I can't express myself through words or writing

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Spectacles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Aug 2014, 11:26 pm

I struggle with communication, both written and verbal. For some classes, I've noticed that I can write more fluidly if I imitate a book I recently read. For reasons I don't understand, imitating someone else's style provides a medium that I otherwise can't produce.

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2014, 1:24 am

I have the most difficult time translating my thoughts into coherent language. While there's a jumble of words bumping into each other in my head, the process of stringing them into sentences takes me longer than it would for most people. As a result, I could begin a sentence only to pause before I finish it (embarrassing, I know). With writing, I could at least complete my thoughts without making it look like I just trailed off for no reason.

I like Naturalist's idea of diagramming-I use a similar method before I talk on the phone, so I'd have something to refer to while speaking.

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 6:35 am

It might help if you identified the problem first, then came up with strategies to compensate for it. What exactly is the problem? You have trouble organising your thoughts? Merril's word mapping suggestion is a good one in my opinion.

In the beginning you will feel frustrated but with practice it will become easier.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2014, 2:16 pm

Creative writing classes may be beneficial!

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2014, 5:22 pm

Could be dysgraphia. I'm like that, too. Unfortunately, learning disability (or learning difficulty, for the UK members) evaluations cost a fortune around here, so I won't know if it is until I can save up the money or find someone who will have mercy and evaluate me for free.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 5:28 pm

I also found writing difficult, but I practiced on forums for many years. There's no pressure there, most people ignore you anyway.

ginarex
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jun 2015, 8:33 pm

First: Very few people are good writers. Writing is not just saying clever things, it requires skills that must be learned. (American) public schools are terrible at teaching students to write. You can learn on your own: reading a lot is a great start, but read quality writers - The Classics - because you can see how good writing is structured. Also, get a handbook for writers - a guide to grammar and word usage. Once you become aware of a few rules, you will find yourself much more confident.

As an Asperger myself, I don't write fiction; it's alien to how my brain processes information. I write creative non-fiction and a blog. Also, Aspergers tend to be visual thinkers, so I began writing short descriptions of what I see around me. It was a great place to start.

Writing is hard work; it's harder if you imagine that everyone else finds it easy. They don't.