered it. My parents told me they were afraid "something was wrong with me" when I didn't talk. Then they regretted when I did start, because I wouldn't shut up.

My daughter did little babble as an infant, but did go through the one and two-word phrases thing at the appropriate time. The she just started busting out with complex sentences that had her daycare workers calling me on the phone every day to tell me what she'd said. She was reading at the late 4/5th grade level when she was five years old.

AS traits?

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 11:45 pm

I've always been told my first word was "pocketbook." I skipped all those monosyllabic words and went straight for the hard ones.

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 12:31 am

my 6 yr old didn't talk as infant, at 18 months he was enrolled in First Steps (an early childhood intervention system here) and said his first two word phrase (bye bye pig) at 2 yrs. and then took off like a rocket! Hasn't stopped talking since and reads encyclopedias and dictionaries, he was reading at 3 1/2 years of age! I guess he's making up for lost time!

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 11:19 am

jaleb wrote:
my 6 yr old didn't talk as infant, at 18 months he was enrolled in First Steps (an early childhood intervention system here) and said his first two word phrase (bye bye pig) at 2 yrs. and then took off like a rocket! Hasn't stopped talking since and reads encyclopedias and dictionaries, he was reading at 3 1/2 years of age! I guess he's making up for lost time!

That SO sounds like me.

Be prepared for a lot of time at the library! :)

Freawaru
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2007, 11:42 am

Me too. I spoke early and went straight from zero to full fluency. Family legend has me in a hotel dining room lecturing a professor of palaeontology on the subject of dinosaurs... at three years old. I look at small children now and think I was never like that... It's kind of a lonely thought really.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 12:19 pm

I started late, as well. Never cared to say anything and when I did, it wasn't the right word.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 1:22 pm

I learned to speak in complete words before I turned one. Well, I had trouble pronouncing some letters, I still spoke in complete words. All throughout my childhood, my vocabulary and speaking style was years ahead of my peers. Needless to say, that didn't make me popular.

Blind
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Mar 2007, 1:34 pm

I could pronounce carbiolet and tyrannosauros rex one years old but I couldnt pronounce wash (the swedish version of it).

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 4:38 pm

My mom said that I spoke complete sentences and I actually knew what I was talking bout at 4 months old.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 4:55 pm

dgd1788 wrote:
My mom said that I spoke complete sentences and I actually knew what I was talking bout at 4 months old.

Well, I am often not all that talkative now. My mother will commit to only 2 things. 8-(

1. I NEVER babbled or spoke baby talk.
2. I was talking full 100% intelligible sentences between 14 and 18 months. Luckily, I had a hernia, so the high point can be narrowed down to the day. I wonder if they have a record of my asking for something. That would be NEAT.

Who knows when I COULD have talked. Back then, I was often quiet. I didn't speak much, etc...

Steve

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 5:28 pm

I would ask what things were a lot, like "What's that?" and they would tell me what it was and I would remember.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 5:53 pm

dgd1788 wrote:
I would ask what things were a lot, like "What's that?" and they would tell me what it was and I would remember.

Yeah, when I spoke earlier, that was what most of my statements were. When I learned to read, I got a good sized dictionary, and READ. I could go through 10-15 levels for ONE word, and I remembered all THAT also! OH, those WERE the days!

Steve

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 5:56 pm

It is interesting because speaking fluently that young is atypical in Child Psychology.